Spyder 3 Pro activation code

<p>So I borrowed my friend's spyder 3 pro to test it out; and was able to calibrate my monitors no problem. I decided I would use it enough to get another one myself. So I bought one. I uninstalled my friend's spyder 3 software. I reinstalled the new software. But I was never given a chance to enter the license code. It downloads the program, but when I start to try to calibrate it I'm given this:<br>

If you purchased more than one copy of Spyder 3 Pro, then you will need to run the software activation utility from the menu and activate all copies of spyder 3 pro.<br>

<br />I've been trying to figure this out forever and I'm going crazy. WHERE is the software activation utility from the menu??? I am trying not to rip out my hair at this point.</p>

<p>Hi Brooks,<br>

<br />Thank you for replying. :-)<br>

So I launched Spyder 3 Pro, and clicked the Help button in the upper right hand corner. (I downloaded the newer version of it from the datacolor website and it is only 4.0). However, all that comes up is just the help information- welcome, learn about color management, basic calibration, advanced calibration, studiomatch, tools, reference and further information. Would you be so kind as to tell me where the elusive activation is located?</p>

<p>I know nothing about Spyder software. However I believe that I ran into a similar situation regarding Yahoo Messenger. Although I had "deleted" the program, I could not use Yahoo Voice Messenger with the latest copy of Yahoo Messenger that I had installed. The problem was that although I had "deleted" the old version of the prrogram, there were vestiges of the old version that prevented a full installation of the new version. I ended up using Windows Explorer to remove every single "Yahoo" folder after I had deleted the old version. I then did a clean install of the new version. Problem solved! Perhaps not for everyone to do but this could be an explanation of your problem.</p>

<p>If you're using a Windows PC the trial versions of many programs will leave traces in the registry to indicate when the trial period has expired, or whether an unauthorized copy of a program has been used.</p>

<p>In some cases the only way to install a licensed version is to clear that data from the registry. While you could try to do that, it may be easier to use a restore point and set your PC back to a date before you installed the Spyder software the first time.</p>

<p><em>What Will said...</em><br /> <br /> There's really no need to "test out" a calibration device like the Spyder 3 Pro - its reputation is beyond reproach, and the likelihood of a modern monitor that can't be calibrated is remote in the extreme - nor is there any question about the need for proper monitor calibration.</p>

<p>It's to prevent this <em>calibration on the cheap </em>that Datacolor's software works in the restrictive way it does.</p>

<p>Hi Amanda,</p>

<p>First, I assume you are using a Windows PC; if you are using a Mac, I cannot help you.</p>

<p>1) Go here <a href="http://support.datacolor.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view">http://support.datacolor.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view</a> and download the Spyder3 (not the Spyder4) Spyder3Pro 4.0.2 Windows software.</p>

<p>2) Go to CONTROL PANEL > PROGRAMS AND FEATURES and uninstall whatever version of the Spyder3 software you currently have.</p>

<p>3) Install the file you downloaded.</p>

<p>4) Start the Spyder3PRO 4.0.3 either from the icon on your desktop or from ALL PROGRAMS on the Windows START button.</p>

<p>5) Click on HELP. You should see 5 entries. The fourth one down should be SOFTWARE ACTIVATION.</p>

<p>If this does not work or you are using a Mac, call Data Color using this contact page <a href="http://www.datacolor.com/contact-us/">http://www.datacolor.com/contact-us/</a></p>

<p>No, Will and Keith, it is not a violation of the Data Color software agreement. You may use the software on any number of computers; it is expressly permitted. That is probably because you need the hardware colorimeter for the software to function and that can be attached to only one computer at a time.</p>

Well, then I stand corrected. I know that Microsoft, Adobe and others will let you install certain software on two or three of your *own* computers under the assumption that you will be using only one at a time, but I have never heard of a software vendor allowing the use of its software on a *friend's* computer. Another first for me.

<p>Paragraph 4 of the license agreement:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>With respect to any monitor calibration software, Datacolor grants to you, and you accept, a personal, nonexclusive, nontransferable license to install and use the Software in object code format on one or more computers at a single physical location, and on five additional laptop, notebook or other portable computers.</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>With respect to any monitor calibration software, Datacolor grants to <strong>you</strong>, and <strong>you</strong> accept,...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Is the <strong>you</strong> in the EULA <strong>you</strong> or the other guy (the guy who purchased the product)?</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>I read it as you (the person who purchased the software) the right to install and use it on ...</p>

<p>I purchased the product, but it also runs on my Significant Other's computer (which sits three feet from me as I type). Of course to run it, I need the Spyder3 device which, at present, is in my desk drawer.</p>

<p>If by use, you mean generate a profile (the license does refer to "monitor <strong>calibration</strong> software") you need the Spyder3 device; if you mean load the profile in the display card, we both do it, but I believe it is covered by the terms of the license.</p>

<p>In any case, I cannot see Data Color getting upset about the use generating a new sale, as in the case of the original poster.</p>

<p>The license terms are generous, and can afford to be, since a physical device is needed.</p>