Did they cheat?

riz

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I want to know that am I got cheated? On my asking, the showcase person of camera store showed <strong>Canon EOS Rebel T3i</strong> body and <strong>Canon 18-55mm AF II</strong> lens Made in Japan.</p>

<p>At home I saw that both body and lens are Made in Taiwan?</p>

<p>Secondly, please let me know is there any issue with Taiwanese made body or lens.</p>

<p>Shall I return and ask for Japanese made body/lens?<br>

<br>

Thanking you in anticipation,<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Riz</p>

<p>Hi Rizwan, you can poke around the web to see if the two manufacturing locations might have been related to the recent tsunami/quake event, but in general, you bought a Canon product backed by Canon warranty so it shouldn't mater where it's made. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>There is no issue and no problem. If your camera and lens were made in Japan, the price sticker would be much higher and you would not be happy to pay that price. Canon might still have some bodies and lenses made in Japan but they would be the top of the line models and cost maybe 10 times more than your camera and lens. You can of course complain to the shop and try to ask for discount. They should not misrepresent the goods they sell. But your camera is perfectly okay and as good as Canon can make it anywhere.</p>

<p>Cheat is perhaps a bit strong - misstatement of the country of manufacturing is more like it. </p>

<p>Canon, like Nikon has moved most, if not all of their consumer product offshore. The only stuff that either company still make in Japan is the pro-grade lenses and bodies. And my guess is that eventually that too will move offshore. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>As the standard of living goes up in third- and second-world countries under development, then the actual manufacturing, insofar as it involves human beings, moves to new places where labor costs are lower.</p>

<p>There are downsides to this, for sure, but rising standards of living in various parts of the world are of some value in themselves. That last-to-be-tapped of all "labor reserves" is now seeing development -- China is investing in cheaper labor plants in AFRICA.<br>

This is not the world that Queen Victoria and Cecil Rhodes dreamed of, thank goodness.</p>

<p>I'll bet that Canon never, ever said your camera was "made in Japan." You may have assumed it, and they may have let you do so, however.</p>