T-Max compensating developer

ernie_gec

I regularly use T-max film & process normally with T-max developer at

75 degrees - 6.5 minutes 1-4 dilution. For reduced contrast I've

normally reduced development times, but am wondering if this developer

can be used as a "compensating" solution with this film. ie. higher

dilutions/longer times,reduced agitation intervals.

I'd appreciate any feedback on whether this is possible, and if so,

what the temperature/time/dilution/agitation factors are for -1 and -2

development.

Thanks in advance.

See Ed Buffaloe's site, www.unblinkingeye.com. There is an article there on using divided D-23 developer as a compensating developer. Bruce Barnbaum has also used diluted HC-110 as a compensating developer. Another good source for developing times is the massive development chart on the digitaltruth photo source site.

I believe John Sexton used Tmax developer in a compensating mode. He even had a device he called a 'slosher' to help with the infrequent agitation of his sheet film in it. If you can get a look at his book 'Places of Power' (I think thats the name) you'll see pics of the space shuttle in it's hangar. or pics of hallways inside the Hoover dam where the lightbulbs illuminating the space are very well defined. This is all from now-foggy info gathered during a workshop in '94 so forgive me if I've got anything wrong.

Try an internet search on 'sexton slosher'.

Larry

Sexton uses TMAX-RS which is different than TMAX developer. Sexton and Kodak say "Do not use KODAK T-MAX Developer to process sheet films" [TMAX films]. Of course, there is now a new version of TMAX 100 that is just hitting the distribution channels.

I do not have any information about using TMax developer as a compensating developer. However, I frequently use TMax RS developer as a compensating developer for TMX and TMY. This is done by taking the small packet of "B" concentrate and pouring it into the bottle of "A" concentrate and mixing thoroughly. Then this mixture is diluted, as needed, 1:15 for use as a one-shot compensating developer. Develop at 75 deg., agitating gently for one minute and then for 10 seconds every two minutes. Depending on the contrast desired, development times generally range from eight to eleven minutes.