Fuji Instant Film

timb196

<p>The only Fuji instant films I am aware of fit a Polaroid 405 pack-type holder. As far as I know, there is no single-sheet 4x5 Fuji instant film. Of course, even when there was Polaroid single-sheet instant film, it would not develop in a quickload holder.</p>

<p>FP100C, FP100B, and FP3000B will fit into a Polaroid 405 or Fuji PA-145 holder.<br>

FP100C45, FP100B45, and FP3000B45 will fit into a Polaroid 550 or Fuji PA-45 holder.<br>

None of Fuji's current offering work in a 545, quickload or readyload holder, although Fuji may or may not still be making Quickloads depending on who you believe. At one time Fuji announced it was stopped but then you could still find it fresh and some believe that means they are still making it. I don't see any on B&H's website at this time.</p>

<p>To expand on Dan's post, the Polaroid 405/Fuji PA-145 holders give 3 1/4 by 4 1/4 images and the Polaroid 550/Fuji PA-45 give 4x5. Either can be used with a 4x5 camera, but the 405/PA-145 essentially crop the image. These are all pack films, not individual sheets. <br>

The FP100C, FP100B and FP3000B can also be used with medium format cameras that have a Polaroid back.<br>

The wedge shape and weight of your (and my) 545 holder does make an excellent door stop however! ;)<br>

JD</p>

<p>I want to thank everyone for their time. I did indeed find out via reseraching this forum that basically my quickload holders are basically paperweights now WRT to instant film.<br>

Apologies for wasting y'all time<br>

Tim</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There are no instant films currently available new for the old Polaroid single-sheet holders. (And little enough second-hand. The Impossible project materials only fit the amateur cameras.) Sadly!<br>

I have about six sheets of Type 55 P/N left, dated 2006. It still works but I'm sure it won't for much longer. This was/is a lovely film, but agonisingly slow at an effective 25ASA or less. The other great problem was that if you wanted to see the neg while you were in the field you had to process it then and there and therefore carry a tank with a solution of sodium sulphite to put the film in. Plus the emulsion was incredibly fragile. But it could give nice results (see Mark Klett's superb re-photography work).<br>

Polaroid was really very useful but I've always found the Fuji instant films were more reliable and better made. In the last years before it folded, Polaroid quality control seemed to be very poor. The Fuji pack films are brilliant and well-made but I don't think they will last much longer. The lovely FP100B has already disappeared.<br>

However for "instant" negatives those on the LF forum will know that in fact it is really just as easy to get a great quality 5x4 almost instantly by exposing at 2 stops slower than stated ISO (averaging highlight and shadow readings), and then developing in PQ or similar at dilution 1:19 for about 1m30s to 2m at 20C depending on the contrast you want, with constant agitation. Rapid fix, 5mins wash, hang up to dry after a bathe in a solution of water and methylated spirits - the neg will be dry in under 2 minutes and ready to print.<br>

This is in fact much quicker than the Polaroid 55 process would permit if you were going straight to print. I use it with HP5, Tri-X, FP4 etc and it is most reliable for rapid results. Only downside is you need a darkroom close to hand, although it would certainly be possible to make a transportable small lab that would go in a car or van. It would be a bit like going back to wet-collodion photography only easier and less dangerous!<br>

Peter</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...