I have gleaned the top 30 or so images from my mother's family albums and wish to make DVDs to mail to family

here in the US and abroad.I know some of the family members will take the media to Kmart if they want pics. I'm

not sure how they will handle it in Europe. I have saved all the images in JPEG format so they will be easy to

handle with most software. Is it best to put these images on a DVD? Best on CD? or maybe on a thumb drive? I'm

not planning to email them as it might be too much for some computers. Please advise if you have any suggestions,

and thank you in advance for any response. Bernie

<p>Hi Bernie - any of the suggested media would work...but a thing to keep in mind is whether the European family members' computers have a USB socket for the thumb drive (they ptrobably do). A blank DVD can hold a lot more pictures than a CD. I think you may get lower media mail postal rates for the CD or DVD, not sure about the thumb drive. I've done them all for storage and sharing... and personally prefer the thumb drive for its capacity. Good luck - I'm sure your family will appreciate your work.</p>

<p>I put jpg images on a cd and mail to client. If more space is needed I use a dvd. I put them in Memorex slim style plastic cd/dvd case and use a 6x9 envelope (not the Bubble Mailer). Case and envelope can be found at Walmart or most chain office supply stores. I usually wait for a sale when running low on cases, cds, etc.. Shipping in USA is around $2.00. Never had a problem from any client with this method. Sorry, but I have never sent anything out of the country.</p>

<p>I'm forever having to send people pictures both at home and abroad and although most of the time doing this with CDs or DVDs is without any problems, it can be a bit of a hassle (distance from PO, having the right size envelopes etc). Consequently, I normally arrange with the recipients that I'll be sending them as emails. This generally entails a long session at the computer but I personally prefer this and I get almost immediate feedback if something goes wrong (rather than irate emails because CDs have got lost/not arrived after the customers have been waiting for some time). If I'm sending off 30 pics, I send each photo in a separate email and mark each email with 1/30, 2/3, 3/30 etc. If 5/30 comes back to me because the recipient's mailbox is full, I wait till I've been informed that there is now enough room and continue sending. Just take into consideration the timechange if sending to Europe!</p>

<p>For maximum compatibility:</p>

<p>1) Burn to a CD, if the images will fit. Any computer or kiosk that has an optical drive can read a CD, most but not all, can read DVD.</p>

<p>2) Burn in the ISO 9660 format. Any computer that has a CD/DVD can read ISO 9660 disks.</p>

<p>3) Use 8.3 file names per the ISO 9660 Level 1 specification. Once again any computer that has a CD/DVD drive can read this level.</p>

<p>Here is a link describing the ISO 9660 specification and variants;<br /><br /><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9660">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9660</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>My father mails hundreds of CDs all over the world every year. He uses paper sleeves with a clear window and bubble envelopes. For overseas, you need to fill out a customs form. Make sure you indicate that they have no commercial value. </p>

<p>Using jewel cases or thin cases is somewhat risky, they are more fragile than the CD/DVD and if they break they could scratch the CD/DVD. </p>

<p>Regarding jewel/thin cases. You can get the post office to stamp ''Fragile'' or whatever on the envelope, but I usually forget.<br>

Also, remember to save your postal receipts and receipts cds, cases, envelopes, paper sleeves etc.. for tax purposes.</p>