Help with Lenses

bazz farazz

<p>Hi All,<br>

So I am going to be taking a film class in the Spring and I need help on deciding what lens or lenses to purchase. I own the EF-S 17-55 but as we all know that won't work on a film camera. I will be selling it, to help pay for the new lenses, so I've been looking for things in that focal range. I have a 50 F/1.4 and 70-200 F/2.8 so that end is covered. I was looking at the combo of the Canon 20mm F/2.8 and the new Canon 35 F/2 IS or the Canon 16-35 F/2.8. The 16-35 will be pushing my budget once the sales end. I'd like to keep it around $1400 and 2.8 or faster. I also considered the new Canon 24 F/2.8 IS but was wondering if the gap between being used to 17mm and 24mm would be too much of a difference on my digital crop body. Any advice will be appreciated. I am just wanting to have all the ranges covered. <br>

Thanks <br>

Jeff</p>

<p>Your problem is getting wide and also fast (F/2.8).<br>

If I were you, I would not be in so much of an hurry to sell the EF-S17 to 55F/2.8IS.<br>

I think you have to consider what lenses you will have for your (APS-C) Digital Body, after you do this film course: the 17 to 55 is a nice lens.</p>

<p>I think that if you really want wide and F/2.8 – then either suck it up (and sell the 17 to 55) and buy the EF16 to 35/2.8L MkII USM<br>

OR<br>

Keep the 17 to 55 and (if you really NEED TWO wide lenses for the film course) buy a 24/2.8 and/or 35/2 (the non-IS lenses) that being a minimal spend and getting you quite reasonable quality glass at F/2.8 for your Film Camera, to use on the Course.<br>

(buying keenly, you could sell both lenses later at not too much ‘loss’ I expect)</p>

<p>Also – what is the duration of the Course? Is renting a 16 to 35/2.8 an option for you?</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Harry, EF-S lenses do not cover 35mm format, only crop body sensor.</p>

<p>I would also consider a used Canon EF 17-35mm f2.8 L or used Canon 20-35mm f2.8 L, each available for about the same as a used Canon EF 17-40mm f4 L.</p>

<p>I am not sure why you want to go as wide as 17mm, since you were used to about 28mm on your crop body. I am a superwideangle freak, currently using a 17 TS-E, but it takes time and patience to learn how to compose images well, with lenses this wide. </p>

<p>May I ask why a film course?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I am not sure why you want to go as wide as 17mm, since you were used to about 28mm your crop body"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I understand the question to imply: <em>'if I sell the 17 to 55 to fund this new lens, I also want a lens to (use on my APS-C body) to replace 17 to 55.'</em><br>

Maybe Jeffrey can clarify.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>I'm in college and the film class is required for the photo major. It is a 16 week long course. After reading the responses and thinking about it a little more I think I'm going to hold on to the 17-55 and get the 35 F/2 to have a wide-angle for my film body. I'll save the extra money for the film, paper, and all the chemistry I'll have to buy. I'd be fine with the non-IS just wish it didn't sound like a bag of mosquitos. LoL<br>

Thanks Again!</p>

<p>Yes, we will be doing developing and printing, both b/w and color. I don't think we'll be getting to use large format cameras. I know there is a dedicated class for large format and another 400 level class you have to do architecture shots with the large format camera.</p>

<p>As a university photo instructor, I would tell you not to buy anything at all, and just use your 50mm f/1.4. For starters, the extra two stops of light over a zoom will help make up for your inability to do crazy magic tricks with high ISO settings.</p>

<p>On top of that, I personally find that students of almost any level will find more creative solutions, and thus learn more, when they're forced to use a limited set of equipment. When you only have a fixed lens, you spend more time considering framing and perspective then if you have a zoom.</p>

<p>You might want to check out the movie 'The Five Obstructions', as it deals with the effect of restrictions on creativity. It's really very interesting.</p>