Location Tips--Southern Arizona

joe_willmore

<p>I'm going to be taking a trip to Southern Arizona....really south (as in: south of Tucson). I've shot in Arizona before (mostly Red Rocks territory, Petrified Forest, Canyon De Chelly, Grand Canyon, etc.). I've got the equipment I need. <br>

I'm looking for tips on places/sites/areas to shoot. What particular parks or buildings from Tucson on south to the border of Mexico would you recommend I go out of the way to shoot? What places should I check out?</p>

<p>Easy to do. Here are some all over the map suggestions. </p>

<p>The first day trip that comes to mind would be to the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum. It is a zoo but doesn't look like one and couldn't be more photographer friendly. The raptor free flight will give you some stunning shots. Go on the weekend for them. </p>

<p>San Javier Del Bac mission is also a masterpiece. 300 years old the "white dove of the desert" can't be missed. You will also want to get Tumacacori a few miles south. </p>

<p>If you are to be here Feb 16-24 the Tucson Rodeo is great shooting. Spring for a box seat and you can shoot straight into the shoots. Canon is having a rodeo photography workshop on the 16th.</p>

<p>Old Tucson Movie Site for the Kitch if you like that. For "real" old west you can hit Tombstone but the photography is much better in Bisbee a few miles away. It is an old mining town but everywhere you turn there is a wonderful shot. </p>

<p>Tell us what you like to shoot and we can definately fill your dance card. </p>

<p>David D., yes I did search the forum. Were you referring to this thread?: http://www.photo.net/travel-photography-forum/00aycx It's a nice thread but all the specifics are to much further north of where I'll be or NM (where I'm not going). I recall one reference to "there are some nice areas around Tucson"--Tucson is basically my northern border and then south. Another short thread about formations on the border with S. Utah and another about filters for Red Rocks territory. But I didn't see any specifics about south of Tucson. So any tips/suggestions for locations/locales are welcome.<br>

Rick M.--I appreciate the specifics very much--exactly what I'm looking for. What would I like to shoot? I'll miss the rodeo (I'll be coming in March) but yes, rodeo would be good or working cowpunchers. Animal (wild or otherwise) shots are good. Vistas, sunrise/sunset shots, macro opportunities, dried creek beds, time exposures of moving water, interesting geographic formations, both classic and older architecture--all on my interest list. Abstracts (like shadow-light patterns, sand-wind patterns) are big with me. Foliage and plants--yes. Decay or deserted/abandoned buildings and vehicles. Kitsch and hollywood west--not so much.<br>

I'll need to check my geography--for some reason I thought Bisbee was further north (closer to Phoenix).</p>

<p>Joe - I don't know how much time you have. We spent four days around Tucson last year. Its not stunning landscapes, but if you like desert scenery its an enjoyable place. We hit:<br>

- San Javier Del Bac mission - we went twice, including a Sunday mass. This is a functioning, well-attended church and it has some remarkable architecture. On some Sundays there are food booths setup, with great tastes.<br>

- Tumacacori Mission - abandoned, but somewhat preserved. The tour was worth it - lots of historical tidbits.<br>

- the artist town of Tubac. Very eclectic, and I'll leave it to you to decide how all that money is available that close to the border. I have my own theories. We got some great shots of the artwork scattered around the streets.<br>

- Catalina State Park, in Tucson. Great hikes if you'd like to get out in the desert. Depending on when you're going the wildflowers can be spectacular.<br>

- There's a very good weekend market in Tucson - can't remember the name.<br>

- Pima Air & Space museum - thousands of airplanes organized in the largest aviation graveyard in the world. Fascinating if you're into aircraft.<br>

We also spent a day taking E Sahuarita Rd/Highway 83/Highway 82 across to Sierra Vista. The countryside changes dramatically from desert to huge ranches. Stop at the Elgin Creek Highway in Elgin - no kidding, as good as anywhere in the US. We did a hike in Sierra Vista in Ramsey Canyon but ran out of time to explore that area.</p>

<p>Next time we go we'll want to see Tombstone and Bisbee - that's because I read The Last Gunfight by Jeff Guinn recently, and I'm now interested in placing that history into a physical context.</p>

<p>Hope this helps. We loved the Tucson area, will go back soon.</p>

<p>Kofa Mountains, Organ Pipe Cactus NM, Saguaro N.P. West, Chiricahua N.M., Fort Bowie. All these are great landscape winter photo locations. Wild camping in the border area could be iffy. Organ Pipe has an open campground but some roads are closed to cars. I have been shot at by law-abiding gun owners on state lands east of Phoenix when I was taking pictures of saguaros, so watch out for the locals. Bring your passport if you speak with an accent.</p>

<p>Organ Pipe is wonderful....and I could easily spend a day or two in the wilderness. Check out Ajo....and the main thing, especially when the sun is out, have the pola filter on. I think I'd sleep in motel/hotel somewhere...though 20yrs ago I camped. If you are adventurous enough, check out the border town or even go to the other side if you wish. If you spot some sort of operation in the wild....just back out of it....as if you saw a bear :>).</p>

<p>When the sunset arrived....I pointed my veh headlights on the cactus ahead....it made a nice balance. It's all about small things....so don't get too much in a hurry.</p>

<p>Have a good time.</p>

<p>Les</p><div>00bGWy-515279584.jpg.f90232b051aaaf11d0d43a4c88b7682b.jpg</div>

<p>Joe, two summers ago I did a mostly wildlife trip across S. Arizona Portal-Chiricahua Ntl Mon-Douglas-Tombstone-Fort Huachuca (Military Base)-Coronado Nt. Monument-Madera Canyon-Organ Pipe Ntl Park and then into Mexico, Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point). My focus was mainly wildlife, but I did also some lovely landscape photography as well. I know it is a bit of a drive, but for landscapes it was hard to beat Organ Pipe. The only downside to being that close to the boarder is all the security you get constantly subjected to, often in the middle of the night, but it is worth it. Also the Chirichaua Monument is something not to missbut it would be quite a drive to see.<br>

Much of the area I visited went up in smoke within a few days of visiting it, so I cannot say what the area looks like since. You might want to make that sort of consideration before going to see somewhere where the vegetation all burned down in 2011.<br>

If you are SPECIFICALLY interested in wildlife (which it sounds like you are not) please contact me and I'll give you more specifics.</p>

<p>While not a photo destination, I would try to visit Kartchner Caverns State Park in Benson. This little known state park has caverns that rival Carlsbad in beauty. Because it was discovered and developed in the 1990's it uses state of the art technology to preserve a living cavern. Reservations are recommended but they do reserve a few walk up spots every day--get there early. <br>

For building & street photography try the Historic Barrio area of Tucson. </p>

<p>Joe, southern AZ is famous for sunsets, cactus flowers, lightning, snow capped mountains, wildflowers and birds. People from out of town sometimes expect to pop in and catch great scenes and have been disappointed at times. Southern AZ is <strong>very</strong> time dependent as far as scenery is concerned. It can be down right ugly for most of the year. March is known for Hedge Hog cactus flowers and for wildflowers. It we get enough rain, the wildflowers cannot be beat. The Santa Rita Mts get a Poppy display every so often that is just spectacular. Organ Pipe NM can be great as well. The area near Kitt Peak can have nice Poppies as well but only about once every 12 or so years. If you are into birds, this is your place but you will need big glass. There used to be Antelope at the Buenos Aires Nat. Wildlife Refuge but I have not seen them lately. </p>