Hypothetical - how would you spend up to $8,000 on Nikons.

RaymondC

<p>no equipment at all? well, that's no fun. a couple of years ago, i was flush with cash and got the D3s, 70-200 II and 24-70. today i might swap out the D3s for the d600. with the leftover cash i would get the sigma 50/1.4, the nikon 28/1.8G, and the nikon 85/1.8G, and a sb-700. if i stayed with DX i could save a lot more, and would probably go d7000x2+17-50OS+70-200I+11-16+8-16+30/1.4, plus maybe a nikon 1 system. but i'm not so sure i wouldn't break from nikon altogether and get a complete fuji xpro1 or xe1 system or an olympus om-d with 7-14, 12/2, 25/1.4, 45/1.8, 75/1.8, 12-50, 45-200 and 100-300.</p>

<p>D800, 24 1.4, 85 1.4, 2 x SB-900. With the rest I should be able to buy a pair of memory cards, an extra battery for the D800, and some AAs for the SB-900s.</p>

<p>I may switch out the 85 1.4 for the 1.8, though, which would let me get a bag, tripod, ballhead, remote release, a few light shapers and some other minor goodies.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>including accessories - bags, filters, batteries, tripods etc</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ray, you came to the wrong forum to ask your gear question. No one here uses tripods, bags, or filters... apparently. I use an old Tiltall tripod I picked up on e-prey for less than $80.00. It is aluminum with brass fittings. Actually it is a Tiltall "knock off" called a Star-D. But it seems to be a Star-D that is basically indistinguishable from the Tiltalls of that era. It has all the key features that made the Tiltalls a cult favorite. Some people modify them to accept ball heads. You can swap out the center column. I just use mine as is.</p>

<p>My main bag is a backpack I got on the internet through some ridiculous pricing mistake. I like the solid hiking backpacks. They are well padded and you can hike with them for hours without shifting them from shoulder to shoulder.</p>

<p>I use a multicoated Heliopan polarizer. I am a Canon guy and bought a 77mm polarizer and just use step down rings for all my lenses that need them. I use multicoated Hoya filters for my black and white work with my 35mm Canon film camera and sometimes my medium format gear. No name brand IR filters from e-prey work fine in my experience. IR is such a niche thing for me I don't see myself spending hundreds of dollars on a lens I may only use twice a year. One word of caution. If you go with step down rings be very careful with the cheap ones. They are aluminum and will seize up on your filters often. I have learned to only gently screw my filters onto the step down ring. They are actually on the ring barely tightened at all. Because it takes hardly anything for them to seize up.</p>

<p>If it were me: Nikon D3s (used) + 24mm f/1.4G + 85mm f/1.4G.<br /> <br /> But, since I already did that, with $8,000 <em>more</em> dollars, I would now buy a <em>second</em> Nikon D3s body, and probably the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8, then get two Einstein E640 monolights with the loose change.</p>

<p>Dx...(approximate prices)</p>

<p>D7000.........................1,000<br>

17-55/2.8....................1,400<br>

UV & Pola screens..........125<br>

light tripod/head............420<br>

three extra Nikon <br>

batteries........................180<br>

four 32gb cards..............300<br>

Domke J-803 bag............160<br>

Lumix LX7 for back-up w/extra<br>

battery............................500<br>

Around $4,500. Use other $3,500 for travel.</p>