Lightroom 4 Mac OS X Lion - shutdown only from menu bar

<p>I have now switched to LR4 on my Mac - and it gets faster the more I use it. The only 'issue' I have is when shutting down. If I use the 'red window button' to close the programme (program) it appears to close but it actually remains open and freezes. All other applications run fine; but I have to force quite to get out of Lightroom. If I close using the menu bar - no problem. I think the problem is due to LR4 backing up and checking my catalogues each time I close. I know how to avoid the issue but I hit 'red' on occasion and just wonder if anyone else has had the same issue and if they have found a fix.<br>

I am using OS X Lion 10.7.4, iMac 27in Core i5, 16GB RAM late 2009.</p>

<p>I haven't encountered this problem, but I use LR permanently in fullscreen mode. That would avoid the issue quite easily.</p>

<p>Just press 'F' on your keyboar twice and the window- and menu bar will be hidden – the menu shows up on hover. This key command cycles through three window modes, so pressing it once more brings everything back.</p>

<p>Quit the application using Command + 'Q'.</p>

<p>I find myself using the main menu bar surprisingly little in LR. Most of what I need can be achieved in the palettes, via a keybord shortcut or the context menu.</p>

<p>I thought it was to do with saving the Catalog and it is. Turn Catalog saving off and the red dot works fine. For some reason, LR4 will close this way without first asking if you want to back-up the Catalog. The F and CMD-Q tip is what I typically do but on occasion I would hit the red dot and then wonder why LR4 would lock up. </p>

<p>In that case it isn't actually frozen and would eventually finish the job. I would strongly recommend against force-quitting. It might lead to incomplete or corrupt catalog backups, which defeats the purpose – just be patient for a little longer.</p>

<p>I have set LR to do a catalog backup once a day while everything is backed up by Time Machine over the network every hour.</p>

<p>The red dot doesn't "quit" any application, it just closes the window, LR is still on and running, but you just can't see it. Either use Command/Q to quit, or Quit from the menu bar if you want to shut down the application.</p>

<p>Does anything happen when you click on a menu bar item after you've hit the red button? </p>

<p>I don't use LR but the red button is a function of the OS so it's universal for all apps.</p>

<p>Peter</p>

<p>+1 to what Peter said.</p>

<p>Some, but by no means most, applications will completely close on clicking the red dot in the main window. Mostly it is applications that can have only one window. So most anything more complex than a calculator makes you use the menubar, or the Command-Q (the squiggly thing) shortcut.</p>

<p>BTW, if you use Lion, and have auto resume on, you should think about quitting apps with the command-Q regularly. Otherwise, they'll be up and running each time you boot the Mac. You may want this, but you also may not want every little thing you opened opening every time you start up.</p>

<p>The red button in the upper left corner closes the window(cmd-W). Cmd-Q is the fastest way to quit.<br>

Also, a few years ago, it was revealed that Lightroom shouldn't be running at all if you are depending on Time Machine to back it up. Something about corrupting the catalogs, incomplete backup, etc. <br>

Either control when LR backs up(I don't use the backup feature of LR), or control when Time Machine backs up(my choice).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Also, a few years ago, it was revealed that Lightroom shouldn't be running at all if you are depending on Time Machine to back it up."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I can't say whether that issue has been addressed by now.</p>

<p>However using both LR's backup function <strong>and</strong> Time Machine you would always have a 'healthy' backup of LR's backed up catalogs since they're never open when TM runs.</p>

<p>In my case, the red dot closes LR4 - if saving the catalog on quit is not enabled - and it is properly closed and not running in the background. Red dot in Photoshop just closes the window - which is how I got used to using it and wondered why the behaviour was different in LR4. </p>

>>> The red dot doesn't "quit" any application, it just closes the window, LR is still on and running, but

you just can't see it.

Clicking the red close-window button in LR will properly quit LR.

>>> I don't use LR but the red button is a function of the OS so it's universal for all apps.

Not quite universal. Any app can be programmed to detect the user clicking the red button, and then

programmatically quit the application. Usually, that only makes sense when apps can only have a single

window open, such as Apple's Digital Color Meter, App Store, and Airport Utility. There are exceptions

though - Apple's Disk Utility, PCalc, and others, where clicking the red button on the last open window will

close the application

www.citysnaps.net