Duration of Kyocera support for Contax G Cameras

jt991

<p>Fully aware that the Contax G2 has been out of production for some time, before buying a G2 (with its 45/2 and 21/2.8 lenses) I checked to see just how long Kyocera were prepared to 'support' them, and if they had appointed someone in the UK accordingly. This is what I found at www.contaxcameras.co.uk/support/support.html<br>

"Consequently, Kyocera will terminate the shipment of CONTAX-branded cameras, and the exclusive lenses and accessories in September 2005, except for the CONTAX 645 camera system, the shipment of which to some markets will come to an end in December, 2005.<br>

Kyocera will continue to provide after-sales services to its customers for their CONTAX-branded cameras, and the exclusive lenses and accessories over the maximum period of ten years within the specified time of each model."<br>

I guess this means that basically there'll be spare parts available for the G2 and its lenses until the end of 2015. <br>

So, is this assumption right ?</p>

<p>In reply to Alex : If I hadn't very regrettably parted with my M6 years ago, it would already have had lenses of the same focal lengths.<br>

So my G2 'set' was initially supposed to be a poor man's substitute, but is now regarded as a "wonderment" and IMHO just as good as.. Indeed if Kyocera hadn't dropped the G2, I'd not be getting an M6 set.<br>

And to Jason : I haven't found any Independent Technical Folk on this side of the Atlantic, i.e in the UK or the EU; and if I do, fear they won't know how to fix or get the spare parts. For example<br>

On 5 September 2012 15:14, <strong>Camera Repair Direct</strong> (in Cranleigh, England) wrote:<br>

We regret we are unable to repair or service this model.<br>

<br>

</p>

I love my Contax G bodies and lenses but I suspect that I will not be able to use them on my new M when it arrives (yes

B&H have my order). The flange distance is only about 1mm different and that coupled with the focusing approach of the

Contax lenses makes adaptors unlikely. I have never been tempted to have the mount changed through surgery

although I am aware of this option. The 21 is a really great lens and indeed all of them are up with my Leica lenses.

While not a lens I use a lot the 90 delivers amazing performance and is usually pretty cheap used. I probably use my 35

the most.

<p>Unless you'll drop your Contax G to concrete floor, it will be a reliable machine for the next two decades. Shouldn't be a problem to fit new light seals.</p>

<p>BTW, I have one Contax G2 system with the famous Zeiss Hologon 8.0/16mm for sale right now, because I want to abandon 35mm and invest into a new large format system (no, not digital).</p>

------------------------------------------

Worry is like a rocking chair.

It will give you something to do,

but it won't get you anywhere.

<p>Thank-you Jens for that welcome re-assurance (and your encouraging review of the G2 published elsewhere).<br>

As mine may well already be in its second decade of service, perhaps expecting it to survive another two would be too optimistic. I have followed (to no avail) advice seen elsewhere regarding a Contax chart showing years of G1 & 2 manufacture by serial numbers, by passing the lenses' serial numbers to Zeiss in Oberkochen. All they can tell me is that they were made "in 1996 or later" Also an opinion has been expressed that the LCD display begins to "bleed" with age; which as my camera's has not, I have taken as a good sign.<br>

</p>

<p>James, I have talked to several professional photographers who used the Contax G cameras until they switched to digital. None of them had any problems with the Contax. </p>

<p>3 years ago I had dropped one of my G2 onto a wooden table. A dent and an unstable manual focus was the result. So I sent it to the authorized Zeiss Contax repair, and they returned it with a new top plate and a new circuit board in a new condition. </p>

<p>I'm still working with the two G2 cameras and still enjoy their technical perfection. I don't panic, because I've learned from Anthony Robbins (famous personal coach and trainer) that it doesn't make sense to worry about a situation before it actually happens - you'll spoil hundreds of beautiful days with bad thoughts...</p>

<p>Just take good care of your cameras and enjoy every day with them.</p>

------------------------------------------

Worry is like a rocking chair.

It will give you something to do,

but it won't get you anywhere.