Kodachrome II ASA 25

<p>I know that Dwane's processed the last roll of Kodachrome in either December 2010 or 2011. but while going through my Dad's old box of camera, film and other assorted photographic bits and pieces, I came across three rolls of exposed Kodachrome II film. Is there any method that can develop am image, I don't care if the image is blue, cyan or magenta.</p>

<p>You might (?) be able to get some chemicals and do it yourself. Your temp tolerances need to be rather close...from what I recall around +/- half a degree (or near that). Maybe Dwayne's could help at least in theory ? Your film is likely outdated and if not refrigerated....it could give you not so good images.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>Kodachrome differed from other transparency films in that it was basically a black and white film and the color dyes were added during processing with very specialized equipment and controls. You might just develop it with a standard black and white developer and get that kind of image. The other kinds of transparency films, older E-4, later and still current E-6 have the color dye couplers built-in and offered user processing. Completely different processes indeed.</p>

<p>Christopher, the subject of developing to B&W was addressed here in about 2010. See</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/film-and-processing-forum/00XvHp</p>

<p>The problem that has to be solved before developing (I think someone mentioned conditions for Kodak HC-110 developer if you want to do it yourself) is to remove the rem-jet backing that otherwise leaves a sludge during processing. A method for that is mentioned, but the sludge needs to be physically separated from the emulsion. If you go the Filmrescue route, I might ask them how they intend to do that and also how they intend to tame the apparent high contrast upon developing and also to inspect the first developed roll at least before making any B&W prints (if they do that), as possibly there may not be anything readable on the rolls. Good luck. There may be some important images to recover, or maybe not (effect of time and temperature of storage of your dad's films)?</p>

<p>The rolls were probably exposed in the mid '80s and the exposed rolls then placed in snap cap plastic 35mm containers. They've been in a cool, dry basement for the last 35-40 years. I'm not too concerned about color v. black and white, I just want to see if the images are what I think they are. I'll be contacting film rescue again, they were very helpful with the old print problem in my previous post.</p>