Connect SCSI Scanners with RAID Controller?

<p>I use two 'legacy' scanners--a Polaroid SprintScan 4000 and a Minolta ScanElite F-2900. Both are SCSI only. The processor on my old computer took a dump, and I have replaced the machine with a new Win 7 box. The new machine has only PCI-E slots, so I can't use the Adaptec 2940 UW cards I have had for years. When I search eBay, etc. for "PCI-E SCSI", I mostly get RAID controllers. I know what RAID arrays are, but I need to know if a SCSI RAID adapter will also work with my scanners. (Some of the cards I see have external ports identical to the 2940.)</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>bo the cheap isa pnp scsi cards often supplied with scsi scanners are only supported up to win 98/me.<br>

VBeyings that there will likely be no isa slots<br>

but the adaptec 2930/2940 cards ARE supported.<br>

BUT thgey are full pci slots and not the smaller pci-ex?<br>

You may consider getting another cpu ( processor)<br>

if it is the entire motherboard that took a DUMP<br>

that is a different matter. Older cpu chips are not expensive.</p>

<p>But I have not heard of a converter.,<br>

try again to find one.</p>

<p><strong>Jos: </strong>I have been using my SCSI scanners on Vista x64 for some time now, and I expect the same for Win 7. XP worked fine as well. On Vista, I did have to force-load a driver for the Adaptec 28xxx series, but once I did, my 2940 UW worked like a charm (figuratively speaking).</p>

<p>My old Minolta Scan Multi II runs fine on Windows Vista x32, just as it did on a long-gone XP machine. My Windows 7 x64 machine doesn't have a PCI slot for the Adaptec 28xx card, so I don't know if it would work there or not. The Vista machine, known here as "Frankenputer" was resurrected from the junk heap to use with old, legacy devices.</p>

<p>One thing that won't work, at least with the Minolta scanner: SCSI to USB adapters.</p>

<p>One thing that comes to mind is a PCIe to PCI card http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Express-Adapter-Card-PEX1PCI1/dp/B0024CV3SA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top with a PCI "riser" http://www.amazon.com/PCI-Riser-adapter-Flex-Cable/dp/B0054C3BO6/ref=pd_sim_e_3 to shift it over to an unused slot to keep the height in check. I'm not saying these things work, I've never used one. When I bought my last computer I made sure the SCSI card would fit, I didn't realize that there were no 64 bit drivers for it though.</p>

<p>For SCSI cards I've always had better luck sourcing locally through a local computer shop that resells used gear. They seem to know what you're talking about and don't try to sell you a crappy flatbed scanner thinking it's gotta work better than your ancient gear you have now. "After all, it's new, that's old, it must be better, just peel the film off whatever you're trying to scan.... wait you want to scan the film.... why not just peel it off.... you mean cameras used to have film.... oh yeah, those things aren't made any more. Here's a digital camera too."</p>

<p><strong>Dan: </strong>According to the Dell site, some RAID controllers will NOT support scanners and other non-storage devices. Not sure why, but there it is. I just got an LSI Ultra 320 SCSI card on eBay. It will, according to several sources, work on Win 7 x64 using the Vsta x64 driver. Let's hope...</p>