silicon photodiode light meter on a rangefinder ?

<p>Are there such old rangefinders using silicon photodiode light meter.<br>

I have a Nikon FG, which measures the instant light pretty precisely whereas olympus 35 RC barely measures the light, even can't measure most of the time.<br>

The reason I'm looking silicon photodiode light meter on a rangefinder is because rangefinders are pretty handy size wise.</p>

<p>It seems that you're out of luck. Camera meters with silicon photodiode or phototransistor are available on newer cameras like you FG. But by the time the FG was introduced the inexpensive rangefinder cameras were no longer made. Of course you can still get the Leica and indeed the M7 and MP have silicon photodiode. It's a pity too as I much rather have a modern inexpensive rangefinder like the 35RC much more than a P&S which killed the cheap rangefinder market. </p>

<p>The Cosina-made Voigtlander R series rangefinder cameras have silicon metering, but are more expensive than fixed lens rangefinders. The Bessa R takes Leica screw mount lenses and the R2 accepts M mount Leica lenses. Both are "match diode" manual exposure. Focal plane shutter which has a top speed of 1/2000 second. </p>

<p>Has the Oly 35RC changed recently, or is this how you have taken it to be since you got it? Certainly the CdS cells can get tired(oxidized contacts or otherwise). They also seemingly prefer to stay out of bright light when not being used.</p>

<p>The EV range of your Nikon FG is EV 1 to EV18.<br>

The EV range of your Oly 35RC is ONLY EV7 to EV18.<br>

Is that what you are interpreting as being unable to meter (low light)?</p>

<p>Jim M.</p>

<p>As Jim noted, the sensitivity of the Olympus 35 RC meter is very limited. This is typical for most cameras of that type. I just rechecked mine and the autoexposure mechanism locks up in ordinary household room light, around EV 5 or so. I needed to turn on several lights until the room metered EV 7 on my incident meter before the 35 RC would function in autoexposure mode.</p>

<p>Technically the 35 RC meter doesn't really measure the light in any useful way other than for basic point and shoot usage in daylight. It doesn't meter at all when the f/stop is manually selected. I like the little camera but rarely even bother to load a battery in it. I either tote my incident meter or just guesstimate the exposure. It's pretty easy if you stick to one film that you're familiar with.</p>

<p>If you need autoexposure sensitivity in dim light - indoors, outdoors at night - try an Olympus XA3 or similar XA model. The XA3 reliably and accurately handles autoexposure down to approximately 2 second long shutter speed durations (aperture varies depending on ISO setting).</p>

<p>Strictly speaking, not a rangefinder, but the original Konica Hexar AF had a first-rate metering system. One of the last film cameras I surrendered, and one of the few that I miss now and then. It took forever for Fuji to catch up to the concept digitally.</p>