A trip to Arizona/Utah: Lens advice

alireza_r

<p>I'm planning a trip to Arizona and Utah in the beginning of July, to visit "The Wave", "Antelope Canyon", "Grand Canyon", "Bryce Canyon", "Horseshoe Bend", and "Monument Valley". So here are a few questions for fellow photographers who had visited these spectacular places:<br /> - I have only prime lenses, namely CV 20mm, 40mm, and Canon 85mm, 135mm (I manily do portraits, but in this trip I only want to do landscape). Would you take these lenses or rent a 17-40 and 70-200 instead, to be more comfortable and don't lose shots?<br /> - Do you think I absolutely need anything wider than 20mm (to shoot in Antelope Canyon, or Horseshoe Bend)?<br /> - Is July a good time to travel in this part of the country?<br /> - Do you think I can get entrance ticket for "The Wave", if I show up the day before?</p>

<p>Lens advice depends greatly on your camera. Is it crop or full frame?</p>

<p>In my experience, the most important thing is to lighten your burden when you go hiking. I found that my 24-105 on my 5D did just about everything I needed on many a hike through Yosemite, Yellowstone, Badlands, etc. In hindsight, some light EF-S optics on a crop camera might have served me even better.</p>

<p>July will be hotter than blazes...so take lots of water, sunscreen, and wear a hat! Your lenses should do fine on a full frame camera, but if you are using a DX camera, you might want something a little wider. Also I suggest making sure you have a lens shade, a tripod and possibly stitching some panoramas...practice ahead if you aren't familiar with the technique.</p>

Antelope canyon - I recommend one of the "photo tours". They are set up at times when light shafts are coming down. I

used a 24-105 lens and a tripod.

I would also night recommend a wide angle 16mm for capturing the breadth of the views. If you haven't done panorama

stitches before, I would really recommend reading up on it and practicing before you go.

For monument valley, do a google search for photo tours. There are some where you camp out overnight at the top of one of the mesa's. I have done it that, but would in a heartbeat. Should make for a great photo opportunity for sunrise, sunset photos

<p>I used to do panorama stitches back in the days I was more into landscape. But I imagine shooting panorama in Antelope Canyon would be difficult, due to parallax, and I don't have a panoramic head. Do you think it's necessary?</p>

<p>At the wide end, every mm counts. I'd probably go w/ a 17-40 or 16-35, even though the 20 & 40 will do <em>most</em> of what you want, you will <em>instantly</em> want the ability to go wider. </p>

<p>Another one to consider would be the Sig 12-24, not great for panoramas (due to the distortion), but you'll fit a heckuva lot more into the frame when you are in the middle of a narrow canyon.</p>

<p>Of course that doesn't lighten your load much...</p>

Oh, one other thought - if your budget sill allow for it..... I charterd a smaller helicopter with pilot (about $400 for a hour)

to fly me around the back country of Zion. He landed on the top of one of the mesa and I got a great panorama shot.

I've tried taking photos out the plexi windows of helicopters in the past, have never been happy with the results. Again,

flicke, then search for ApMadoc Zion

<p>Stitching is too difficult in the slot canyons due to the distortion from being too close to the subject , but would work really well for broader landscape views at Bryce, Grand Canyon & Monument Valley.</p>

<p>Alireza:</p>

<p>I wouldn't visit Arizona during July if I could pick another time. The low levels will be extremely hot. Average highs over 100 F. The mountains will be cooler, with highs in the 80s or 90s.</p>

<p>I took my daughter to visit relatives at the beginning of April. Highs in Phoenix were around 90, and the temp at elevation was in the 70s.</p>

<p>Here are my photos: <a href="http://canid.com/arizona/thumbs.html">http://canid.com/arizona/thumbs.html</a></p>

<p>I took a Fuji X100 (with a 35mm equivalent lens), and then a 24-105/4 and 70-300L used on a 1.3x crop. I didn't feel like I was lacking anything. For Antelope and Horseshoe bend, I was at 24mm * 1.3, and it would have been nice to have a little wider. Your 20mm on a full frame should be just fine.</p>

<p>I would definitely go into the Grand Canyon well before sunrise. That was worth while. I used my 70-300 for those shots. And a very, very steady tripod. :) In fact, sunrise at the GC was the only time I used my tripod.</p>

<p>I'm not a huge fan to how I was treated by the Navajo guides in Upper Antelope Canyon. Be prepared to be hurried along. I went on a regular tour, but paid a premium price to go during the best time in the middle of the day when the light shafts appear. It was extremely crowded. My daughter really, really hates heights, or we would have gone to the Lower Antelope Canyon. I've heard that it's not nearly as crowded and isn't as much of a tourist trap. Picture an endless stream of people going through a narrow passage, and then doubling back and passing the next endless stream of people. I angled my shots up to avoid including the crowds. Instead of a tripod, I raised my ISO and braced myself against the walls.</p>

<p>Sedona is beautiful. I'm not generally a fan of tours, but we had a blast with the Pink Jeep Tour "Diamondback Gulf." My aunt, my daughter, and myself were the sole passengers, and we had a wonderful driver. </p>

<p>Given the choice, I would try to pick a time in the fall or even next spring instead of the middle of summer.</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p>I did the exact trip you described in April 2011, except for The Wave. I did not get the lottery ticket and decided to not camp out day before. Plus there was so much at the other places, I did not really miss it.</p>

<p>For lenses, I would recommend the wider the better. I used my Sigma 10-20 on my 40D crop (equivalent of the 17-40 Canon on your 5D). I think the 17-40 lens is a very good choice for you, especially at Grand Canyon, Zion, and especially Horseshoe bend and also a little bit at Monument Valley and Bryce, where you will find yourself dialing in between 17 and 24 a lot, just to capture the vistas. </p>

<p>But most of Monument Valley and Bryce (and likely the Wave) and all of Antelope, you will want to use the long end of the 17-40, or better yet also rent a zoom in the 24-70 range and use that. (I used my 17-55 lens a lot at those locations - and exclusively at Antelope, since I did not want to change lenses in there - far too dusty.) Zoom lenses will give you much more flexibility than your primes, and save you switching lenses. I shot 90% of outdoors at f8, so the slower zoom lens speed did not matter.</p>

<p>I had a 70-300 along also, but I only used it in a few places. Probably less than 5% of my 2,000 pictures. If I was doing it over, I might have left that at home and just brought my 85 prime and 1.4x tele-converter for the occasional long shot(lighter and easier to carry.)</p>

<p>Photo tour option at Antelope is a must. I did that and it was worth the extra money (the guide clears people out of your way, hit the beams at exact right time, etc.) My daughters also just got back a few weeks ago and saw Canyon X as well as Upper Antelope in one day. They wished they had done the photo tour, but they still enjoyed it all.</p>

<p>Last, spend the extra $ (not too much extra really) and have the Navajo Indians take you on a tour of Monument Valley. We did not stay overnight, but the guides took us places the general public is not allowed. The views and shots there were the highlight of the trip for me. Simply amazing.</p>

<p>I just got back from there. I have a 5D (original) and a 7D. I visited Antelope canyon (the 2nd time), The Wave, Bryce, Zion, Arches (5th time) and Canyonlands (5th time). I visited Monument Valley last year in March. I visited Grand Canyon's North Rim 2 years ago.<br>

First, Antelope Canyon. I strongly recommend that you consider Lower Antelope Canyon. It does not have the shafts of light though. I also does not have the great hoards of tourist. What it does have is stunning patterns and swirls. Most importantly, you can tour, on your own, for 3 hours. Ask for the photo tour at the booth. The cost is only $26. As far as lenses go, don't even think about changing lenses in Antelope. There is lots of dust in the air. Given that you have one camera, I recommend the 24-105.<br>

Next, Bryce. Sunset is pretty good. Sunrise is awesome. Most of the work I did there was with the 24-105, either on my 7D or 5D. However, I also used a 100-400 for a few shots. I recommend that you walk down the trail below Sunset Point a little to get a better perspective than you get from the rim. <br>

I went to Monument Valley last year. I recommend that you consider staying at the View Hotel. The views are great, especially at night. I hired a photo guide in the afternoon. That was a good move for two reasons. First, he took us to places we could not have gotten to without him. Second, he gave great advice for sunrise photos the next day. Lenses I used included everything from ultrawide to telephoto.<br>

Grand Canyon. If you can choose, I recommend that you visit the North Rim. Many fewer tourists. Great views. Ina forest.</p>

<p>Email me if you want to talk more about these wonderful sites. I am at TheWanderingCamera@gmail.com</p>

<p>You'll just need to cover the ground between say 20mm and 200mm. Preferably you'll do that in as few lenses as possible since some of the ground you'll cover will be dusty and minimising lens changes is useful. </p>

<p>Is July a good time to travel? Well it wouldn't be my first choice. It will be hot (maybe that doesn't bother you but for me it affects my motivation to photograph). It will be busier than it is in more photogenic parts of the year, and sunrise times in particular will test your resolve to get up and out so as to catch the best photography opportunity in the day. You're going to get a lot of clear blue sky and a lot of glare in the light, especially if your photography is done when the sun is high. <br>

Sorry, can't answer you question on the Wave, but it could be a long day in hot sun.</p>

<p>First let me say that I live in Phoenix and have photographed in all these places, most of them many times. So I'll give you my perspective, which may be different than others have said. But it's what has worked for me. You don't say how long you'll be visiting these places. They aren't particularly close together, and it would be a shame to rush. </p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>1. I have only prime lenses, namely CV 20mm, 40mm, and Canon 85mm, 135mm (I manily do portraits, but in this trip I only want to do landscape). Would you take these lenses or rent a 17-40 and 70-200 instead, to be more comfortable and don't lose shots?</em></p>

</blockquote>

I agree with others that zooms will give you maximum flexibility, while possibly letting you carry less stuff.

<p>Shooting style is a very personal thing, and Landscapes are no exception. My own preference is to carry three zooms: 17-35 f/2.8 L, 24-70 f/2.8 L, and 70-200 f/2.8 L. Conveniently, these all take 77mm filters. Be sure to use a good polarizer! I tend to shoot in these places with the 24-70 more than other lenses. But I also like a long lens from time to time, as evidenced by <a href="http://warthman.zenfolio.com/p607120155/h356f9aa#h356f9aa">this shot taken in Zion</a>. </p>

<blockquote>

<em>2. Do you think I absolutely need anything wider than 20mm (to shoot in Antelope Canyon, or Horseshoe Bend)?</em>

</blockquote>

Yes, for Horseshoe Bend you really need at least 17mm, and a 16mm would be even better. I totally disagree with those who say a 20mm will be sufficient. Take a look at this <a href="http://warthman.zenfolio.com/p492536380">Horseshoe Bend image</a>, shot at 17mm. This is a 30 sec. exposure under the full moon. In Antelope Canyon I generally shoot with the 24-70.

<p>Also, at The Wave you may want to shoot really wide! Take a look at <a href="http://warthman.zenfolio.com/p492536380/h3e889687#h3e889687">this image</a>, shot at 17mm.</p>

<blockquote>

<em>3. Is July a good time to travel in this part of the country?</em>

</blockquote>

Yes! But as others have said, it will be hot! Be sure to drink lots of water, wear sunscreen and a hat. Seriously.

Contrary to what some have said, some places (like The Wave) see fewer tourists during the hot months. Fall, winter, or spring are likely to be MUCH more crowded!

And July has the potential to be more photogenic than the cooler months. Early July might be a bit early in the monsoon season, but it's certainly possible that you'll have awesome monsoon storms and the accompanying clouds. While this would make for dramatic images, you must be careful not to go into slot canyons if there is rain anywhere in the watershed. For Antelope, the Navajos watch the weather carefully and will not let you go into the canyons if there is any risk of a flash flood.

<blockquote>

<em>4. Do you think I can get entrance ticket for "The Wave", if I show up the day before?</em>

</blockquote>

Well, it's "iff-y". If you're there on a holiday weekend it will be crowded, so maybe best to go a bit later in July. As I said, the heat will keep many people away, and potentially give you wonderful monsoon clouds. The best bet is to plan several days in the Page area, and go to the BLM office every morning to try and get a ticket. Did I mention that you need to carry plenty of water? :-)

Best of luck, and I'd love it if you would return to this thread and post a link to your photos after your trip.

Enjoy,

Jim

<p>Just got back from Upper Antelope 2 weeks ago - and can't wait to go again next year. Here's what I learned: (1) take a wide angle lens, (I had my 24-70 - worked great) and don't even think about changing the lens enroute to, in, or leaving the site - the sand is like flour, and permeates everything. (2) try to keep your camera protected enroute to, and leaving the site (use a camera bag or keep it under your shirt e.g. - again, the sand. (3) Leave the tripod @ home. There are areas inside the canyon that are only 4' wide, with 70 or more people constantly trying to pass you in either direction. Your tripod will take up 2/3 of that 4' space, plus you'll be in a group of perhaps 12 other photographers - all climbing over one another trying to get the same shot. You'll find the tripod will be bumped on more than one occasion - not worth it. (4) Shoot in "A" mode, aperture @ f8, set camera to "cloudy" - this will result in warm colors in the canyon. (5) if you can, protect the area on your camera where the lens is attached to the camera with something like electrical tape. Again - the sand. Also take a chamois (wrung almost dry) and blower bulb with you - great for cleaning up the camera after leaving the canyon. We were lucky on my tour - our guide was also a photographer - great combination. Also - I used no filters when in the canyon. Try to remember why you're there. I must have missed 50 shots because I was staring at the changing light and shadows - my mouth open, simply stunned by the beauty of that magical place. Above all - enjoy the tour - that place is special.</p>

<p>I'm not trying to be a contrarian - honest! But I must take some issue with Glen's recommendations. I *always* use a tripod in the slot canyons! Yes, it's sometimes inconvenient with people walking past, although in Lower Antelope this is much less an issue. Also, some tripods (e.g. Gitzo) allow you to set the legs at weird angles so you can snuggle up to the canyon wall. But a tripod is absolutely required for my shooting style with my 5D Mark II:</p>

<ol>

<li>Shoot in Manual mode. My slot canyon shots are typically at f/11 and sometimes f/13.</li>

<li>Compose the shot, then set critical focus, accounting for depth of field.</li>

<li>Use the meter to set shutter speed. At ISO 400, my shutter speeds are generally from .5 seconds - 8 seconds, and sometimes 10 or 20 seconds.</li>

<li>Bracket heavily!</li>

</ol>

<p>Obviously this only works with a tripod. You can see examples of my slot canyon shots <a href="http://warthman.zenfolio.com/p492536380/h3df45818#h3df45818">here</a>, <a href="http://warthman.zenfolio.com/p492536380/h3df45818#h31ae2d5e">here</a> (HDR), <a href="http://warthman.zenfolio.com/p607120155/h13de0b6b#h13de0b6b">here</a>, <a href="http://warthman.zenfolio.com/p607120155/h5c9baa2#h5c9baa2">here</a>, and <a href="http://warthman.zenfolio.com/p607120155/h5c9baa2#h5c9baa2">here</a>. Enjoy! Jim</p>

<p>On my trip the most useful lens was the Tamron 18-270mm - it covered <em>almost</em> anything. If I could take only one lens that would be it. I also carried a spare camera body with the 10-22mm attached - it was a must in order to capture horseshoe bend and antelop canyon. With the two camera bodies with a lens attached to each I didn't have switch lenes - an extraordinary plus in that dusty environment.<br>

When I took the photo tour of antelop canyon I asked the guide to set my camera for the most useful settings. They were far more knowledgeable than I was since it was my first and probably last visit there.</p>