I almost went for 5Dii.... what a shocker...

<p>As I posted previously, I was in the process of getting my first FF. I almost pulled the trigger on 5Dii.<br>

What a shocker to find out that 5Dii has only +/- 2 stops for exposure compensation! That's not enough to do a decent HDR!<br>

I will have to spend $3500 just for a decent and basic camera!</p>

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Any of the 1D(s) series DSLRs all th eway back to the original 1D will give you up to 7 frames bracketing in steps of up to 3 EV. That gives you a potential 18 EV range. The 5D MkIII is the same. The 7D (and 60D) will do three shots at up to 3EV steps (6EV range).</p>

<p>The 5D and 5D MkII are both 3 shots at up to 2 EV steps (4EV range).</p>

<p>BTW EC and AEB aren't tied together. The 5D MkIII has +/- 5 EV EC but AEB is only up to 3EV per step.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What a shocker....<br>

...decent and basic...<br>

that's ridiculous! i need 3 stops for AEB to do HRD</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What a pity, the Canons are so incapable and crippled. Thank goodness you found out before you bought one.</p>

<p>+1 Richard.</p>

<p>- Which is the only reason you'd need to rely on AEB. Personally, I'd just shoot M, or RAW (if I felt it was a problem), which gives considerably more latitude in post (which you've got to do anyway)... and more than enough to make up the diff.</p>

<p>...my understanding is the only reason Canon expanded the AEB options on the 5D3 was because the sensor had no improvement in DR over the 5D2... ;-)</p>

<p>Christopher, maybe you need to look at Nikon. I mean how would you ever be able to trust Canon after this shocking indecency on their part?</p>

<p>There was another post earlier today, however, on the Nikon forum where somebody decided that some Nikons can't focus properly, so I don't know where to tell the two of you to go. On the other hand, .....</p>

"a decent and basic camera"

Maybe I'm showing my age, but I think of a decent and basic camera as something like a Pentax K1000. A camera that automatically cocks the shutter, shifts the exposures, and takes multiple frames (so they can be combined later) in a fraction of a second goes way beyond "basic." What's your idea of decent and basic transportation? A vehicle that can parallel park itself?

<blockquote>

<p>" What's your idea of decent and basic transportation? A vehicle that can parallel park itself?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Only if it has an electric parking brake and steers by voice command. "<em>A little bit to the left, no, a little more..and now back to the right please</em>". That's almost essential when you need both hands to text.</p>