EF-S 17-85 IS as "starter" standard zoom?

mark_pierlot

<p>I have a friend who is buying his first DSLR, and he's been vacillating between several Canon and Nikon bodies. Among them is a 50D with a 17-85 for a decent price. I have experience with the 50D, and think that it would be a good choice for him. But I've never used the 17-85.</p>

<p>He'll be doing just general photography of family and the like. So is the 17-85 a good choice, at least for now?</p>

<p>At least for now, yes. It was the first EF-S lens I bought, and served well enough, especially since it only cost me $250. When I had to replace it (due to an element out of center), I soon after bought another, as, on the crop, it was a range that is hard to beat for daily duties. And the price was unbeatable. I never found it to be capable of excellent IQ, but until your friend has developed a skillset that can take advantage of high quality glass, he isn't likely to quantify the performance difference.</p>

<p>I would highly recommend using a lens hood with this lens. Using a UV filter to protect the lens significantly detracts from it's capability (much more so than w/ other lenses in my experience.</p>

<p>You can get involved in endless debate about the quality of the lens because some people don't like the wide angle distortion at one end or the sharpness at the other end, but I have a whole trip that was mostly (90 percent) shot with a 17-85mm with an XTi. These are some of my favorites here:<br>

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=948255</p>

<p>I have and still use my 17-85mm more than any other lens. It has its warts and the replacement, the 15-85, is apparently much better; but its flaws are easily fixed in post processing. It is the 'handiest' lens for a APS-C body.<br>

Newer lenses like the 18-135 may or may not be better, but the 17-85 is a "good deal" at the right price.</p>

<p>I use the 17-85 on my 50D as my everyday lens. If I carry only one lens, that's it. It isn't the sharpest at the extreme wide angle and vingnettes a bit wide open at wide angles, but it covers a useful range of focal lengths, is fast enough for outdoor work, has decent IS, and is reasonably priced.</p>

<p><Chas></p>

<p>I owned the 17-85 IS and it's a great optic if the deal is good. Yes, it is not the sharpest or fastest normal zoom but the combination of IS, petite size, fast AF, useful zoom range and decent performance makes it a good travel or walking around optic. If I had any beef, it would be the heavy magenta and purple fringing if suffers with strong back lighting. Of course fringing is easily removed in PP so no biggie.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<blockquote>

<p>I thought the 60D was too big for him. The 50D is even larger, are you sure he understands that?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Very perceptive of you, Rob. Yes, he's well aware of the size of the 50D. He's gone back and forth several times over the issue of size. It seems now that he doesn't want to get a Rebel due to its diminutive viewfinder.</p>

<p>He did find a Nikon D90 for sale for a very good price, but the accompanying lens is quite poor. I'm continuing to try to steer him towards Canon, if for no other reason than that I'll be able to offer him more support with his learning, and perhaps even lend him a couple of lenses.</p>

<p>I shoot with a 50D and owned a 17-85 until I replaced it with a 15-85. Yes, the 15-85 is better, but the 17-85 is a perfectly adequate lens, and it is a very nice range on an APS-C. I don't know what they cost now, but when I sold mine, they were a very good deal (i.e., I couldn't sell mine for much).</p>