Getting Started with at-home printing...

michael_s10

<p>I'm looking to get started with at home printing - not to save money necessarily, but to "learn the art" so to speak.</p>

<p>There are a lot of options for printers - I think I want something that will do 11x17 prints.</p>

<p>Does anyone have any suggestions (including that I'm insane for wanting to print at home).</p>

<p>I assume you mean inkjet, not wet darkroom. If so, the first decision point is dye vs. pigment. Pigment inks last much longer, so if you want prints that won't fade for decades, that is the way to go. If that is not a concern, dye-based inks offer rich colors, and the printers are not terribly expensive. I use a dye-based printer, a Canon Pixma Pro 9000II.</p>

<p>Be prepared: there is a lot to learn to get things as you want them. I find it fun, but a lot of people find it very frustrating.</p>

<p>Any of the above printers will work just fine. My caution ( I exhibit and sell photos, and do a good amount of the prints myself at home) is to not get carried away with making prints! It can get expensive in a big hurry....I use Lexjet metallic paper, which absorbs a lot of ink, and the prints look gorgeous. The biggest expense, as others will tell you, is ink. When I come back from a shoot, the temptation is to print a bunch of captures, but I have learned to resist doing that. Now, I generally only print photos that I am going to exhibit. When you do start printing your own stuff, you'll no doubt have the "WOW" factor for the first several (because modern printers are so good) and you will want to print them all....then the next thing you know, you're online ordering $100 worth of ink.</p>

<p>But...it is very satisfying to do; you have been involved in the whole process - capture, preparation, printing. The sense of pride is strong.</p>

<p>Enjoy!</p>

<p>I recommend the Epson line of printers. They have the most extensive line of photo printers and they are excellent. However if you just want to dip your toe in the water, any inkjet printer will do good photos. If you have one already, try using that to learn and wait until you have a better idea of how serious you want to be to get a dedicated photo printer.</p>

<p>The key is get good photo paper for your printer. Start with the printer maker's own photo paper. Do <strong>NOT</strong> use cheap house brand papers from stationary stores such as Staples. The paper has to match up with your specific printer and ink to get good photos. There are few places that review 3rd party photo papers. Wilhem Research at</p>

<p>http://www.wilhelm-research.com/</p>

<p>is one place. Shutterbug magazine and Photo Technique magazine regularly review 3rd party paper.</p>

<p>Your editing software is very important as well. Get one that allows "soft proofing" to minimize the number of trial and error prints you will make. Calibrate your monitor with a colorimeter such as Spyder or Colormunki. If you decide to get serious, get a custom profile for your photo printer. Some models of the Spyder and Colomunki meters also do custom printer profiles.</p>

<p>Danny</p>