When is it worth repairing a G9

<p>I have two Canon G9's which are both unhappy children at the moment. One has a problem with focus at the edges (the center is ok) so I suspect a mis-alignment with some optical elements. The other has a 'Lens Error - reboot' - essentially it goes to maximum extension of lens and then whirs array (ultrasonic whine?) before stopping. There is seems to be no way to retract the lens; and the external lens protector remains open.<br>

<br />I will obviously contact a local certified repair center (near Zurich, Switzerland) but is it really worth getting something like these faults repaired? Or should I bite the bullet and upgrade to a G14 or somesuch? (note the G series is used by the wife and I on short walks etc; I have a 7D plus a couple of L optics for when I want to go out with more robust photos).</p>

<p>Hi Marc, I know you're in Europe but there's a repair shop in Texas that comes highly recommended for Canon camera repairs. For reference, they charge $99 flat rate for "Lens Error" repairs.<br>

<a href="http://www.camerasandparts.com/coleerrese.html">http://www.camerasandparts.com/coleerrese.html</a><br>

<br>

It wouldn't hurt to send them an inquiry email; maybe it'll turn out to be within budget and at least you'll get more information. <br>

<br>

In the alternative, since you have two identical cameras with little to lose, might give these steps a try:<br>

<a href="

<p>The G15 is a wonderful camera. There are a myriad of mirrorless choices as well but I didn't want to invest in yet another system, so the G15 suits me perfectly. There is also the Nikon P7700, another fantastic camera that I seriously considered, but the G15 will fit into your EOS system nicely as all Canon Speedlites are compatible with it.</p>