Nikon introduces the new D5200 DSLR today

CvhKaar

<p>Thx Mike,<br>

I think its about time to get rid of that mechanical mirror "contraption" considering current available technology, plus it has taken too long now for Nikon to replace that D300/s , so i realy feel that someting might get changed soon.. :- )<br>

Also Nikon needs to start a new revolution, like they have been doing several times in the past... :-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Nikon Mirrorless will be the replacement of the D300 / D300S</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I am waiting for the D300/D300S replacement - but if that will turn out to be a mirrorless, I am not interested. Not at all. My "crystal ball" says that Nikon DX mirrorless will be at the lower end of the DX line, not the upper one. I have not seen an EVF that I like and that I would trade the classic pentaprism/mirror "contraption" for.<br /> <br />However small they make that display lag - it's going to be there and hard to deal with. And then there is the smearing of anything that moves reasonably fast.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>plus it has taken too long now for Nikon to replace that D300/s</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's no reason not to replace it. Mirrorless is a current fad that camera makers exploit to push more cameras - they might have some advantages with regard to video (which is still quite rudimentary on DSLRs) - but there is no substitute for a good optical viewfinder.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>preliminary for the Pro market full frame mirrorless</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The FX market is small enough as it is - and now Nikon is supposed to squeeze another camera and lens-system in there? My guess is that we are still a few years away from seeing a Nikon full frame mirrorless.</p>

<p>Why is it that all those who got what they wanted from Nikon - be it the "less pricey" FX body or the "more features" consumer DX camera - don't want to allow those that want to stick with high-end DX to get their camera too? IMO, Nikon needs to exploit every niche there is - and they hooked me into the upper end of DX and so far have given me no way up or out. And I know that I am not alone.</p>

<p>Ross, I'm in the same boat! One curiosity with this D5200: since it has the D7000's meter, does that mean that it will meter with non-Ai lenses? One curiosity in Nikon's lineup until now is that the lower-end cameras are the only ones that can mount non-Ai lenses, but they can't meter with them. What a waste! Of course, there are always solutions to this:<br>

-Break off my D200's aperture ring, but then my 300mm f/4 would have to be upgraded to the AF-S version<br>

-Do an Ai conversion, but that requires converting my 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, and 135mm lenses, bleh.<br>

Actually, a Nikon with a Sony-style EVF would be great, because viewfinders aren't meant to be accurate with sub f/2.8 lenses, and focus peaking would be useful! I'd also love to grab a few lenses like the Voigtlander 58mm, and focus peaking would help.</p>

I'm fascinated by the fact you all are arguing about "why Nikon makes a d5200" by arguing about how it

fits with other Nikons. Anyone in the argument ever hear of cameras called a t3i and t4i made by a little

company named Canon ? Neither the D5100 nor the D3200 Nikon present true market-place

competition to them. The D5200 will. Thus, it gets built. But will it compete at over a grand in Cdn$ ? No

chance. That price point will have to lower very quickly to compete.

(and to answer in advance, "yes", I have worked directly in the field, outdoors, with both Canon's T3i and

Nikon's D3200....with Nikon 70-300 VR it's sensor produces superb IQ, but the D3200 body is really

"tiny" and really "flimsy"). The D5200 will have the fully articulated screen finally, which has been

lacking, and it will be superior to the Canon T4i one because they haven't gone with the silly "touch

screen" to make it into an iphone).

It also goes to 5 fps, which does "get there" for wildlife use, as does also T4i, which was a vast

improvement from the prior three point seven in Canon. I for one, am really looking forward to the D5200

getting here.

<p>I don't think it is much more competent. In my opinion, it is a step up akin to the step up from the D5000 to the D5100. More resolution. Slightly different in look. Slightly better video. Slightly better auto-focus.</p>

<p>The D7100 will operate the old D series lenses. The D5200, like its predecessors does not. They had to improve on the D5100, right? It had to be better than the D3200, right? What would you expect? It doesn't have weather seals, it has a pathetic little 8 frame buffer for shooting raw. It has a little pentamirror viewfinder. It's a sad little thing, but better than the D5100 for sure, which is why people will upgrade. The D7100 will have a pentaprism viewfinder, weather seals, and bigger buffer. It will also shoot faster, with a larger (probably 11 frames) buffer for shooting raw, capture to 14 bit raw files, and possibly be the first Nikon to have a built-in GPS. It will probably also have a magnesium body. The D7000 has 2 card slots, so the D7100 will no doubt have the same. No, this D5200 is not taking market share from the D7100 any more than the D5100 took market share from the D7000. And as for the D400 . . . if Nikon finally decides to make one, I believe it will shoot at 10 fps. It needs to do that, or Sony will just eat it alive with their year-old A77. (The only advantage the Nikon D400 will have over the Sony A77, other than the Nikon lens system, will be its bigger raw buffer - probably 20 frames vs. the A77 at 14 frames - and the two CF card slots, like the D300s has. The Sony A77 has two SD card slots, like the Nikon D7000.) The D7100 will probably shoot at 7 fps, and the D400 at 10 fps. The D400 will have a slightly bigger review screen (probably the same 3.2" screen as the D600) some new-fangled better this or that, two card slots like its predecessor, and as the "more professional" level camera, when compared to the D7100, it will most-likely be priced at $1,995, while the D7100 will be priced at $1,495, and the D5200 will be priced at $1,195 (all falling quickly by about $200, to sit at $999, $1,299 and $1,799 respectively). I'm guessing the D400 might even have a 12 megapixel crop mode for super high-speed shooting, which allows 12 fps shooting for sports and such. It will also have the biggest buffer in the 24 megapixel APS-C range of cameras, for shooting lots of raw shots in bursts (40 frames or more in crop mode).</p>

<p>I guess we shall see, but this new D5200 is what I have been waiting for. Now I just need to save up to get one. I think it will be a decision between the Nikon and the Sony A65, since I believe that they will both be around the same money, by the time I have the funds saved. The A65 has a built-in GPS, shoots at 10 fps in high-speed mode, shoots 1080p60 video instead of 1080i60, and I already have some lenses for it. But I want the Nikon, because I believe the D800 will ultimately be the final camera that I will buy for my birthday in October next year. Plus, I want the Tokina 10-17mm zooming fisheye, and the Nikon D5x00 bodies are the best for shooting with that lens. I might just forgo the decision and get the D5100 right away, so I can get that lens sooner. The D5100 is so cheap now!</p>

<p>if nikon put an af motor in it and CLS and then came up with a battery grip i would go for it. no motor, NO cls, no deal!<br>

think i will wait for the d7000/d300 replacement, or even skip a generation.<br>

the d5200 still seems nice a nice piece of kit though. it would make sense to see if there is a marked difference between it and the d3200 in image quality and low light/high iso performance.</p>

<p>Why does this camera need a motor? ALL of Nikon's best lenses are AF-S! I love when I see people bragging about their in-body motor with a bag full of 24-70mm, 70-200mm, 14-24mm, 85mm f/1.4G, etc. The pool of worthwhile non-SWM lenses is quickly decreasing.</p>

<p>As for CLS, spend the money that you save on this camera body versus a D90, D7000, or D300 and instead spend part of those savings on a used SB800, an SB700, or an SU800, and voila, problem solved, with much greater capability than having the CLS built into the camera! Once I started using the SB800 to control my group of wireless flashes, I told myself that I'd never go back to using the built-in flash that drains my camera battery, has a slower recycle, has to fire, etc.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Why does this camera need a motor?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well for me it does not matter much. I have a collection of "D" lenses myself so I would want a body with a motor but it does not need to be this one. If I ever need a new camera body I would probably buy something along the line of the D300 I guess. Probably a used one from KEH. </p>

<p>Ariel, people want a 24 Mp DX format camera (APS-C sensor) with the ability to use their old D series lenses. They don't want to have to pay for a new camera AND new lenses. Also, some people have been wanting a camera with a fold-out screen, which will allow them to use their D series lenses. Some people have a 24-105mm f3.5-4.5 D, a 50mm f1.4 D, an 85mm f1.4 D, a 135mm f2 DC, and a VR 80-400mm f4.5-5.6 D. Would YOU want to have to sell all those (or at least most of them), so you could buy new lenses, just because Nikon refused to make a camera with a built-in auto-focus drive that has a fold-out screen? Some of these people have been waiting for such a camera, just holding onto their D80 or D90, and not upgrading, since Nikon introduced the D5000. If they were shooting with Canon stuff, and started years ago with a Canon 20 D, then upgraded to the 40 D, they could still be shooting with all the same lenses they bought for their 20 D, and they could mount those lenses on their new T3i and get the use of the fold-out screen, high resolution, and auto-focus. It upsets some people that Nikon doesn't offer a more-professional level camera with a fold-out screen. I believe that Nikon does not want to upset their D3x customers, so they are waiting, to let a little more time pass, before they introduce a professional level 24 megapixel camera. Or maybe it's just about speed. They may be having trouble producing a camera fast enough and cheap enough to handle 24 Mp images like the D300s can handle 12 Mp. That doesn't make much sense to me though, since processor speed seems to double ever 18 months, and it's been a lot more than that since the D300 was first shipped. I was really surprised they introduced the D800 and D600 already. I figured they would make something like a D4x with twice the resolution (32 megapixels), and then a D800 with 16 megapixels, but they blew us all away with a super-high resolution camera instead. Maybe the D3x had abysmal sales.<br>

<br />Well, I am waiting to see some raw samples of sunsets/sunrises from the D5200, so I can analyze them myself. I hope we see some soon.</p>

<p>Yes but older AF lenses compatibility with the (2) low end cameras? I recall 1 or 2 of Nikon's film cameras were like that too. They don't even have dual command dials. Those who are into the photography know how and have previous lenses would have been paying for a D7000 camera, that's around $999 isn't it (?) or the past the D70 or took up photography with a film SLR. <br /><br />If they provide a D5200 or even a D3200, has the 24MP, has manual mode, has WB, has TTL flash, has a accurate light meter, can utilise all the AF lenses. More people would opt for the cheaper camera. Bad news for Nikon. You could even ask if they could add in manual focus lens (metering) support.</p>

• 5 weeks later...

<p>I think what people really want is a camera like the D300s with a 24 MP sensor (twice that of the D300 and D300s and 50% more than the D7000). Yes, I know there are people who would like an upgrade of the D7000, so they can shoot faster, and they like the image quality from the D7000, so they don't want 24 megapixels. Still, I don't see how someone can look at a lot of images from the Sony A77 and think it's too noisy. It produces about the same noise as the Nikon D7000, but captures a sharper image! Even the photos from Nikon's own D3200 (which is 24 MP) are acknowledged as having better image quality than the D3100 (which was 16 MP). I believe that if Nikon created a D400 with two CF card slots (like the D300s) and a 24 MP sensor, and it was capable of shooting at 10 fps (to compete with the Sony A77), and captured 14 bit raw files (of course it would), just like this new D5200, then they would have a winner (as long as it is weather sealed, etc.</p>

<p>The crazy thing is . . . Sony is they only company making an affordable camera with weather seals, which shoots fast at 24 megapixels. That's PATHETIC! How can the leaders in the industry let Sony get so far out in front? The image quality is acknowledged as stellar. The speed is astounding, and both the Sony A77 and A99 have the ability to shoot at 10 fps, while capturing 24 megapixel images. The only competitors that Nikon and Canon have are more than twice the price and shoot at a maximum of 18 megapixels!</p>

<p>It's actually quite sad that Canon and Nikon are in such a state of dragging their feet. At least Nikon seems to be making an effort to catch up. They have created the D800, which is the resolution leader, and they have two models that shoot at 24 megapixels. Canon has NOTHING with super high resolution . . . though their legendary 7D was ahead of its time and has stayed at the top of the mountain for quite some time.</p>

<p>I'm glad this new Nikon shoots at higher resolution, a little faster, and has better auto-focus. I just wish it had weather seals and could operate the auto-focus on older lenses. Even without those features, I'll probably end up getting one of these new D5200 bodies though. I just LOVE the choice of lenses for Nikon cameras.</p>