Interesting and unusual advice via Magnum

c_wyatt

<p>The Dave Clark Five</p>

<blockquote>

<p>On 10 March 2008 the band was inducted into the <a title="Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame">Rock and Roll Hall of Fame</a>. wikipedia</p>

</blockquote>

<p>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dave_Clark_Five<br>

http://www.daveclarkfive.com/daveclarkfive/index2.htm</p>

<p>I find I'm influenced by almost everything, photos, books music, light sound, painting, poetry, prose. I would never tell anyone to not look at other people's photos. But I would tell them also to broaden their experience of life. I enjoy looking so much and surely I can emulate style but I think it all it helps me in my own evolution.. not just in photography but on my own personal outlook on life fads, fashion and current events too.. ..just sayin. Its all interrelated, I think.</p>
  • Henri Matisse. “Creativity takes courage”

• 2 months later...
<p>I feel the most important aspect of looking at other's work is realising how far one has to go. I distinctly remember the first few times I uploaded my shots and my feelings of pride that I'd actually managed to take in-focus and clear images which looked really good to me at the time. Having seen literally thousands of images in the interim, I am now able to judge them by far higher standards and think of what I should have done, ether technically or compositionally. I think it also helps to understand that one's shots might not be as groundbreaking or original as one thinks. Trawling through loads of images in a particular category, it is easy to see the same treatments coming up again and again (e.g., low, wide shots of mountains with a river in the foreground) and at some point one has to think about how one could make a particular photographic opportunity lead to something more creative, or to realise that, while perfectly fine, you're not going to win any awards simply because you took a drive to the country with your camera. Of course, with street work, one often simply gets what one can- composition can feel like it's in the lap of the gods. Even when one comes across a scene with strong emotion or an unusual aspect to it, the difference between a really great shot and yet another monochrome still of everyday life can lie in tenths of seconds. I recently took a "mis en scene" which I was quite happy with- lots of stuff going on, everything reasonably sharp, exposure fine, nobody looking at the lens. But last night I found myself thinking, "Why did I take that?" "Why would a totally disinterested viewer browsing through the work of hundreds of photographers stop to look at this particular shot for more than a second?" Being on the other side of this equation, clicking quickly through in search of something arresting, has helped me understand clearly that one shot from the work of hundreds of complete strangers really has to be pretty good to stand out. </p>

>>> Even when one comes across a scene with strong emotion or an unusual aspect to it, the difference between a really great shot and yet another monochrome still of everyday life can lie in tenths of seconds. ... But last night I found myself thinking, "Why did I take that?" Why would a totally disinterested viewer

browsing through the work of hundreds of photographers stop to look at this particular shot for more than a

second?" Being on the other side of this equation, clicking quickly through in search of something

arresting, has helped me understand clearly that one shot from the work of hundreds of complete

strangers really has to be pretty good to stand out.<P>

Excellent analysis. That speaks to the wide gap between good <i>street photography</i> and taking pictures

of people on the street.

www.citysnaps.net