Canon Thursday Photo 2013: #9

nathangardner

<blockquote>

<p><strong><em>Important</em></strong><em>:</em> please keep your image under 700 pixels wide/high for in-line viewing, and <em><strong>please try to keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</strong></em>. Note that <strong>this includes <a id="_GPLITA_2" title="Click to Continue > by Coupon Companion Plugin" href="/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00bKAV" rel="nofollow">photos</a> hosted off-site </strong>(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you <strong>new to this thread</strong>? <a id="_GPLITA_1" title="Click to Continue > by Coupon Companion Plugin" href="/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00bKAV" rel="nofollow">The general</a> guidelines for these Thursday threads are <a href="/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00X9hq" rel="nofollow"><strong>right here</strong></a>. Remember: only 3 images each week!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Happy Thursday everyone! Spring is almost here...hopefully. We've had a (very) few warmer days here in Kentucky, but at least the cold days aren't as cold and March is just around the corner, so hopefully some warm weather will arrive near everyone soon. This past weekend my girlfriend and I went to see her Kentucky Wildcats down the road in Lexington, KY. We made a day out of it and took the opportunity to spend the day at the Red River Gorge Geological Area in the Daniel Boone National Forest before the game. Here is a shot of Princess Arch from our trip.</p>

<p>I’m on the road, as usual, and bopping around Asia so here are some images from a couple of days ago.</p>

<p>This is the navigation display on our flight from Tokyo to Beijing the other night. We were over Seoul, South Korea at the time and ZKPY is the airport in Pyongyang, North Korea. Our route was only about 10 miles south of the DMZ so I loaded Pyongyang into the nav computer for situational awareness and to keep track of the bad guys. My copilot is a full colonel in the Air Force Reserves, however, so I told him I was loading it in case he wanted to defect. Apparently, former fighter pilots have no sense of humor because he didn’t think that was very funny at all.</p><div>00bOl0-522471584.jpg.aee6fdf7e809aee3693fdcf49449e096.jpg</div>

<p>You see this portrait on the news all the time. It’s Chairman Mao keeping watch on Tiananmen Square in downtown Beijing. That Chinese soldier was looking into the smoggy sun and had his eyes closed for every shot. I guess the Communists have no appreciation for my artistic vision.</p><div>00bOl1-522471684.jpg.bd2ef236bc17c355671787aed34298bf.jpg</div>

<p>This little girl was fascinated by the blue-eyed barbarian she found exploring the Forbidden City with a camera. She was a sweetheart and the fact that I had purchased and was wearing a Chinese army cap with a big red star on it may have put her at ease. The Colonel bought one too, but said he was afraid to wear it until after he retired from the military. I retired from the military over 10 years ago, so I didn’t have that problem.</p><div>00bOl5-522471784.jpg.20b53ebb1916e3d16c70e96b5a5ee9c5.jpg</div>

<p>Northern elephant seals on a beach in Point Reyes. One has just given birth to a calf, as evidenced by the red sand and the swarming seagulls. The red was washed away by wave action in less than five minutes. I saw two births while I was there. Both the males and females stay on the beach with their pups for 3-5 weeks until they are weaned, going without food themselves.</p><div>00bOlC-522473784.jpg.5c56086cfd2f9a6fac83aad9e5fe8ea9.jpg</div>

<p>Dave C - that little girl looks like she was thrilled to have her photo taken; what a cutie!<br>

Horse E - project of yours? Gotta love those old Caddies.</p>

<p>Pekin Robin (captive at the local aviary). A favorite to observe. These guys are quick and flit about in dense foliage giving only brief glimpses. It is dark in this aviary which makes it that much more of a challenge. This one was at ISO 6400, f/5.6, 1/250s with a 100-400L IS on a 5D3.</p><div>00bOlt-522479584.jpg.f9f7758929eaf9faa76bd5e65b28cb6d.jpg</div>

<p>Last weekend I had my first experience of a photographers' pit at a fashion show, at the London Fashion Weekend.<br />I enjoyed it and it was good to take on a new challenge. <br /> I went with the 7D+70-200/2.8 IS for the catwalk shots, because it enabled me to isolate the models against the light at one end and against the black at the near end. Looking at the shots afterwards, I noticed that the show had been a challenge for one of the younger models too.<br>

7D+70-200/2.8 IS, iso-400, f4, 1/1000, -2/3 ev (Later I went to spot metering)<br>

<a title="London Fashion Weekend by Peter Meade, on Flickr" href=" London Fashion Weekend src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/8505413186_fe870ff0f9_c.jpg" alt="London Fashion Weekend" width="800" height="533" /></a></p>

<p>Mark, that's very impressive at iso 6400. I haven't had much free time lately. My daughter is getting married in October but my wife has a very long list of things to do around the house. I suspect my photography addiction will be suspended from time to time over the next few months. I did shoot the dress rehearsal of our spring musical Footloose on Tuesday night. Not an easy show to shoot, but here's one.</p><div>00bOmX-522485684.jpg.7dc03462e154262465875b4eb7208b3a.jpg</div>

<p>On the one good shooting day this week, I finally got this barn. It's about 1/4 mile off a road I drive frequently, and all you can see from there is the roof. So, I did some discreet trespassing (no signs) and got this shot. Not great, but at least now I can stop staring at the roof when I drive by and pay attention to traffic...</p><div>00bOnC-522495584.jpg.db6bb20e2fa48abca25fe81f2cd21f25.jpg</div>