Nikkor 70-200 f4 Zoom

Andy Murphy

<p>I am glad that RRS is designing a dedicated collar for the 70-200mm/f4 AF-S VR, assuming that it has the Arca Swiss type dove tail QR built in. Nikon wants $220 for the collar and you still need to add a QR plate, and the Nikon collar is good but not ideal, as its rotation is not smooth enough IMO.</p>

<p>Hi Shun,</p>

<p>Thank you very much for the comparison shots. The f/4 version holds up quite well against the f/2.8 version. It is remarkably well when you consider that at f/5.6 the f/4 lens is stopped down one stop while the f/2.8 lens is stopped down 2 stops.</p>

<p>I spoke with a Really Right Stuff representative earlier today (before I saw today's posts) and learned that the collar will utilize the existing LCF-10 foot used on the 70-200 VRI and VRII lenses, and the 300 f4 AFS collar.</p>

<p>http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=LCF-10&type=0</p>

<p>That's good news for the folks who already own one of these as it will provide roughly a $100 savings. I was also told that the collar will be sold separately, and as a kit with the LCF-10. That said, I'm going to get a second foot because I invariably find that my foot is on the 70-200 when I've brought the 300 f4, and on the 300 f4 when the 70-200 is needed. Murphy.<br /> <br /> It's not yet available for pre-order because they haven't settled on a price, so I'll be checking the link Dan provided ten to twenty times a day to beat all of you to the punch.</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback John.</p>

<p>I tried to get a handle on the out-of-focus character today by focusing closely at 200mm f4. I didn't notice anything disturbing, except for a possible tendency to swirl, a bit like the VRI. The attached shot is handheld with VR on, near minimal focus distance at 200mm f4.</p>

<div>00bCGC-511839584.thumb.jpg.d95572025db4cfdc9356e9718d69f275.jpg</div>

<p>I recently purchased one with the Nikon collar. As others have said, the lens is very sharp. Testing it's resolution and contrast at 200 mm on my D800 reveals the lens to have very high resolution with the D800 sensor resulting in alaising at 88-100 lp/mm on axis. Corner resolution was very good with far less astigmatic blur than my previous 80-200/2.8 AFS as I predicted from Nikon's MFT graphs. Compared to my trusty 200/4 AIS prime, micro-contrast and resolution was better on this new zoom. Performance is quite high wide open but stopping down to f/5.6 is optimal as it improves corner falloff and slightly improved IQ as well.</p>

<p>The Really Right Stuff 70-200mm/f4 AF-S VR replacement collar and foot are now available for pre-order: <a href="http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=LenNik70-200f4&key=cat">http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=LenNik70-200f4&key=cat</a></p>

<p>However, RRS is not showing their product image at this point. I can only <strong>assume</strong> that the replacement collar includes a foot that has the Arca-Swiss style quick release plate. If you are going to order from RRS, please verify the product details yourself.</p>

<p>The 70-200mm/f4 AF-S has Nikon's VR III, third-generation VR. I have used two separate samples of this lens, and its VR capability is amazing. I have hand held it at 200mm, 1/13 sec and 1/20 sec many times on the D7000, D700, and D800E. I can routinely get very sharp results at those low shutter speeds. Of course, once you are down to 1/20 sec and your subjects are people or animals, their motion will be an issue regardless of how good your VR is or how sturdy your tripod may be.<br>

<br />I captured this image in front of some post office boxes to check out the amount of distortion. At 200mm, pincushion distortion is very noticeable. However, its VR is amazing at 1/20 sec as I said.</p>

<p>Maybe people don't need to use tripods much with this lens and the tripod collar is not as necessary.</p><div>00bFOV-514403584.jpg.0c6316000a7dcd8f7fed5f77ec3129d0.jpg</div>