How to extend and set up a tripod effectively?

prabhu_v

<p>I just got a Fesiol tournament tripod (3442). It's slightly taller than my eye level, so I may need to lower it just a little. <br>

What method do you use to lower the tripod? I have a four section tripod, so which section would you lower/not extend fully? Do you start by extending all the legs out first and then adjust one of them? Is it a good idea to mark your tripod, so you know exactly to what height the leg needs to be pulled out to?<br>

Also, how spread out to the legs need to be? If I spread it out wide enough, then the tripod will be at the correct height for me.<br>

These are probably silly questions, but it would be helpful to know some best practices as to how to set up a tripod efficiently. <br>

Also, do you normally keep the ballhead attached to the tripod always? And when moving from one place to another, do you walk with the tripod attached to the camera, or do you detach the camera first?<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>which section would you lower/not extend fully</p>

</blockquote>

<p>When setting up, I wouldn't extend the lowest section fully. But for convenience make small adjustments with the top section.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>spread out to the legs need to be</p>

</blockquote>

<p>for eye-level shooting, I go to the first click. If I need to go lower, then I spread the legs farther out.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>do you normally keep the ballhead attached to the tripod always</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, always. Except when I am traveling - then I need to take the head off so the legs fit into the suitcase.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>do you walk with the tripod attached to the camera, or do you detach the camera first</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Depends on how far I have to walk and what lens I am using. Usually, with the 300mm and TC mounted on a gimbal head, I am not taking the combo off for the entire length of the walk and shoot. </p>

<blockquote>

</blockquote>

<p> </p>

<p>Theoretically, the smallest diameter portions of the leg are the least stable, so I try not to extend these fully. You should extend the lowest section at least a little bit to keep the lowest joint out of muck on the ground. As above, I make small adjustments with the top sections. I put the apex of the triangle formed by the legs toward the subject, leaving the base toward me. This allows a little wiggle room for me behind the tripod without bumping the leg. Arranged this way, you can also make small height/distance adjustments by moving the front leg forward or backward. Ball head stays on. I walk with the camera attached (can't do this with a cheap ball head, tho). Practice makes perfect.</p>

<p>Some of this may depend on the tripod, how hard it is to modify, to adjust, and how far you have to change it. But here's the simple way I shortened the legs on my big old Manfrotto. Here, I have taken the bottom portion off the leg of an old 3011 just to demonstrate. The idea works fine for any tripod that comes apart easily, and whose legs are held at the end by a flange or widening. I show it here with white tape for contrast but used electrical tape on the real one. You can put as many rings of tape on the leg as you need to get the length you need. Mine has been on for a year or more, and seems OK, but of course it's also easy to redo.</p><div>00b85y-508319784.jpg.c1643c6ba0951f66908073e9a2d78a39.jpg</div>

<p>Sorry I just missed the editing deadline here. In case the picture is ambiguous, what is shown here is the casting that holds the bottom section to the middle one, removed from the middle leg, with the lower leg section still in it. The section to the right goes up into the middle leg, and when dropped down, the tape hits the casting instead of the raised end of the leg, thus shortening it by the width of the tape. </p>

<p>With a 4 section tripod (nominally 55" tall), I only extend the bottom two extensions. I prefer to stoop just a little than to fiddle with adjustments. I start with the lowest extension out of habit - to keep that joint free of sand and mud.</p>

<p>Another technique, as with a 3-section tripod of similar length, I extend the bottom fully and the next section of one leg partially. I then adjust the other two legs to the same length as the first. If I'm an inch off, it doesn't matter as long as the tripod is level.</p>

<p>When setting up on steps, I do something similar. Extend two legs on one step, and the third leg on the lower step, still folded. When the tripod is open, you are fairly close, and can tweak the level as needed.</p>

<p>I have an Arca B1 head with an Arca clamp. Only with that arrangement do I feel comfortable carrying the camera attached to the tripod. I loop the neck strap (if any) around my hand, just in case.</p>

<p>With a 4 section tripod (nominally 55" tall), I only extend the bottom two extensions. I prefer to stoop just a little than to fiddle with adjustments. I start with the lowest extension out of habit - to keep that joint free of sand and mud.</p>

<p>Another technique, as with a 3-section tripod of similar length, I extend the bottom fully and the next section of one leg partially. I then adjust the other two legs to the same length as the first. If I'm an inch off, it doesn't matter as long as the tripod is level.</p>

<p>When setting up on steps, I do something similar. Extend two legs on one step, and the third leg on the lower step, still folded. When the tripod is open, you are fairly close, and can tweak the level as needed.</p>

<p>I have an Arca B1 head with an Arca clamp. Only with that arrangement do I feel comfortable carrying the camera attached to the tripod. I loop the neck strap (if any) around my hand, just in case.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Thanks for all the responses. I'm still a little unclear on how to effectively extend the legs so that they are all extended to the same height (when I'm not extending fully). So, let's say I extend the bottom two sections out fully. How do I then extend the top section partially so that the top section on all the three legs are at the same level? Do you mark your tripod so that you can do this quickly each time? I'm wondering if it makes sense to get a shorter tripod so I can extend all the legs out fully...</p>

<p>I think you're in danger of becoming confused on tripods and going back and forwards. You will learn quickly and by eye how much to extend the bottom leg section. Getting all the legs the same length is almost intuitive and clearly visible. Its not like you need a micrometer to do it. Marking the legs to indicate the furthest extension you can cope with standing as tall as you comfortably can does work, its just not really necessary for most people. Its a trivial issue. Step away from the computer, set the tripod up to the max height you can use , and look at the extension on the bottom section. Now collapse it and try to replicate that by eye. Do it 20 times and you should be getting it pretty close and pretty fast. </p>