"Water marks" and "dirt" on negatives

Hi, On just about every one of my rolls, there are strange water mark

looking things. Usually they dont show up on my prints, but I've

started to notice them more and more lately. Also, my negatives just

seem dirtier than ever lately, and I don't really know why, but what

is especially puzzeling are these "water marks" ?! If anyone can shed

some light, pleeease! Thanks a bunch.

PS: please look at photo for examples.<div>0049sZ-10484684.jpg.545990d11d04ea5f9bd93c58ed35f862.jpg</div>

With loads of woolen goods flying about like winter coat and heating with its effect upon humidity its a good time of the year for <cite>dreck</cite>.

<P>

You may want to

<UL>

<LI>Final rinse, <strong>still on the reel</strong>, in some distilled water with 1/2 the prescribed dose of a wetting agent (e.g. Kodak's Photo-Flo or Agfa's Agepon or Tetenal's Mirasol).

<LI>Extract the water from the film by placing the reel(s) in a salad centrifuge and spin.

<LI>Remove film from reel and hang to dry.

</UL>

<P>

Should this still not produce good results it means that your drying area is unacceptable and you may need to consider something like a drying bag (e.g. Jobo Mistral, Durst UT-100 or DevAppa FT-1800) or cabin.

That looks like it was scanned from the negative. Was it? B&W negative are tough to scan well. Vuescan makes it easier - it has grain reduction filters and can make multiple passes with most scanners to minimize grain and minor flaws like most water marks.

Anyway, while I rinse my film in tap water my final step is always a thorough final rinse with Photo-Flo in distilled water. Squeegee the film between my fingers (not fingertips), hang to dry under a celing fan on low. Virtually no problems with embedded dust or water marks.

Sean: It is also important to have your wash water supply filtered. Use a wetting agent in clean distilled water,after washing, as stated by others however I could never use any forced air drying as I live in a cold climate and winter heating and its associated low humidity allows for a profusion of dust particles to float about during this time of year. That may be fine in Texas, as Lex has stated but it would be disaster in Canada or northern climates anywhere. If you have a furnace going at this time, even with a humidifier, I would dry your negatives in a dust free area , possibly a small cleaned out closet. Remember, when you're ready to hang your negatives up for drying, don't walk too far either as they are sticky at this time and will attract dust.