Durability of Mamiya 6 & 7

luis_rives

I was looking thru that infamous auction site and came across what I thought was an unusually high number of

Mamiya 6 & 7 with some type of damage. One the top plate had been replaced, another had a small chip in the

viewfinder, another one looked like it had taken a fall, all this got me thinking because I have been considering

getting a used 6. Is the plastic in these cameras strong enough to survive use? I know that current DSLRs are

constructed from what is referred to as "engineered plastic" and from having had some of these in my hands they

seem to be tough enough to survive. I know the 6 and 7 are great cameras with superb optics, but I just have

some doubts about their durability.

<p>Speaking for the 7, there are two recurrent issues that affect some cameras not others, these being rangefinder calibration and the other being the flimsy (my view) handle that raises and drops a curtain to facilitate lens changing without fogging the film. That aside I'm not aware of, nor did I experience in 10 years of mamiya 7 ownership, any other systematic problems. I think the bodies are robust enough, and certainly mine spilled out of a camera bag onto the road whilst exiting a taxi with no ill effects to the body,though a screw thread on a lens needed straightening. Lens recessing is less than with an slr and in theory that must make it more likely that coatings and glass get scratched.</p>

<p>Meanwhile the Mamiya 6 has been discontinued for over a decade now. Parts availability must be a question you should think about , and I think I recall an issue with wind-on that isn't solvable with Mamiya parts. Suggest you search the archive here to get the details, and if I'm misleading you then my apologies. Mamiya rangefinder repairs through the authorised distributors are notoriously expensive.</p>

<p>Personally I don't think that concerns about possible damage to or malfunctioning of used medium format cameras marketed on eBay should be restricted to Mamiya. </p>

<p>I don't think its a camera to last 20 or 30 years. Better off getting a dual systems such as a Leica/Voigtlander 35mm Rangefinder and something like a Mamiya RB for Mf portraiture and something like a Silvestri T30 w/ helical mount LF lenses and movements for MF architecture/landscape. This is my conclusion after many months of research and reflection.<br>

The issue with these Mamiya is high cost for the body, and its not up to the mechanical standard of its lenses.<br>

The only thing the Mamiya 7 has over the above alternatives is lens resolution. While the alternatives hold many advantages over the mamiya 7.</p>

<p>Here in Tokyo there are lots of 7s on the used market. Sixes are harder to find just because people so rarely let go of them. But I rarely see either of them in the junk bins (section of the store where broken or excessively worn items are sold cheaply) whereas I see lots and lots of 35mm SLRs there. And I see lots of Mamiya 645 bodies, Pentax 67 and 645 bodies etc. in the junk bin as well. I don't know if that means the Mamiya rangefinders last longer or just that there aren't as many in circulation. I would tend to disagree (at least partially) because I don't tend to think of 35mm cameras as viable replacements for medium format for most applications. And suggesting that Mamiyas have a high cost for the body and then recommending a Leica seems rather self contradictory. As for the RB, it does have a lot of wonderful applications and I love it, but in my case it wasn't getting enough use so I sold it and two 35mm rangefinders in exchange for a couple of Fuji medium format rangefinders. For me it was a great deal and I'm very happy with the results. </p>

<p>About the"6", I think durability is limited, mostly because the bellows, sooner or later, will show pinholes (mostly due high compression against certain parts in the inner of the camera).<br /> <br /> I try to reember there is also common issue with the winding mechanism... it is "user proof", but not "bomb proof". No spare parts, so if it is damaged, the camera became useless.<br /> <br /> About the plastic top, yes,it is made in plastic, don`t know if "cheap" or not... it has not a metal structure under it (we are talking about the top), so if it falls over concrete, more likely it will break. If it were metal, it´ll get dented (Leica, Nikon). I have an old 35mm metal Pentax that got inusable after a fall; the pentaprism housing were destroyed (now I remember the same issue with a Pentax 67... definitely I shouldn`t use Pentaxes ! :). Mamiya has never been other than "functional cameras". The "6" is a good sample.<br /> <br /> I have two "6" with a full set of lenses, and only one (the older, very first version) has shown its age with a couple issues. It has been repaired by me at home (pinhole, RF adjustment, misalignment) and one at the Mamiya headquarters (a broken screw in the winding lever). <br /> Lenses also show its age with sticky blades and bad contacts. Never experienced another issue.</p>

<p>I think "6s" are harder to find because there is famous old guru (the one who started writing over yellow pages) who said it is the "best world camera system, period"... as usual, people believe what they read, and it`s probably the reason of this lack of units and high prices on the second hand market.<br /> Well, I like the "6" so much, never felt the need of upgrading to the "7" (which, for sure, is better).</p>

<p>35mm leica/Voigtlander/Contax G2 etc have in common with MF rangefinder Mamiya 7 is lack of reflex mirror which allows wide angle lens designs in which rear element falls close to film plane, in many such lens allowing the elimination curvilinear distortion in the image.</p>

<p>I'm one of the few photographers who just can't stand seeing bulging strait lines in the negative/prints.</p>

<p>Of course, the Mamiya 7 has the 5x's larger negative. If you can afford it, I'd advocate buying a couple bodies (a pair and maybe a spare) if you're serious about it.</p>

<p>I have my Mamiya 7II for over 10 years.....(knock on wood) --- I have not experienced any of those issues.<br>

If the plastics are chipped. viewfinders is cracked ---- Mamiya never advertised these cameras as the 4x4 of rangefinders. In fact, majority of cameras will not survive owner abuse or accidents like being dropped on a concrete floor....<br>

You know, it will take a pretty good blow to the body of these cameras to sustain a crack.....<br>

If you are looking for a 4x4 type rangefinders that could take a beating...I suggest buy something cheap....</p>

<p>Accidents happen, a drop on to a hard surface, and it's hard to know what a manufacturer is thinking in terms of engineering a camera for what kind of abuse. Do manufactures know the publics average level of induced abuse? I would think that most Photographers that plan on being Photographers for in their lives, love their camera's enough to take good care of them. I've seen some of the results of poorly handled camera's, and how and why. Some people are just slobs. Everything they have is destroyed through negligence, and a devil may care attitude. Some camera's are beautifully made precision instruments, yet the operators treat them like baseballs. That doesn't mean the abuse group are bad Photographers, don't get me wrong, some of their work is just tremendous, but one would think they could exercise a little care. Not to make this about me, but I do appreciate the entire concept design of precision camera's, so I'm a clean freak when it comes to this, constantly eliminating dust. As for dropping camera's? I'll keep my fingers crossed, at least in one hand so I can hold on to the camera with the other.</p>

<p>I have had the 7 11 for about 6 years now. I am a different Jim Peterson, and not the one in Tokyo. Hi Jim. Anyway, overall it has been a workhorse. The picture quality still looks sharp as can be looking at chromes with a loupe so I have never sent it in anywhere to have the rangefinder alignment recalibrated. Why fix something that isn't broke. I do have a couple of issues on the body though which are a problem. The cable release socket is hogged out so I can't use it. I have to use the self timer. This is a bummer because I would sometimes like to take shots longer than 4 seconds using the Bulb setting. Also, there is a chip on the bottom of the body right near where you have to access the battery. I can't recall the moment that caused this. So for now I can't access the battery department. This is obviously a bummer also. So for now I am limping it along. I am planning to eventually get it in to Precision Camera Works I think in Chicago. I hope they can fix these problems. I think as long as it is there I will have it recalibrated also. As far as to the original post I would agree with others all cameras are susceptible to wear and tear. I wouldn't hesitate to get a Mamiya 7 11 and wouldn't let durability be an issue. If you aren't dinging it up a bit one probably isn't using the camera enough.</p>

<p>A lot of Mamiya 7's will have been used hard, simply because it's such a good camera, and ideal for demanding travel.</p>

<p>I've had mine for nearly 20 years, and it's had a hard battering in that time. But it's still going strong. In that time, of course it's had to be repaireds. Once the top plate needed replacing because I dropped it (or rather, it flew out of an improperly closed rucksack onto concrete). I did the same with a solidly built metal Nikon FM2 and a Contax G2 and the FM2 was a write-off, bent like a banana, while the G2 is barely working despite having been repaired. The Mamiya & came off best of the three. The plastic top plate of the Mamiya 7 absorbed the shock but cracked in the process. Happily it wasn't an expensive repair. Not a very scientific test, but I've no reason to complain about the survivability of the Mamiya 7 body.</p>

<p>I've had to have the rangefinder recalibrated two or three times. Not a particular problem.</p>

<p>The only serious working problem I have had was about three months ago while doing some demanding travelling. But that was a problem with the lens not the body - some screws were coming undone inside and the mount of the lens had shifted. Luckily some friends had a set of screwdrivers, opened the back of the lens, screwed it together, and it worked perfectly again.</p>

<p>Another failure I had last year was when I dropped it a second time. This far happily not far and onto carpet, but it was enough to break the separate viewfinder for the 43mm lens. Again, not a failure of the body, rather a lens accessory, and caused by me dropping it. Superglue sorted that one out.</p>

<p>BTW, I sound like a camera murderer - I don't think I make a habit of dropping cameras - I try to be careful with them and respect them - but over the years accidents happen.</p>

<p>It looks pretty battered now, but it's taken many thousands of pictures, been many thousands of miles, and the body has never stopped working. Of course, any camera can fail at any time, no matter who made it and what it's made of. But I've no reason to think it's going to give up any time in the near future.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have both cameras from new and have had no problems with either-- except for a jam of the collapsing lens mount on the 6, which was easily repaired by the Mamiya service center in New York. These cameras have traveled extensively, most notably several times to India and France and a few times to Mexico, always without damage or complaint. Still, I will add that I take very good care of them at all times and have never dropped either. I use the 6 exclusively with the 50mm lens, and the 43mm wide angle for the 7 is extraordinary. </p>

<p>As a very active photographer, working professionally, Simon's account gives me confidence in the Mamiya RF system. The undoing of screws in the lens assembly may have been due to high frequency vibration encountered in numerous airplane flights, hard to avoid, although cushioning of the equipment can help. I once purchased a second Mamiya 6 body, originally for colour and B&W simultaneous use, also as a back-up if one of the unfortunate breakdowns occurs (the Mamiya 6 possible film advance problem), but sold it when money was a problem. I think my current M6 body will work well into the future, and if it doesn't, my optics will still be useable with a then purchaseable second hand body. </p>