Canon Thursday Photo 2012: #40

nathangardner

<p>This was along Highway 395 in California near Crowley Lake and Toms Place. The aspen trees are just starting to turn to their fall colors as the weather has been unseasonably warm. I figure about three more weeks and the colors should be really brilliant. 5D Mk2 Sigma 24-70</p><div>00atH3-498625684.jpg.e3a4a6bfcb7ec6dd4e4950ba5bc24484.jpg</div>

<p>Mark,<br>

I found the shot of the grass speared leaf quite by accident. I was hiking the trails at the John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge and saw this out of the corner of my eye. I'd never seen anything like it. I can only imagine that this leaf is from last Fall. Then this Spring when the grass began to grow, this blade must have found a hole in the leaf and it grew from there.</p>

<p>Panda came to me a couple of months ago from a country shelter. He had been abused and neglected, and was in bad shape. He'll still need treatment to get rid of his heartworms, but it's nice to finally see him looking so good and in a relaxed pose.</p><div>00atHS-498627684.jpg.87beaa2a696770a38e227c5847bf3b3c.jpg</div>

<p>I had a lot of fun at the Mountain State Fair in Asheville NC... my first ever rodeo! Shot with the sun setting nicely and a 5DMkIII and the "venerable" 100-400L.<br /> <a title="The Chase by esfishdoc, on Flickr" href=" The Chase src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8298/7984132172_be05454d52_b.jpg" alt="The Chase" width="1024" height="683" /></a><br>

<strong>"The Chase" </strong></p>

<p>Great shots to all!<br>

Frank, I've got a shelter dog that has takien several years to get to a relaxed state with me; but it's worth it.<br>

I was able to shoot a macro of a flower about the house right after some rain this past weekend.<br>

Rich</p><div>00atK2-498643584.JPG.a071ad85ef027ddc6899f82b307c87db.JPG</div>

<p>It will be a busy weekend in San Francisco, what with America's Cup races, bluegrass festival and more. I'm off to Sears Point/Infineon tomorrow for the historic sports car races. Here's a shot from earlier this year, a Talbot Lago Type 26 Gran Prix racer from the late 40's/early 50's.</p><div>00atKh-498645684.jpg.fa38f37dd0ef7cfbf9f8ab451d5f3774.jpg</div>

<p>Red-breasted merganser bathing. 7D, ISO 800, 700 mm (500 mm f/4L IS+ EF 1.4xTC), f/9, 1/1600 sec. - Post processed in LR 4.2. Small crop off the left and right sides. Highlights reduced -79, sharpened 109, masking 51, Luminance Noise reduction 49, color noise reduction 25.</p>

<p>Caption should be Red-breast<em>ed </em>merganser. Doesn't seem to be a way to edit the caption. </p>

<p>This is not a common bird, especially at Ding. I was lucky to encounter several individuals...all female. No males, which are very spectacular. </p><div>00atNL-498655584.jpg.46032f8b691e46abfce98f2d56b4512b.jpg</div>

Mark,

The 800 will NOT be going in the kayak. And your photo makes me want to sneeze. I like cats but have to keep my distance b/c I'm allergic.

Phil,

I love the glass-like water. I can never find water like that, but I love it in photos.

Dennis,

Great shot! Love mergansers.

<p>Thanks for the kind comments regarding my dog. He is a good boy - always eager to please. I just hope he'll survive the chemo therapy he needs to overcome his heartworm infection.</p>

<p>I hope I am allowed a shameless plugin. If you have a dog, get it on heartworm prevention today! Any mosquito bite could get your dog infected. The treatment is life-threatening for the dog and an ordeal for the owner. Fortunately infection can easily be prevented by inexpensive medication. Start using it now!</p>