Have you accepted and moved away from Velvia?

RaymondC

<p>I am just scanning some 9 rolls of slide film on my flatbed just b/c the holders hold more frames. Very slow going with Digital ICE. The colours continue to amaze me. Have you guys accepted and moved from Velvia, do you still shoot it or do you have some other way? Not looking for a technical discussion, just what are you doing now ...</p>

<p>For me I love the colours, will continue to shoot my 10'ish rolls every year for my trips ie. national parks. I have gone there before with a digital camera but the images were not as successful but I don't post process that much. More a Lightroom user. </p>

<p>R.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I discovered about 10 rolls in the freezer (a part of a "find" from 10 years ago. I finished my first roll in September and really liked the results (never used it before), so I started a 2nd roll about a week ago to capture the last of the fall colors. It seems to take about 3 wks to get it processed.</p>

<p>I just returned from three days in Sedona where I used Velvia 50 in my 6x6 medium format camera. The Velvia expired in 2005, but I always kept it in the freezer. The colors were superb. I also have a full frame digital camera but opted for medium format film. I projected the images with my Hasselblad slide projector. The projected images were a treat to see. As long as Velvia is available in 120, I'll continue to use it because of the colors, the medium format shooting experience, and viewing the projected images. <br>

Jerry</p>

<p>I actually moved on from slide film in 2004 to color negative film, since I was scanning everything anyhow. Nowadays, my film shooting is C-41 (C/N and chromogenic B&W), and occasional runs of B&W negative films (seldom enough that it is hard to keep the D-76). Fogging of the films in travel was just enough to give me the final impetus to buy a digital camera later in 2004.<br>

Film's for fun using my collection of old film cameras. When I travel, I am afraid I stick with digital.</p>

<p>Transition to dslr pretty much forced upon me for commercial reasons- most stock agencies in particular won't look at anything not digitised now, and the prospect of scanning everything I wanted to submit ( whether they accept it or not) and then paying to have a lab scan the acceptances again on an Imacon or Drum just made no sense at all. Reality is that I also saved £4000/5000 a year in film and processing costs, and every part of my process from print-making to keeping my website up to date is so much faster now. </p>

<p>I miss Velvia less than I thought I would - its nice being able to choose how contrasty etc you'd like your work to be without keeping different films in your bag. The extra dynamic range is beneficial too. I do miss using MF cameras- a blow softened somewhat by the advent of Live View. </p>

<p>If those who have large stockpiles they won't use would like to sell/send them to someone who will, please contact those of us who do still shoot film of all kinds and sizes. I shoot Pentax primarily in small cameras, so no FF for me in the digital world. My PZ1p is happy to get rolls through it, however. And the 645N if you have 120.</p>

<p>I was a long time velvia user (after kodachrome) who gave up on it about 5 years ago when we dropped to only 1 developer in the whole city. Don't know if they are still there. I am fully digital at this point and don't miss it. I still have a scanner but don't go back now for that time consuming process (120 film). The Nikon D800 gets me close enough now that I don't think there is a need. Time waits for no one.</p>

<p>I still use it in 120 and 220. Walmart processing for <$5 for 220 roll keeps it a viable option. Just did some fall shots with it in 6x6 with my buddy Carl Zeiss.</p>

<p>Scanning is an issue. I prefer to flatbed scan at home for proofs/small prints and outsource for hires scans for big prints.</p>

<p>i still love Velvia and keep a stock of a dozen 120 rolls in my freezer and restock when i fall under five rolls.<br>

but i must say i also love the provia slides.<br>

i think the real question is: for how long will stay chrome film and the E6 Process with us? </p>