Canon A1 or Olympus OM2N?

ralph_barker2

<p>I am considering getting back into film after a long absence. I tried digital and found it less fulfilling for some reason. I appreciate digital and all that, I just miss working with film. <br>

I want to shoot film, with a point and shoot digital cam on side, and have narrowed it down to those two. I looked seriously at the Nikon F2 but due to expense of lenses and extras i decided against it. <br>

Now I am down to the A1 and OM2N. I will be shooting all around photo without a concentration in any one particular scene/style. I am looking for best value (aka bang for the buck), durability and sustainability as well. By sustainability I mean will support be there several years down the road. <br>

I dont plan on doing anything too high tech other than maybe shoot a roll of IR once in a blue moon. So any advise would be appreciated. </p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>Personally I'd go for the OM2n over the A1 any time. I used the A1 for 10 years, and have an OM2N which I've used for the last 2 years. IMHO the viewfinder in the OLY is much better than the Canon. Canon, however, has a much wider variety of lenses for special purpose uses. I think your decision should be based on whichever you feel most comfortable with, ergonomically, and visually. Both are electronically driven, so support will gradually diminish for both. However given the low cost of both of them in today's market, you could just buy another body instead of paying a high price for repairs.</p>

<p>I have the Canon A-1 and an Olympus OM-1 MD.</p>

<p>I love both of them, and whichever of the two you're looking at you choose, you'll be OK.</p>

<p>The A-1 is a more complex camera, but one that rewards learning how to use it. If I had to choose just one, that would probably be my choice. partly because of the wide and inexpensive (still, though not so much as formerly) lens choices, referred to by Stephen.</p>

<p>However, at today's prices, why have just one? Get them both.</p>

<p>Be aware that either camera will need new light seals and mirror bumper if not already replaced.</p>

<p>The A1 is liable to suffer from the "Canon Squeal" which is caused by dried lubricant in the mirror linkage. It can be cured by a major strip down or, more riskily, by injecting a drop of oil via the base.</p>

<p>I personally like both cameras but the Olympus is simpler, the A1 being more technically advanced, but with (to me) a fiddly and complex control system. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I had the Canon A-1 and the Olympus OM2, both fabulous cameras but battery dependent and with aging electronics. My now two cameras of choice and use are: Canon F-1 (not the last version) the one referred to as F-1n from 1977/ the other is Nikon F2 with DP-1 finder. Both are totally mechanical not battery dependant save for match needle metering. I highly recommend, either as all functions except metering should button battery(s) fail. These two systems use highly regarded lenses and are built like trucks.</p>

<p>It appears that the OM2N has the shutter speed control as a ring on the lens. I have a Nikkormat FT2 that also has a shutter speed control ring on the lens. This has been my biggest complaint about my FT2 after having it for over 30 years. On several occasions I have accidentally bumped the lever for the shutter speed and inadvertenly changed the shutter speed without me realizing it until many shots later. I don't know if the OM2N would change setting as easily as my FT2, but it is different from the more typical dial at the top. I understand that some people prefer the shutter speed control as a ring on the lens.</p>

<p>If you want the F2, my personal favorite of all time, get one. Get two, KEH has them at very attractive prices. As for manual focus Nikkor glass, it too is well priced from the same source. $600 would get you two bodies and a bag full of glass. If not I think the OM series is a very cool and well made line of equipment.<br /><br />Rick H.</p>

I have seven Om-1/2 bodies. Been using them since 1976. Just sent 3 in for service (2 were just bought off of ebay for a song!).

Www.zuiko.com. The om-2 has 1/60 shutter speed if batteries die. OM-1 is all manual. Get the om-2 and have it serviced. It

will last you years.

<p>Have 'em both. Like 'em both. A simple solution. Do you wear eyeglasses? if yes get the A1. The Oly has a great finder but has a very short eye relief. Kind of hard to see the whole thing unless your eye is right up on the finder. Both great classics, though. Have fun!</p>

<p>Having serviced both models and their extended families, I would without hesitation recommend the Canon.<br>

Professional photographers also knew this so if you are looking at an A-1 give it a good look and if there is evidence of extensive use, such as major brassing, just move on as many excellent examples are available for a song today. Just make sure that the shutter squeal and light seals are taken care of.</p>

<p>An advantage of the OM-2n is that you can easily switch to manual mode with a simple needle for metering. Both camera and lenses are small and lightweight and the finder is really excellent.<br>

The shutter speed control ring around the lens bayonett is at first something you have to get used to, but for me it works really well. If you use the OM-2 in auto mode you don't need it. In manual mode I often realized that with conventionel speed dials on top of the body I always had a tendency to change aperture rather than speed when it had to be fast, with OMs this was far more balanced and it was easier to follow my own preferences than the ergonomics of the camera. The shutter speed dial has to knobs that are in a horizontal position when the camera is set on 1/30 and you get quickly used to feel from how the levers stand to know which speed you have.</p>

<p>Are you sure the F2 is out of reach? If not an F2, maybe an FM?<br /><br />The reason I ask is that pretty much any Nikon lens can be used on their better digital bodies, at least the Ai lenses forward. I use my old manual focus Nikkors on my D200 and D7000. If you build up a Nikon film system and then decide to try digital again, it's an easy switch. The FD mount Canon lenses cannot be used on Canon DSLRs. Not sure about Olympus.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The reason I ask is that pretty much any Nikon lens can be used on their better digital bodies, at least the Ai lenses forward.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sort of. See the Nikonian's list of compatibility with various newer versions of the mount (<a href="http://www.nikonians.org/reviews?alias=nikon-slr-camera-and-lens-compatibility">link</a>). It's not perfect, but the most comprehensive I know of.<br>

Very few of the non-AI lenses can be used, and even later ones have problems with through-the-lens metering on some models.<br>

However, the F2 is pretty well compatible with all the older lenses. In its original version it takes the non-AI and well as the AI lenses. They have gone back up since I got mine, but they have sometimes sold recently for as little as US$160, though more often around $250.</p>