Over exposure compensate

richard_wrede

<p>I got some pics back from my Yashica Electro 35 GSN and they're pretty much overexposed. I'have a 6v battery (5.3 system) but haven't heard too much about that being a problem. which way should I adjust the ASA to compensate? I'm thinking on a 200 ASA go to 400? (etc...)</p>

<p>If your lightmeter is consistently overexposing images, you can compensate by telling the light meter that your film is faster than it really is. So yeah, if you are using ISO 200 speed film, telling the light meter you are using ISO 400 should give you the result you want.<br>

I can't believe how long it took me to work that out in my head. If your camera's light meter is on the fritz, I recommend buying a good spot meter and shooting in manual.</p>

To make the determination that the images are overexposed, I assume that you are looking directly at the slides or negatives, since it is difficult determining overexposure simply by looking at prints produced by mini-lab equipment, since during the printing process, the automated equipment will try to compensate for different density levels on the negatives. I doubt that +1 stop overexposure on color print film would be noticeable (-1 stop underexposure would be a bigger problem).

I would check your meter readings against a reliable standard (like a camera you have extensively used and trust the meter), to determine the accuracy of the Yashica. As describe above, adjusting the ASA compared to the film speed you are actually using is a good way to go.