Giving one's camera to another for a photo

<p>I have never given one of my digital cameras to another person to take a photo which includes myself. Should it happen one day, I do not know how I shall ensure that the focus point falls on a person in the frame and not on a tree in the far background. With the film cameras I have owned, it was easy to set aperture and shutter speed, and to pre-focus, before handing over the camera. One problem I faced was bad framing: but that is easily taken care of by increasing subject distance so that there is more space for cropping. For the other main problem there may be no simple solution. Many people do not gently squeeze the release button as they should: they jam it down with force, rather as if it is the brake pedal of a motor car being used in a panic stop. The whole camera is tilted, and even 1/500 sec. is often not fast enough.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"With the film cameras I have owned, it was easy to set aperture and shutter speed, and to pre-focus, before handing over the camera."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Mukul, You don't indicate what Camera you have but, why can't you do the same. Maybe a bit of coaching to "squeeze" the shutter button is necessary. Otherwise I suppose your best bet would be to put the Camera on one of the Full Auto modes.</p>

I think anticipating the shutter delay is also a problem (even for me). Most peopke think the shutter works instantly and with no audible click to tell them otherwise it becomes a problem. I tend to use an optical viewfinder to help steady the camera and info on the monitor is of no use. My cheapo cell phone camera produces a loud click when the camera fires.

<p>I put the camera's focus mode to auto (all points), set it to F4-F5.6 and hand it over. My past camera's typically chose the closest object in that mode and I just made sure we/I was that object. </p>

<p>One technology new this year, Nikon released face detection in the viewfinder of one of its cameras (the D800, and not to be confused with face detection in live view mode). I find it very accurate and it nails the exposure when it recognizes there's a face. Watching a boy climb a tree my camera was focusing on this branch and that but everytime he stopped to look out it detected and focused on his face from within the branches and adjusted the exposure and I ended up with great shots. </p>

<p>So the technology is here in dslrs to do face detection in the viewfinder, I do hope it gets more mainstream than one dslr. </p>

<p>As long as you politely ask someone who looks normal and reasonably intelligent there should be no problem - obviously the camera should be set to auto and stopped down sufficiently, but it's just not that hard to get a decent snapshot - this is hardly rocket science or anyone's first photograph! I have done this on many occasions, no drama, no disaster, just decent snapshots of us in the environment for a memory.</p>

<p>If I get asked, I try and do the best I can, often taking a closer-in, or more dynamic version as well - but I realize this may have more to do with what I want and not so much the people asking me, who simply want a record of where they were together!</p>

<p> </p>

<p><<<<em>With the film cameras I have owned, it was easy to set aperture and shutter speed, and to pre-focus, before handing over the camera.</em>>>></p>

<p>Maybe be sure always to carry a spare film camera so someone else can take a good snapshot of you if you should need it. :-)</p>

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Whenever people, usually a couple (ie tourists), ask if I can take their picture with their camera, I say

"Sure!" I then take a few snaps, look the camera over admiring it, and then say, "That's a nice camera.

Thanks!" And then walk away with it for a few feet. Love the reactions...

www.citysnaps.net

<p>John H.: "How can we help you?"<br>

You cannot help, thank you. "Casual Photo Conversations" is, to my mind, not a place to ask for help.<br>

Jim, all digital cameras now have auto-focus and can be pre-focussed only with a half press of the shutter release, which is clearly meaningless here. I have taught photography and I know that the "shutter squeeze" is not something one can teach quickly to anyone, least of all a person whom one has asked for a favour.<br>

John Bellenis: "...this is hardly rocket science or anyone's first photograph!"<br>

I belong to India, John. Many here have never had photos taken of themselves and can hardly be expected to have aimed cameras at others. For such people, photography might just as well be rocket science.<br>

Fred G., that is a brilliant idea -- but it has one fatal flaw. If my film Leica is with me, I may never use a digital, which means none of the flexibility that zoom lenses give, no option of bouncing and other tricks with flash, no continuous fire mode...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I belong to India, John. Many here have never had photos taken of themselves and can hardly be expected to have aimed cameras at others. For such people, photography might just as well be rocket science.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ohhh - I wasn't aware of this. This being the case, there's just no way I'm going to hand over an expensive camera to someone to take their first photograph and expect a good outcome! I'm changing my answer to... self timer!</p>

<p>The simple solution to your quandary is to limit the parameter variables by using a tripod and preset everything.</p>

<p>Your chances of a successful image from a complete novice will be improved but are still not guaranteed.</p>

<p>It is likely why people here tend to hand their cameras off to those they already see with one. The odds are better but not perfect. Ever try to adjust the focus, and framing on someone's unfamiliar camera ?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Ohhh - I wasn't aware of this. This being the case, there's just no way I'm going to hand over an expensive camera</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Actually I never had the slightest problem in India with my camera, or using it. I tend to think there was much less of a chance of someone lifting or absconding with it there, than for instance here in the US.</p>

<p>Wow Richard - talk about a quote being chopped and taken out of context! Here is the actual complete quote which indicated or implied NOTHING about fear of theft or anything like that...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Ohhh - I wasn't aware of this. This being the case, there's just no way I'm going to hand over an expensive camera to someone to take their first photograph and expect a good outcome! </p>

</blockquote>

<p> </p>

<p>Most of us who carry a DSLR (or FSLR) in a tourist area are routinely asked to take a picture of a couple or a family. In the olden days when people used film, I would routinely check to see what kind of film was in their camera. I would usually ask why they chose a particular film. If it wasn't Kodak film, I couldn't help but suggest that they should try the latest generation from Kodak. Sometimes I would supply a roll. My wife thought I was being obnoxious at times, but I was very mild mannered compared to some of my colleagues who worked in Kodak film manufacturing. One of my friends would refuse to take the picture if it wan't Kodak film explaining that they were taking his job away. Since there are no longer consumables involved with the snapping of the shutter, I wonder if this is ever a concern. Would a Nikon employee refuse to take a picture with a Canon? </p>

<p>Set the autofocus button for something other than the shutter release button, and then prefocus before handing the camera over. Use a tripod if possible. If that's not possible, put the camera strap around the shooter's neck and instruct him/her to gently press on the shutter release. Tell the shooter how to compose, based on your earlier assessment of the scene; leave enough room for cropping. After the photo is taken, check to see how they did regarding composition (and if the other settings were correct or at least close enough).</p>

<p>Stephen, assigning focus to another button is possible only with the less ancient of the two camera bodies I have, an Olympus E-510. The procedure is too complicated for my ageing memory, however. It cannot be done with my old crock, an E-300.<br>

Alan, thank you for reminding me that there is a fully manual focus mode. My cameras are set to S-AF plus MF and I have never had reason to change that.</p>