FD or vivitar

<p>Hmmm, sounds like a tough one.</p>

<p>The first Series 1 was very popular among press photographers in the UK because they were seriously tough with extraordinary optical quality for the price. A friend of mine got several front pages using his in the 'seventies.</p>

<p>On the other hand, Canon FD lenses were built to go head to head with Nikkors and the build quality on most is phenomenal, as is the performance.</p>

<p>I think that, unless the Vivitar is substantially cheaper, I'd go for the FD.</p>

<p>They're both excellent. The Vivitar is a little heavier than the Canon, but not by much. Their macro modes offer similar maximum magnification. I imagine either one be quite satisfactory if you get one that's in good shape.</p>

<p>The first and third versions of the Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm (by Kiron and Komine, respectively) have better macro capabilities than either of these lenses. They focus down to about .75m, while the Tokina, like the Canon, focuses only down to 1.2m.</p>

<p>I preface this by saying I don't own either you are asking about. I looked for both on this site (for mostly older lenses) http://www.photozone.de/active/survey/querylens.jsp. The Canon FD 70-210/f4 sharpness performance shows on the wide end as 67 (wide open) 79 (closed down several stops), and on the long end as 60 (wide open) and 77 (closed down). It doesn't appear to be much better than an average performer. Contrast it to the sharpness performance of Canon FD 80-200L/f4 on the wide end of 91 (wide open) 97 (closed down several stops), and on the long end as 91 (wide open) and (97) closed down. I owned the 80-200/f4 L for several years and personally I'd save my money to get the L glass, because it is simply an outstanding lens in all respects, blowing away others by Canon in the similar range.</p>

<p>Here are some sharpness/contrast performance numbers for the Vivitar Series 1-2nd version http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm.</p>

<p>Another thought for you to consider is a really strong contender by Tamron, the 70-210/f3.5 (Model 19AH -this is the fixed aperture model, not the f3.5-4 model which is quite inferior) - in the Adaptall 2 mount for the Canon FD. Its performance blows away the Vivitar you are thinking about. Here is a link to its performance data and description: http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/19AH.html. I just came back this afternoon from shooting with this lens in a local forest preserve (I had it mounted on my Nikon D300), and it was as sharp and crisp as any others I've ever used in this range - including the Canon FD L glass discussed above. One thing I like about this lens, besides its performance is the ability to use it on virtually any SLR camera by merely switching adapters. </p>

I had the vivitar for many years and never used it much as I generally used primes. A few years ago Mark Pierlot's

enthusiasm persuaded me to buy the 80-200 F4 L. While I am not a great fan of the push pull mechanism I must say that

this lens is very impressive and a lot better than the Vivitar. Of course there is a big difference between the $30 vivitar

and Canon and the $200+ L series lens

<p>I haven't had the FD lens, but I have had various versions (3 altogether) of the 70-210mm Vivitar Series 1 lenses in different mounts (Nikon, Contax/Y) and they are very fine lenses indeed.<br /> I think no matter which way you go, you will have chosen wisely.</p>

<p>I've had very good results using Vivitar branded zoom lenses made by Kobori (lens serial numbers start with 77). The two I own in FD mount are:<br>

70-210mm/4.5<br>

35-105mm/3.2-4<br>

Both are multicoated and allow close "macro" focusing at the highest focal length.<br>

Evidently these don't have enough of a following to have ridiculous offering prices on auction sites.<br>

Lens info and photo examples for these are common on the Web.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I actually posted a response yesterday, but obviously it got lost :-(<br>

Well, I use mine 80-200 normally handheld, though it IS rather heavy and that is why I cannot imagine using it on a relatively tiny 4/3 camera like the afore mentioned Panasonic G-1.<br>

Image quality of the lens is near perfect. I once tested it against FD 1,8/85 and Tokina 2,8/60-120 at 85 and 120mm respectively (at f/4 and 8) and found out that it is clearly better than those other two lenses.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I have had a Series 1 70-210 zoom Canon mount, 3.5mm for my A-1 and it was god awful heavy. Good lens, mostly metal and glass but heavy. I also have a 70-210 mm Canon, lighter, easier to use, no lens creep, but I actually think the Vivitar is a tad better. But not enough to say to say the Canon zoom is not a good lens. For a walk around lens it's the best.<br>

However, my Vivitar vs Canon would be this:<br>

I have a Vivitar Series 1 28-90 3.5-4.5 zoom, still rather heavy and solid but a great sharp lens ... and a Canon 35-105mm ... a bit lighter ... does anyone have either of these two lenses ? What is your experience with them. I tend to like them both and use the Canon on my T-90 and the Vivitar on a T-70 and A-1.</p>