5D III light leak

paulferesten

<p>I tested my camera. The leak is real; in complete darkness the light meter was reading EV -3.7; when I turn on the LCD light it goes up to -3.0.</p>

<p>The meter is only rated to work down to EV 1, so technically I think it's within spec. EV -3 is around moonlight, or very dark interior, like a room lit by a few candles. Light meters and autofocus are not dependable in that kind of light, so realistically you'll be focusing and metering manually anyway.</p>

<p>I'm not planning on getting mine fixed.</p>

• 4 months later...

<p>I'm having a little trouble finding info on whether metering is affected in manual mode in a normal low light situation.</p>

<p>Say for example I'm shooting a low light cityscape in manual mode and I have the top LCD lit, will that affect metering and therefore produce an underexposed image if I go by what the meter is telling me?</p>

<p>My guess is that it would since the shutter speed is being told what to do via the light meter in Aperture Priority mode.<br>

Obviously you would have to either turn the LCD light off or adjust your shutter speed accordingly.</p>

<p>I don't really understand how this can be dismissed as a non issue if this is the case.</p>