Image quality: Fuji Finepix X-E1 vs Olympus E-PM2 OM-D E-PL5

<p>Andy, could not agree more, why not bring your camera to the store, take photos with your camera, then ask if you can put your memory card in the demonstration fuji and take some more, then go home and compare. That way you don't screw the store. I speak as someone who had a camera store for ten years and got fed up with this sort of abuse. It's hard enough to make a living as it is since digital came along and margins plummeted, which is why I got out of the business.</p>

<p>Obviously there are a number of determining factors when one chooses a camera kit. Purchasing criteria will vary from the experience level of the user, the performance benchmarks necessary for the main subject matter and of course handling and general ergonomics. I have extensively tested the XE1 and OMD and "for me" there really was no contest, I got rid of the XE1. Since I shoot professionally, and since I was seeking a compact yet competent system to replace heavy DSLR kit on many outings, my purchasing criteria needed to lean fairly heavily towards the performance end of the spectrum and this is where the OMD really excels.</p>

<p>In terms of image quality my preference is for the OMD files, that is partly subjective of course and notwithstanding mainstream RAW support is lacking for X Trans (even with the latest LR 4.4 release, still not quite up to scratch depending on final output). I have little appreciation for the rendering of X Trans images, and I find that my OMD files are packed with detail and are very malleable. In addition I strongly favour the excellent lineup of Micro 4/3 lenses, which cover what I do admirably. Though there are exceptions I feel that the Fuji X cameras are best suited to hobbyists who do not have any particular pressures associated with their photography and who do not need high levels of speed or performance. With that in mind I use my X-100 extensively for personal projects, and I do love it. But the OMD is a game changer.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<blockquote>

<p>the Fuji X cameras are best suited to hobbyists who do not have any particular pressures associated with their photography and who do not need high levels of speed or performance. With that in mind I use my X-100 extensively for personal projects, and I do love it. But the OMD is a game changer.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>thanks, that's exactly the kind of real-world review i was looking for. so, what about lenses? is the 12-35 worth $1100? or is it better to stick to primes with the OMD?</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>I think the author need to get more in touch with photography in general!<br>

If you said the AF was a bit disappointing it would be one thing.<br>

Do understand most every review of this camera raves about it's image quality<br>

Think you need to review your overall understanding of image quality and get back to us. My early impressions of this cameras image quality is a wow.</p>