When is the best time to purchase a used DSLR?

<p>Hello All. I am considering a purchase of a used Olympus E-600 or E-620 or E-5 to use my legacy Zuiko glass. I have a wide range from 21mm to 600mm. Some of my favorites are the macro gear, bellows and extension tubes. Now I am quite happy to use my OMs, though I would like some digital output as it seems the best (currently) way to share photos. The question is... will the used equipment selection and pricing be more advantageous to a buyer before or after everyone gets new gifts? Thanks for your insight and experience.</p>

<p>If you're going to be buying used from a dealer like KEH, the price won't fluctuate much unless they're having a sale. I also expect that there aren't huge numbers of people getting body upgrades as gifts such that the used private market will change much.</p>

<p>I would think that the used market will respond more to pre-holiday sale pricing, because if the price of a new body comes down substantially, it makes used less appealing. Therefore, the used prices need to drop if they want to sell, or they have to wait until the sales are over.</p>

<p>I don't know specifically about your cameras, but I've often watched for used Canon gear, for timing both buying and selling. There are frequent likely inflection points, for instance when a new model is released and everyone starts disposing of the prior model. However, I've found these inflection points aren't very drastic, nor are their effects obvious. For instance, when a new model is announced, prices of the prior model will actually increase just a bit, as some having waited for the new model will be disappointed in the new release and decide to go with the prior model. Demand goes up, hence so does price. And then there is a decline in price thereafter. The rate of decline also depends on the uniqueness of the model. If there's some particularly desireable aspect to it, it will retain value pretty well.</p>

<p>I wouldn't expect any sudden changes in used gear value, even before vs. after X'mas. Before Xmas, people are buying stuff. After Xmas, they're using gift money to buy stuff. If anything, I'd guess demand for used stuff would be after Xmas, when people are spending their gift money. You MIGHT be better off buying before Xmas to beat the rush and have better selection. MAYBE. Dunno...</p>

<p>Most businesses want to clear inventory which hasn't sold at some point in the year. For car manufacturers it is December, I don't think it is as prominent or consistent with camera dealers. My recommendation is to buy when you have the need and money....if you find a great sale fine, but I wouldn't try to time my purchase. The exception is perhaps you have a price point in mind, and it takes several months of daily watching the big auction site to snag the bargain.</p>

<p>Hello Paul, the best time to buy used equipment is when you need it ;-) Sorry, but I don't know about the orices in your country.<br>

Like someone said before, I would consider buying a mirrorless camera with an EVF. From my experience I can say it's much easier to focus than with the optical finder. The screens in DSLRs are not very good for manual focusing.</p>

<p>Since you are at some stage going to be using the 600mm, which is 1200 with either 4/3 or M4/3, or long lenses somewhere shorter you will find a viewfinder essential. It can be a clip-on VF-2 or VF-3 or an integeral viewfinder. Though cheaper I believe the VF-1 doesn't get its image from the sensor like the others. I am mostly using an older 50mm on my E-PL1 with the VF-3 but I could use my 90-230 zoom. I find it much easier to focus using the VF-3 than off the LCD ... but that could be habits of old influencing me.</p>

<p align="center">A day came a man consult this philosopher for to know at o’clock it was owe to eat. If thou are rich, told him eat when you shall wish; if you are poor, when you may do so.</p>

<p align="right"><em>English as She Is Spoke</em> by Pedro Carolino, p. 104</p>

<p align="right">;)Or in camera terms, if you're rich--when you want to, otherwise when you can afford to. ;)</p>

<p>Personally I would suggest going with a Canon DSLR for those OM lenses. They adapt well (and you can get them with a focus confirmation chip) and the you can go with a 5D (classic or MK II) and they will retain their field of view. You could also go with a crop Canon like the Rebel or 10-50D series and the sensor is larger than the Olympus 4/3. With the APS-C crop sensor it will be a 1.6X crop factor vs. a 2X crop factor for a 4/3 camera. I have the OM 21mm, OM 35mm f2, 50mm f1.8 and others that I really like on my Canon 7D.</p>