Who doesn't love a sale?

adam_weaver

I saw this thread early this morning. I also noted B&H has the D600 and 24-85 combo on sale (for a couple of dollars less...till today).

B&H's sale price also includes a 32G Sandisk card, an extra battery (not the Nikon branded unit), an off-brand camera case, an off-brand

monopod and free shipping. I went to the local Best Buy today to ask about their "price matching" policy, including the various extras

offered by B&H; they said they'd match any lower prices, so I bought it.. For the same reduced price Best Buy also included a 32g Sandisk card and the extra Nikon battery, they also let me choose the camera bag (Lowe Pro) I wanted and a monopod. I'd been hoping for some

kind of price reduction since the D600 came out, glad I saw this post today.

<p>Have to say I'm a bit PO'ed by the fact I paid 2100 for body only to find the the 24-85 is now free + 100 back in my pocket. Never will I jump on the wagon early again. Love the camera but Nikon you slapped me in the face with that move. How about sending me that lens on good faith?</p>

<p>This "free lens" D600 discount deal begs the question who is going to buy the D600 body only at the same $1996 price next year once this particular sale ends? Or can we expect there to be a permanent discount for the D600 body then - let's say to $1699 or $1799? Or will it even revert back to the original $2099 price tag? Certainly no one is going to buy a $1996 body during this sale period and reject a free lens - so what is going to happen to all those D600 bodies that must be piling up in the stores now? Another fire sale? The current sale will certainly drive Nikon's sales number up for this quarter - but won't there be a huge slump in sales for the next one unless there is another incentive to purchase? A $700 discount on the kit cannot leave much of a profit for Nikon - so what prompted this fire sale? Overproduction of the 24-85 and/or the D600? The urgent desire to beat Canon's sales numbers to the point that one sacrifices profit margin? Hooking enough people into the Nikon FX line and hoping for future lens sales to make up the loss in profit now?</p>

<p>a couple of points:<br>

the D600 really hasn't sold strong in North America and there is probably inventory that Nikon would like to get rid of before year end;<br>

4-5 years ago, Canon was beating Nikon in DSLR sales numbers badly, very badly. Recent numbers show that Nikon is so close to being #1 and according to camera store folks that I have talked to, Nikon is almost willing to do anything to get those numbers. Now, the D800 has both the AF point issue history to deal with as well as the fact that Canon has no competitor to it. No point in deep discounts. But the D600, with the 6D competitor, and at the entry level price point can give them those sales numbers.( think: every D800 sale is 1.5 D600 sales) especially by the year end. Think of the advertising if next year Nikon could call itself #1 in DSLR sales.</p>