Belize

Larry_G1664882113

<p>We are considering a trip to either Belize or Hawaii in late 2013 - Hawaii might be around October, Belize could be later in early December. We realize that Hawaii is the U.S., not Central America, but are trying to decide which trip to take. We'd be gone about two weeks in either location. The Big Island (Hawaii, Maui, and possibly Kauai interest us in Hawaii. We'd appreciate good examples of photo opportunities and sights to see. Our interest is cultural, historical, nature, and landscape photography. Thanks. Larry </p>

<p>Alan's comment about accommodations is very true! But the seafood in Belize is great. Be sure to try the key lime pie. And the beer (Beliken) ain't bad either.</p>

<p>There are interesting photographic opportunities in Belize, but you would have to work for them. Lots of interesting nature to work with, especially plants and trees. There are animals, but they are harder to find. Some great history - you won't find Mayan ruins in Hawaii! The people in Belize are very friendly, and I think would be open to street photography. But Belize is a very small country, and the selection of streets in limited - there are street photography opportunities in Belize City, but in the smaller towns you would need to develop relationships with individuals and follow them around. English is the primary language, so sommunications would not be a problem.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I would choose Hawaii, but maybe that's just because I've seen Belize, and in my opinion, the world under water is the most interesting part of Belize. If you will be shooting with a waterproof camera, then the out islands of Belize offer you second-to-none reef photo opportunities. I would LOVE to shoot the beaches and lava flows on the big island in Hawaii. Apparently Maui is a MUST SEE, so if you go to Hawaii, make sure you don't spend ALL your time on the big island. Visit Maui.</p>

<p>Oh, and much of Jurassic park was filmed on Kaua'i and O'ahu. Maybe that will help you figure out what to do, if you decide to visit Hawaii.</p>

<p>http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090524090740AAVxtrG</p>

<p>Frankly, I think a quick search of photos on images.google.com will give you an idea what sort of landscape photos you can likely shoot in the two destinations. The people photos in Belize are likely to be more interesting, but then again, you are probably more likely to get great photos of girls in grass skirts in Hawaii, if that's your thing.</p>

<p>;)</p>

<p>I've been to both places three times and I love each one for different reasons.<br>

First of all, the people in Belize are truly wonderful. I feel like a visitor, not a tourist in Belize. Belize is coral reefs (in decline, I'm afriad to say) , Mayan ruins, Mestizo and Garifuna culture, rainforest (southern Belize). Think Howler and Spider Monkeys, fantastic birdlife, (almost all native) and easy going Caribbean lifestyle. Ziplining, hikes, canoeing, snorkeling, caving, laid lack beach culture and scuba. More rustic generally than Hawaii. And its a lot less expensive than Hawaii.<br>

Hawaii, of course, is island specific. If reefs are your thing , Hawaii's can be wonderful, but Hawaiian reefs are in trouble too, especially on Kauai and Oahu. There are beautiful gardens, spectacular mountain views on Hawaii and Maui, the road to Hana (Maui). the Na Pali Coast and the Grandcayon of the Pacific Waimea Canyon (Kauai) Waterfalls and rainbows. If you do go to Hawaii know what you are after first because each island has such different things to offer. It's all true. What I like least about Hawaii (outside of the price) is a lot of it feels manicured. Even, I'm sorry to say, the Hawaiian culture put forward for tourists. If you are looking for the real Hawaii you need to get off the beaten path, think a market in Hilo, something a little more genuine. You will certainly feel more like a tourist in Hawaii, but that has its benefits too.<br>

That's it in a nutshell. As a natural history photographer myself I think I enjoy Belize more because there is more indigenous wildlife, for landscapes Hawaii, to experience genuine cultural (as a visitor) Belize,and for adventure maybe a nod to Hawaii. </p>

<p>I have been to Hawaii many times and the rest of the Pacific as well. I find Hawaii to have mostly "B" scenery with only a few exceptions. There is much more culture intact in Tonga, Cook Islands, Fiji, Samoa and French Polynesia. The difference in beautiful scenery is striking. Lots of "A" scenery in those places. </p>

<p>About five years ago I was on a beach in southern Yucatan, close to the Belize border and must say that it was a mess from a massive hurricane. Not sure if that affected the coast of northern Belize though. From what I saw, it will take decades to recover to the natural beauty it once was. Areas inland still looked okay. </p>

<p>I have visited Belize a half a dozen times or so and know it quite well.<br>

Belize is small, charming, and quite old fashioned. It has truly idyllic tropical islands (as good as any I've seen in the Caribbean) but with the adventure of Central American tropical forests which are reasonably accessible and full of wildlife.<br>

Whenever I've visited I avoid the resorts in the North ( Ambergris, Caye Caulker etc) just because they look a bit touristy - but that is very much a personal preference, I'm sure others are very happy there, I tend to head down South<br>

The main difference that does occur to me between the two countries is that Belize is very much a developing country with all that that entails ( although I've never visited Hawaii I am assuming that as part of the US it is not). This means that it can be a little rough and ready at times as well as beautiful. All the people I've met have always been delightful and friendly but it is worth being aware of your security. I personally would hesitate for instance in recommending Belize City as an ideal location for street photography!<br>

A last thought; I'm not sure the beginning of December is the best time to visit. The hurricane season has only just finished and I believe it sometimes can be a little chilly in the evenings.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>With Belize, it's a very different experience if you're on the mainland and jungle (say...visiting Xunantunich or Altun Ha) vs. being in the Cayes or San Pedro. It's been a couple of years since I"ve been to either but I think Belize (in terms of once you get there) would be a cheaper (daily costs for lodging and food). Both offer tremendous photographic experiences--far more than you can take advantage of in 2 weeks. Belize also has the advantage of being able to venture over into Mexico (Chetumal and the cenotes are pretty cool) or Guatemala (with Tikal and Flores). You can't go wrong with either venture.</p>