What is the medium format camera that will last forever?

<p>Hi all!<br /><br />Yes, the end of the world was not the end. Thumb's up for that! But what do you think about my next question?<br /><br /><em><strong>What will be in your opinion the medium format camera (body and lens) that will last forever?</strong></em> If you like, please argue your choice.<br /><br />It's fair to propose a camera, so in my opinion, the winner is <strong>Mamiya RB 67 ProS</strong>. Yours?<br /><br />The args for my choice:<br /><br />In few words, extremely well build, easy to clean, metal components, mechanical flawless, clean lens. The first impression for a novice is that's this camera is a military camera because of tough construction and weight (I know... it weight much).</p>

<p>Any of the TLR, but I'm partially to the Rolleiflex!<br>

As for SLR, simplicity and fully mechanical, with ample supply of spare parts.<br>

For this, I consider the Hasselblad 500 series system.</p>

<p>Use the Sunny Sixteen Rule in lien of a meter that could go bad and spare parts are not available. </p>

<p>I got my grubby little hands on a 3.5 Rolleiflex in 1957 and by 1968 it had fallen apart. I wrapped my digits around a Yashicamat, used it for many years and I still have it and it still takes great photos. I used a Hassy and thought it was a fine camera but a hot house flower -- not rugged enough for field work. Needed to be kept indoors. If you want a really rugged camera get a Speed Graphic. They make them in medium format sizes. The old time news photogs knew if a crime suspect tried to bash the photog they could slam him with a Speed Graphic and only the perp would be worse for wear.</p>

<p>It really comes down to who will be around to repair them. I was lucky to have lived a short drive from the only Mamiya factory trained repair guy on the west coast. Whenever I bought a lens and wanted the shutter checked, Jimmy would do so at no charge. His prices on other repairs I needed were very reasonable and his work was top notch. He even did repairs for items that other people sent Mamiya in New York that got botched the first time around. Sadly, he retired and now I have no idea where to take my RZ67 gear. I don't need any repairs now, but when I do I'll probably have to take a chance on one of the shops around LA. I've had major headaches trying to get my Nikon F2 and F3 bodies maintained as well. I've always said what will really kill film is the fact that hardly any film cameras are made these days which means 2nd hand cameras are the way for film shooters to go. After awhile, these cameras will need work and finding honest competent repair places are getting harder.</p>

I'm a Rolleiflex fan but not because they are necessarily rugged cameras... they have very fine mechanisms that don't

tolerate sand or grit. A much more rugged version would be a Rolleicord, a simpler camera with less delicate parts.

A Mamiya RB67 is a rugged camera too. I like Hasselblads better personally but an RB is the cockroach of MF SLRs.

<p>I have a 30 year old Mamiya TLR which has had only one roll of film and is in its original box and packing.<br>

When I checked it, and wound through the film and developed it, the camera seemed to be in perfect condition.<br>

If I leave it in the box, I think it will last longer than most !<br>

Even if it gets used, it's only at the beginning of it's working life.</p>

<p>Lots of RB67 were in beautiful cosmetic condition when resold, but completely thrashed inside from professional studio work.<br>

I had the impression you'd be lucky if an RB67 or RZ67 lasted a year of real work.<br>

I'm basing that on comments attributed to Beverly Goodway and to Rankin, among others.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>It's fair to propose a camera, so in my opinion, the winner is <strong>Mamiya RB 67 ProS</strong>. Yours?<br /><br />The args for my choice:<br /><br />In few words, extremely well build, easy to clean, metal components, mechanical flawless, clean lens.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I laugh at your choice. When I was at SPTS the guys who repaired these things said they fail regularly and had to be repaired often.</p>

<p>The only medium format that will outlast film production are the simplest cameras, the box camera. Easy lens to clean. Easy shutter to repair. Get the better box camera like a Box Tengor (2 element lens).</p>

<p>Mr. Nicolae...</p>

<p>How about the Hoga Pinhole? </p>

<p>It has no bellows or gaskets to fail, no lens to scratch (coatings are not going to go bad either) and the shutter is simple. If the shutter fails, one can do with out it on a camera that takes such a long time to expose film; use a cap. You don’t have to worry that it will loose its light tightness due to age or abuse, as it is already not light tight. </p>

<p>As California’s Governor Jerry (Moonbeam) Brown said 40+ years ago, “Lower your expectations.” Hmmm…. Talk about a prophetic statement! </p>

<p>A. T. Burke</p>

<p>I've been inside both Hasselblad 500/501 and Rollei 2.8F and 2.8E cameras. Hard to say which is more robust; they are both pretty simple and pretty well engineered machines. Perhaps it comes down to mechanical simplicity - and here, Rollei wins. </p>

<i>"The only medium format that will outlast film production are the simplest cameras, the box camera. Easy lens to clean. Easy shutter to repair. Get the better box camera like a Box Tengor (2 element lens)."</i><br><br>Good call, Tom.<br>You could almost (re)build a box from scratch using simple tools, inexpensive materials, and not much skill.

<p>@Frank Petronio: even if I do not like insects (bees are OK) your comparison is cool! :)) <em>"I like Hasselblads better personally but an RB is the cockroach of MF SLRs."</em><br /><br />Of course, a simple construction like a pinhole camera could last forever but was not my intention to talk about such cameras. I used a while a pinhole camera with more than interesting results but even so my intention regarding this thread is about mechanical with or without electronic components.<br /><br />Of course, any camera that is not used can have a great chance to last forever... :)<br>

--<br>

<a href="http://www.ioannicolae.o">http://www.ioannicolae.o</a></p>