Enough, but not too much, gear to bring? (Turkey & environs)

tripp_frasch

<p>I went to New York for a week with a Leica M and a 35mm, a 21mm VC and b/w film. Shot most every day. Used the 24 for about 4 shots, decided I didn't need it but its a tiny lens so not heavy and never regretted not taking anything else. I walked around all day with a small little bag, got some good photos and had a ball. Never felt I was deprived of a focal length. As far as I'm concerned if you have one lens, there are no other shots that exist but those for that lens. There are no "missed" shots. The thought of wanting to carry an F4 and an F5 with a big zoom and another zoom is well, not my place to say, but I'll just say that the focus is in the wrong place, no pun intended:)</p>

Here is my feedback.....

I have all my photos in lightroom and it makes it easy to figure out what lenses I use most. I shoot Canon, travel a lot and

do mostly landscape photos. You can see my work at Tudor ApMadoc

The vast majority of my work, around 75% was done with a 24-105 and its replacement - a 24-70

About 20% was done with a 16-35

About 5% was done with a 70-200

I always carry those 3 lenses, just my choice. If you are looking to carry less than 3 lenses, I would drop the 70-200

unless you plan on shooting sporting events.

• 1 month later...

<p>Well, I would suggest to go digital, but given the fact that you intend to carry a lot of film gear, that's a suggestion you will probably ignore.<br>

<br /> Having travelled trough a part of Turkey including Istanbul I would suggest to go for a one body set up! Istanbul can be very crowded, and you do not want to carry a ton of stuff amidst heavy crowd in high temperatures. I would suggest to leave all your camera's at home and invest in a F100 body. It has almost all the high end metering capabilities of the F5, but comes at a much more compact package. It will do the job, just as good as the rest and will save a lot of dead weight.<br>

For what it is worth, the only time I had a camera fail me, was when I dropped it on tarmac, so I always travel with one body. I used to carry a F100, now I have a D700, and will not bother on film again.<br /> Lucky you, Turkey is stunning, and the Turks, are some of the most welcoming people I have ever met.</p>