Yashica 35 GX Metering system

doga_d

<p>My first film camera was Oly. 35 RC<br>

But it was its metering system didn't satisfy me and I ended up with a Nikon FG, which is extremely sensitive to light.<br>

Now I'm wondering whether Yashica 35 GX has the same type of metering Nikon FG has ?</p>

<p>1. Listed metering for the Nikon is EV 1-18, for Yashica 0-17. Both apparently use silicon photo diodes (tho one Internet site says CdS for the Yashica). The Nikon is TTL and CW but it is also an SLR, unlike the fixed lens Yashica. So it is SLR vs. rangefinder thing here.</p>

<p>2. The FG has Nikon P, A and M capability for exposure control.</p>

<p>3. Yashica came out in 1975, the Nikon in 1982-1986.</p>

<p>4. The GX has no manual over-ride (can use ASA dial tho), no shutter speed indication in viewfinder (outside of OK or Not LEDs), is aperture priority only and purportedly has lots of flare unless used with a lens hood.</p>

<p>Somewhat different cameras, regardless of similar metering range.</p>

<p>Jim</p>

<p>The metering is of course different, because in one case the metering takes place after light passes thru the taking lens (the Nikon), and in the other case the scene is metered externally of the taking lens lens. Probably the more critical question is what modes or methodology is the metering of each, and how might that affect the exposure. The general metering modes for cameras of those vintages are full scene metering, center weighted metering or spot metering. My Yashica Electro G, uses a center weighted pattern (although I don't know the ratio of center to periphery), and I'm guessing that the GX probably also does. Your camera manual will probably address this for you. The specs for the Nikon FG are that it uses a center weighted pattern for determining exposure. So, generally speaking, the metering is probably not significantly different for lenses of similar focal length. The easiest way to test out differences is to use a gray card, and interchange each cameras on a tripod using similar focal length lenses (or adjust your angle of view by moving the tripod to achieve a similar viewing/;ight measuring angle). There shouldn't be more than about a half f sop for a given shutter speed.</p>