Ilford FP 4 and D-76

<p>I've been trying to run exposure tests on my Mamiya C2330 S with a Secor 80 mm and a pretty reliable shutter. I'm using Ilford FP 4 plus and Kodak D-76 developer 1:1 at 68 degrees F. I am being pretty careful but am getting some confusing results. Is it likely that ASA 80 is still too fast for this combination? And if so, what is a recommended time for FP 4 Plus 120film in D-76 1:1?</p>

<p>tnx<br>

Warren</p>

<p>My best results with FP4+ in contrasty daylight was at EI 64, 9 minutes in ID-11 1+1 at 68F. That was for 35mm, but 120 would be pretty close.</p>

<p>I'm not familiar with the Mamiya TLRs but the Rollei and Yashica TLRs I've used, as well as most older cameras, tend to run a bit slow with most shutter speeds but were consistent at any given speed as long as the shutter wasn't gummed up. Have you tried testing at only a single shutter speed to reduce the variables?</p>

<p>This was my go-to combination long ago (actually, I've thought of returning to it after looking over some old prints recently)! With incident metering and my equipment/general technique, I had a true EI of about 80 for decent shadow separation. I did find that very gently inversions and slightly extended agitation times (90-120 seconds after an initial minute of gentle, slow inversion) helped to control highlight density. In general, it's actually a forgiving, flexible combination. </p>

<p>A quick guide that I've used successfully for years, is to place a Stouffer Zone wedge in one film frame with even light, metered carefully (incident). If I can make out separation in Zone 1 and 2, I find that this equates to full tone negatives and I only need to control my highlights with time and agitation tuning. It sounds too quick and casual but I am very comfortable with the results with almost any materials I've used it with. I have good densitometers but find that I hardly use them except for extremely detailed curve setting from time to time and the quick system gets me about the same results.</p>

<p>"... pretty careful...": measuring light? photographing gray cards and measuring the negs in a densitometer? Where you are _not_ extremely careful/controlled is where the problem lies.<br>

You are doing analog photography: keep *all* variables constant but one (not easy) - and confusion will got away. In practice: get yourself a camera with an electronically controlled shutter (and an on-specs light meter which needs a battery!) for dev time determination work. (My personal guess: a 'hot' thermometer and/or cool stainless steel tank causing systematic underdevelopment. Or inefficient way of doing the inversions. Or... or...)</p>

<p>I'm with Keith, too: look at your prints/scans.</p>

<p>Technical note: FP4+ is _per definition by the ISO_ of 125ASA/ISO in D-76 as D-76 happens to be the developer the speed determination proceedure is based on. (...) In the U.S.A., however, no film reaches box speed in D-76. Must be some Ansel Adams residue in the tap water.</p>

<p>Dev'd in Xtol 1+1 my FP4+/100ASA negs have plenty of shadow info - if printed on decent paper and with such intentions. By E.I. 250 much of the darker shadows have gone but what a look!</p>