E6 recommendations for great reds and skin tones

Hi all-

Just getting into film, sticking with 35mm for now. One of the things that has made me want to shoot film is the red colors. After seeing my

uncles cibachrome (yes I know it's dead) prints made with Velvia and Steve McCurry's "Women in a dust storm" I was hooked. I can't get

that color out of my digital images. While I know Kodachrome is gone, I was wondering if there was anything out there that would give

you vibrant reds and colors but not kill skin tones like Velvia. I prefer E6, but if there is a negative type out there that has good contrast

and great red/color saturation I am open to trying it. I shot some Velvia 100 (not "f") in Pakistan and the skin tones were...uh....saturated

lol. Looking for a good alternative. Also I did some searching around, didn't find much, but sorry if this has been hashed over a lot. Feel

free to just link the post(s)!

I've realized I was born in the wrong era. Vacuum tube amps, vinyl, and film. Love it. Thanks for your help!

Scott

<p>Unfortunately there aren't many reversal film options left.</p>

<p>Try Fujifilm Provia. It has good saturation without being over the top for skintones like Velvia.</p>

<p>Kodak has discontinued all of their reversal films, but you could try Kodak Ektar. It's a colour negative film with vivid colours, but I'd recommend trying Provia as a first option.</p>

<p>I'd shoot whatever transparency film you can still find. Around here, there are very few choices left.</p>

<p>If you are scanning, definitely do try Ektar 100 c/n. It wants to emphasize blues, but is fairly easy to tweak in Photoshop.</p>

<p>In the read it and weep category, here is B&H's film listing in <em>Modern Photography</em> December, 1987 in a pdf form. Even then, 8x10 film prices were steep.</p>

<p>There's a conflict in your requirements. The films that really bring out the reds tend to be too much for skin times. The slide film that beings our reds best today is probably Velvia 100. It may not be entirely realistic, but it sure gives you a blast of red at sunset. Sadly it might also do that on your nose. Provia is a little punchy but not unduly so and I'd concur with those who think it is possible the best compromise if you want strong reds and decent skin tones from the same film.</p>

David- yeah I've realized I am in a very tough spot these days with choices. I've heard Provia is a little cool. I may try

getting a warming filter if I don't like it at first. Any experience doing that? I plan to shoot either on cloudy days or sunset

when the light is good.

Velvia 100f is discontinued? I still see it everywhere, unless those are just the last rolls.

<p>Yes, Velvia 100F has been discontinued. Once retailers have sold remaining stock, they won't be getting any more.<br>

<a href="http://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/news/article/news/fujifilm-announces-film-discontinuations/">

http://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/news/article/news/fujifilm-announces-film-discontinuations/</a></p>

<p>(Note Velvia 100 is a different film to Velvia 100F.)</p>

<p>It is unusual that the announcement has only been made by Fujifilm UK. Gabriel Da Costa, product manager for professional film in the UK, was asked about that...</p>

<p><em>Which countries does the discontinuations affect?<br>

According to our notification it is global</em></p>

<p><em>If this is a worldwide discontinuation, why has no other country made this announcement?<br>

Each subsidiary has its own agenda and may want to delay notification for their own reasons.</em></p>

<p><a href="http://choosefilm.com/news/recent-film-discontinuations-faq/">

http://choosefilm.com/news/recent-film-discontinuations-faq/</a></p>

<p>Warming filters got used on E100G as well. It will be brutally honest about showing shaded scenes lit only by blue sky as, well, BLUE. So is Ektar 100. Only Kodachrome was so warped warm in color response that people didn't often use warming filters with it.<br>

Portra 160 has a little more saturation than the old Portra 160NC. You do have to bring up the contrast in post-processing with Portra 160, it's quite flat. That's not an issue with Portra 400.</p>

<p>I just looked and there is plenty of in date Elite Chrome 100 on ebay for about $10 per roll. It is the consumer version of E100G.<br>

It stores well in the freezer. I have several dozen rolls myself and have bought 10 year out of date slide film that was just perfect. The only problem is how to know who you buy the film from really stored it in the freezer.</p>

<p>So true.<br>

Still you must stock up now with the in date stuff or miss out. I go through about two dozen rolls a year. So in 3 years when my supply is out I too will be moving to Fuji if they still make any E6 films. I would have bought a 10 year supply but I am worried that if I do there may be no way to get it developed in before I use it all. </p>

<p>E100G was discontinued some months ago ... I got some just in case plus 120 format when I don't have a medium format yet. You might be able to get them on eBay provided it has not expired yet which would be one of the later batches. Put in freezer when you receive. But this is just a temporary measure. Kodak is gone. </p>

<p>For skintones or more accurate of landscapes, I prefer Kodak film. Fuji Provia is still available now but I found that the blues show up more not that there is a cast or anything. Try with the color filter or in post. Steve McCurry used Kodachrome film then E100G film as well as E100VS for the saturation kick afaik .... He now uses a digital full frame Nikon SLr and a digital Hasselblad.</p>