Chicago CTA "you need a permit'

steve_10170

So anyone had similar experience? Care to help me untangle the issues here? Went to Chicago. While on overpass waiting for family

member to disembark from the L was told I cant ake pictures and need a permit to take any photos of the 'tracks'. What the heck is that

about? I was on an overpass outside of any structure shooting in general direction of downtown. And when i called the CTA info number,

the person on phone said exactly same thing, so obviously this is being promoted as a policy? so where do they get this from? And even

if i was on the L in transit, is there any foundation? I'm at a loss. thx

<p>Per <a href="http://www.transitchicago.com/riding_cta/policies.aspx#photo">CTA's website</a>:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>In general, simple personal (non-commercial) photography and video recording are permitted on CTA property and vehicles. Use of ancillary equipment, such as a tripod, or taking pictures or video of non-public areas of CTA property are not permitted.<br>

We've put together a <a href="http://www.transitchicago.com/business/photopolicy.aspx"><strong>Photography & Video Policy page</strong></a> to explain the policy in some detail. It also provides some helpful tips. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with the policy.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There's probably contact info on the site for their ombudsman or other person who can give you correct information.</p>

<p>I think you were unlawfully screwed (unless you were using a 'large camera')... Or maybe it qualified as a non-public area. Next time, get the guys name.<br /> <br /> From the CTA website (http://www.transitchicago.com/business/photopolicy.aspx):<br /> <br /> "The general public is permitted to use hand-held cameras to take photographs, capture digital images, and videotape within public areas of CTA stations and transit vehicles for personal, non-commercial use.<br /> <br /> Large cameras, photo or video equipment, or ancillary equipment such as lighting, tripods, cables, etc. are prohibited (except in instances where commercial and professional photographers enter into contractual agreements with CTA).<br /> <br /> All photographers and videographers are prohibited from entering, photographing, or videotaping non-public areas of the CTA’s transit system.<br /> <br /> All photographers and videographers are prohibited from impeding customer traffic flow, obstructing transit operations, interfering with customers, blocking doors or stairs, and affecting the safety of CTA, its employees, or customers. All photographers and videographers must fully and immediately comply with any requests, directions, or instructions of CTA personnel related to safety concerns."</p>

<p>Its actually quite common at various train stations. You can usually shoot snaps, but if they think you are shooting commercially, they will ask for a permit. I had to get a permit to use a large format camera at the Santa Ana Train terminal. But I was able to use a rangefinder. But then when a couple of buddies of mine and me went and started shooting, we asked the guard first, and he said it was ok, but then the supervisor came off her lunch brake and when she saw us running around the station (a small station) she had the guard tell us we needed a permit. Up at LA at Union Station I've never been hassled even when shooting right in front of guard. Just depends. </p>

<p>Doesn't sound right to me, but I think there is either something new going on, or just more attention being paid to people who carry cameras. I boarded the Metra a few weeks ago. I had my work ID badge hanging from a lanyard around my neck. My camera (DSLR) was in my lap. When the conductor checked my ticket, he asked, "Who do you work for?" and gestured toward my camera. He saw the puzzled look on my face and said, "I thought you were here to photograph" and walked away. The company I work for gets many discounts and I thought at first that that was what he meant by asking me who I worked for. Over the last few years I've taken many shots through the Metra windows, and occasional shots inside the car itself and never been questioned. I'm still not sure what he meant, but no conductor has ever shown an interest in the fact that I carried a camera before.</p>

<p>Metra policy is similar to Lex & Bob's CTA info above:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Photography & Videography:</strong> For safety and security reasons, photography or videography on Metra property is only permitted in areas that are clearly open to public use. Areas that are accessible only to Metra employees, including but not limited to, the right-of way and rail yards, are highly restricted areas and are not able to be accessed for photography or videography by the general public. Metra will prosecute trespassers to the fullest extent of the law.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What you encountered was yet another example of poor training and/or an overzealous self-appointed blowhard who is more interested in their own power trip than following the rules laid out and re-affirmed time and time again by the CTA. </p>

<p>The permit business is complete BS. </p>

thanks. i had a film camera - a small spotmatic with 50mm. what bothered me was not only the male and female employees on the

platform and their attitude despite my attempt to engage them but also the arrogance of the 'customer service' rep on the phone when i

called to seek rationale/ policy. again, i was outside on the cement overpass; not in or on a facility in any way and off to the side. they

came out to the sidewalk overpass area to make it their business and insist i needed a permit to take a photo of the city. same language

was used over the phone, so these folks believe they are correct in their assertion and are obviously being instructed. my daughter

commented that this was the third instance of assertive behavior i have encountered while taking pics on public property with film

cameras. we've now concluded that these interactions say more about dispositions of individuals / human nature than any company

policy or some loyalty of an employee. perhaps displaying a camera communicates a perceived sort of artsy/ passive signal that to some

is received as opportunity. none of these instances involve taking a photo of a person; all landscapes. and all of the people had to leave

where they were originally and go out of their way to interact with me. two were employees (cta here and ice cream shop employee was

other) and the other was a farmer (i was on shoulder of pavement taking pictures of field of sunflowers). And in the latter instance, my

children were with me in the car and the very aggressive behavior of the man earned him a visit by a state trooper because of a threat he

made toward me which they witnessed and stated later to the trooper). for me these interactions simply ruin the pleasurable moment i

seek in photography which is unfortunate and wholly unecessary.

<p>That policy has been in place for a while. Generally they won't hassle you as long as you're in a public area and you are not blocking passenger movement. Unless of course you have an 8x10 view camera and tripod set-up. </p>

<p>Were you obstructing movement or passengers? Were you in a restricted area? </p>

<p>If the answer is no - then you probably encountered an overzealous transit cop. </p>

<p>Steve, don't let it steal your bliss. For what it's worth, I've encountered more rudeness and unpleasant comments while photographing landscapes and roadside scenics than any other situation. Seems to happen anytime I'm within 100 yards of a public road. So far none of the tossed beer cans has actually hit me, tho'.</p>

<p>Compared with that, the occasional encounters with overzealous cops and security guards are more like friendly debates.</p>

<p>When it comes to train stations, it's always best to "ask first shoot later." Simply find out what the policy is, get it in writing, and hope that when a ignorant or power tripping security guard gives you a hassle, it will be enough to make him/her go away. A buddy of mine got an email from MTA that stated photography was permitted in all their subway stations and in their trains. MTA even holds photo walks of their stations. So when I decided to do some extensive shooing on the trains and in the stations, he forwarded me the email, I printed it and keep it in my bag in case I run into problems. Hasn't happened yet, but it's still in there just in case. So get the 411 on the policies beforehand.</p>