Hasselblad 500cm

amir_vii

<p>I'm planning on purchase a Hasselblad 500cm, I'm not sure what the ideal price is for a 500cm in good condition. Keh isn't a good choice for me since they charge $100+ shipment to where i live. I have seen some 500cms on Ebay but they seem overpriced. I live in Toronto, Canada, I'm not sure if there any local sellers here. I was hoping you guys would be able to help me out or at least send me some links from Ebay that seem to be asking for a reasonable price.<br>

P.S I also have a Mamiya C330 I want to get CLA'd here in Toronto. Does anyone know a repairman that specializes in Mamiya cameras? </p>

<p>Cheers</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks Russ, but this post is about someone wanting to sell a Hasselblad, i really didn't find much information about where to purchase except some information on KEH, and as i said KEH is not a good option since they charge a lot to ship where i live. </p>

<p>Thanks Andy. I totally forgot about Used Store at B&H and Adorama. I will check out. Just wondering how much would a good condition hasselblad 500cm cost? I made my own body kit on KEH and it came down to $1200 which I think is a lot. The body i chose costed ~300, lens ~600 and back and viewfinder ~250 combined. </p>

<p>I picked up a new 501CM with the 80mm CB lens for $1000 last year. I know I got a pretty decent deal, but when I was pricing used out I was able to find a similar setup for about the same price. I swapped the CB lens out for a CF (but looking at the images I can't see much difference). So I think $1200 is a bit high for a used 500.</p>

<p>Check out Craigslist. There's a 500CM in Toronto for $1000. http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/pho/3232925267.html</p>

<p>The problem with getting it off Craiglist would be the fact that I'm not very knowledgable about what exactly i need to check when buying the camera. So if there is a problem with it, I have wasted all my money on something thats not working and I'm a student and very tight on budget. Even with Ebay you can at least see some reviews about the seller. I have had bad experience getting things of Craiglist. </p>

<p>Been selling Hasselblad for nearly 12 years now online. Here is what to check on a Hasselblad. <br>

1. Set the lens on 1 second and fire it.. It should be a good consistent sound like this....bzzzzzzzzzzzz....click. If it goes...bzzz...pause.....bzzzz...pause....bzzzz...click. Then it needs a Clean, lubrication, and adjustment. If one second is good then I have never seen any of the other speeds be bad.</p>

<p>2. Take a flashlight and set the aperture on the lens completely open. Shine the light from the rear to the front while looking throughout the glass thoroughly. Then do the same from front to back. Look for mildew internally on the edges and for how much dust there is, cleaning marks, scratches, etc.<br>

3. Remove the magazine from the camera body. Fire the body while watching the rear doors. If they open and close with no problems all is well. If they stay open after cycling or don't close all the way as soon as you press and release the button then it may need a main spring. </p>

<p>4. See which screen is in it. If the screen in it has solid black crosshairs it is the old standard screen. Nothing special. If it has a screen in it with faint white crosshairs this is good....probably an acute matte. </p>

<p>5. Remove the insert from the magazine and see if the three digits or the serial number on the magazine matches the last three digits in the serial number on the casing. Or matches the entire serial number ( older magazines ).</p>

<p>6. Put the insert back into the magazine and crank the magazine on the side and see if the counter stops at 1. If it stops at 1 this is good. If it goes past one. Not good. Needs work. </p>

<p>7. Put the magazine onto the body and run it through all 12 shots and see if it operates smoothly.</p>

<p>8. Pop up the waist level finder and see if it opens well with no problems.</p>

<p>9. See if the lens focuses smoothly or slips.</p>

<p>10. There is a button on the side of camera underthe crank. Push it up and see if the mirror lock up works.</p>

<p>These are things to check. The only real problems I ever see ( and even that isn't too often ) is that the speeds on the lens at 1 second will be sluggish and the magazine might not stop at 1 because it needs lubrication. It's quite rare that I see a body which needs a main spring.</p>

<p>Hopefully this helps you a little.</p>

<p>blessings,</p>

<p>Ken</p>

<p>I think classifieds on forums like this or apug are the best bet. Only last month or so I got a 503CX, 80mm CF, 2 x extra A12 backs, 2 x A24 backs, a polaroid back, a rigid hood, PM5 prism finder, proshade, QR tripod plate, extra wind knob, shutter cocking tool, release adapter and cable and a bag to hold all that for $1k. None of the stuff was mint but it was all clean and works just fine. I had it all shipped over to Japan using express and that cost $110. Before I ran into that ad, I was scouring auctions for a couple of months and even basic, beat up 500cs were selling for $600+. I figured that I could sell all the extras I didn't need locally (Hassy kit sells for quite a lot in Japan) and end up with a basic kit for peanuts. I've decided to keep all the bits though since it all looks kinda useful.<br>

I think the price you will pay from a dealer will be higher than if you buy direct from a private source. The only advantage buying from a dealer is the possibility of getting a warranty but if you know what you are looking for you should be fine without one.</p>

<p>If you are new to MF film cameras I would suggest buying from a reputable dealer with a warranty or return privledges or an eBay seller with a history of good transactions ( and a return policy). You might save a few hundred dollars buying "a pig in a poke" over the internet but you may also be getting a non-returnable camera with a lot of problems. I've purchased several cameras from local craigslist people but in every case I examined the equipment personally and gave each a thorough going over before making an offer. Hasselblads are expensive to work on and should usually be CLA'ed every 3-4 years if used regularly. Buying a Hassey that's 20 years old without any knowledge of it's use and care can lead to problems.</p>

<p>Amir, I sold mine on eBay back in the spring (just wasn't shooting enough film for the luxury to make sense, and the new owner puts it to better use) for a bit under $1200. It was EX condition, with WLF, split prism screen, A-12 and 80mm, mid-1980s. For a really nice one from a known seller I'd expect it to cost a bit more.</p>

<p>I might be able to order it from keh and have it shipped to my sisters house in New Jersey, that way i don't pay $100 shipping and I jus pick it up whenever i visit her. <br>

I tried making my own 500cm on keh and it comes down to $1,241.00<br>

500CM CHROME LATE WITHOUT WAISTLEVEL MEDIUM FORMAT SLR MANUAL FOCUS CAMERA BODY = EX $265<br>

80 F2.8 CF T*(B60) MEDIUM FORMAT SLR MANUAL FOCUS STANDARD ANGLE LENS = LN- $645<br>

A12 CHROME BACK = EX+ $179<br>

WAISTLEVEL BLACK LATE (42323) = EX+ $159</p>

<p>Amir, I think KEH has been feeling the economy pressures like everyone else, and has been having some recent sales. For me the few extra dollars I may pay there vs. fishing on ebay is worth having the return warranty. For me the extra shipping to Canada would be worth it.</p>

<p>About a month ago I took advantage of a keh "15% off film gear" sale and got a 503cx (exc+), 80 cf (exc) and 150cf (bargain), along with a bargain 12 back for less than $1100. To be honest, the 503 looks like it's never been fired, I can't find any marks. Both lenses have some minor marks along the bayonet lugs on the front of the lens, and the only thing i can see on the 150 bargain lens is some slight discoloration in the black foam liner of the lens. The 12 back is bargain, and other than being old, don't see a thing wrong with it. My last ebay photography purchase was an "excellent excellent" condition Canon EF that arrived looking like it had been used at a Hanford nuclear site...</p>

<p>I did waste two precious rolls of Agfapan 100 loading the 12 back, until I found a guy on youtube explaining the peephole :)</p>

<p>Thats a great deal "W T"<br>

I think I will purchase it from KEH. There is also a 503cw for sale on Ebay for 1999 and I honestly think its a good deal which is very tempting.<br>

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hasselblad-503CW-Complete-Outfit-80mm-f2-8-lens-PME-51-Meter-Prism-A12-back-/160875284904?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item2574ea09a8#ht_500wt_1049<br>

What do you guys think?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I thought you wanted a 500CM. And do you like the prism finder or the waistlevel?</p>

<p>But anyway - I think that (based on prices from earlier in the year when I was paying attention) $1241 from Keh sounds like the deal I'd take, mostly because of the high condition ratings and Keh's reliability. They also give a 6 month warranty on used equipment.</p>

<p>Thanks Andy<br /> I actually wanted a 503cw for a long time since I had a plan to get a digital back later on when my budget allows me. But i posted on this forum and I had a lot of people saying I should first get the 500cm and later on , when im done school i can then upgrade. <br>

To answer your question i prefer prism finder since thats what i'm using on my Mamiya. </p>

<p>I have purchased items from KEH that were less than $100 posted to Australia. They do offer several postage options. I find it hard to believe you would have to pay more for shipping to Canada than I have to for delivery to Australia. One of those shipments included an early 40mm Distagon, 150mm Sonnar and metered prism which altogether would have to weigh at least as much as a body, 80mm, back and waist level, if not substantially more and even this was under $100 (admittedly, a couple of years ago).</p>

<p>Using <a href="http://www.keh.com/camera/Hasselblad-Camera-Outfits/1/sku-HH0199905152505?r=FE">this 500C/M outfit</a> as an example I went through to their checkout page. I have no idea where in Toronto you live, but to M3B 0A3, as an example, their cheapest shipping option is $51.16 which is a long way from $100. Do you need to go and check your postage costs?</p>

<p><em>Also is there a big difference between stuff rated EX and EX+ on Keh?</em></p>

<p>KEH explains their rating system on their site. As I intimated in my previous longer post, I was pleasantly surprised by the condition of my Bgn lens, EXC+ body, etc. I've purchased a fair amount of LF and 35mm equipment from KEH over the years, and only returned one item but that was due to my pickiness.</p>

<p>Those prisms are huge, I'm good with the wlf, and like you have experience with tlr and lf. I too think you ought to check your shipping costs. Around 2009 I bought some new darkroom equipment from the f stop timer guy in London, and the 3-day shipping they required was around $60 to usa left coast.</p>

<p>Wow you guys are right I have no idea why i thought its 100$. It's actually $74. Still very expensive in my opinion. <br>

I will order later on tonight from KEH. Just wondering what is the difference between the different lenses. CF, CFE, C, CB, F lenses? And as for the backs i should be looking at 12 backs for 120 film? Any other thing i should keep in mind? </p>

<p>my "12 Back" is pretty old, has the peephole in the rear to start the film.</p>

<p>As an old photographer with a "new" Hasselblad, I've found the Wildi book invaluable. I got a late 1980s edition out of my local library. I'd recommend reading that before buying a bunch of stuff, just my opinion though. Tom</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have purchased items from KEH that were less than $100 posted to Australia. They do offer several postage options. I find it hard to believe you would have to pay more for shipping to Canada than I have to for delivery to Australia. One of those shipments included an early 40mm Distagon, 150mm Sonnar and metered prism which altogether would have to weigh at least as much as a body, 80mm, back and waist level, if not substantially more and even this was under $100 (admittedly, a couple of years ago).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>KEH have certainly increased their international shipping costs by <strong>a lot </strong>recently. Just three days ago I was about to purchase a small, light lens (Mamiya 645 45/2.8) from them in their 17% off sale. $115.37 was a great price for the EX condition lens…but when I got to the checkout the <em>minimum </em>shipping charge (international mail) was $59.95!</p>

<p>I emailed KEH pointing out that that is completely unjustifiable. If I were to buy the very same item from any other source in the US, such as a reputable ebay shop (JoshuaCohen for example, which specializes in M645 items), the insured shipping would be $20 or so.</p>

<p>Now you might say that one shouldn't complain about the high shipping cost, given how good the lens price is in the 17% off sale. But that's not the point. KEH customers in the US get the cheap lens AND reasonable shipping. Why should international customers not get the same consideration? Are we being fleeced on shipping, to subsidize the cost of cameras and lenses to domestic US customers?</p>

<p>Compare it also to 2010, when I bought my 645AFD, HM401 film back, 55-110 AF zoom lens, and 645AFD instruction manual from KEH. That was a $1,148.00 order with many items - far heavier, far bulkier, 10x more more valuable to insure than a single small $115.37 item. KEH charged me $55.45 shipping on all of that, which made sense. But $59.95 shipping on a small $115.37 lens makes no sense!</p>

<p>Tim Smith of KEH Sales, in response to my criticism of the price, suggested an alternative -</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"We can ship by Priority Mail service for $40.45, but that would have to be set up through our Sales Department since the website does not offer Priority Mail.<br>

We can ship small, low cost items by First Class Mail for $12.95, but we normally will not use that method for lenses since it's not insured. If the lens arrives broken, we will not reimburse you."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So there was (a) no insured option under $40, and (b) no way to even access that $40 option - except by kicking up a fuss about the default $60 option.</p>

<p>I hope that KEH change their inflated international shipping policies - but they won't unless international customers point out the anomalies. As I wrote to Tim:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Should you get a chance to speak to KEH management, you might mention that customers are saying that “<em>Your international insured shipping prices have drifted way out of line with your competitors</em>”.<br>

Well, this customer is saying it anyway."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You certainly don't want to buy a lens cap from KEH as they will charge you the $59.95 you quoted to post it to you, when you checkout. That $59.95 minimum has been in place for a while though, like many I get on their site every few weeks to see what they have to sell. It's not a new price point. But it's also the reason why, in the instance I referred to previously, I made an order of a number of items to be sent together, as the savings I made over acquiring them ex-ebay, for example, more than paid for the combined postage, making it a worthwhile proposition. The order was also just under the AUD $1000 dollar customs threshold including the shipping, but that's another story... It is certainly not worth ordering small value items from KEH unless they are combined with other items to defray the postage to Australia.</p>