How to sell, whether to sell, how much to sell for?

<p>I've had my Leica in a closet for five years. While I plan on using it this evening, I came across these used prices on the net today:<br>

www(dot)antiquecameras(dot)net/leicamlenses(dot)html<br>

I haven't followed Leica pricing in more than five years, so these lens prices just about knocked my eyeballs out! If they are anything close to accurate, I may not be able to afford the opportunity cost of keeping my M6TTL, 35/2 ASPH, and 90/2.8 Elmarit-M.<br>

A few obvious questions:<br>

1. Are these prices generally realistic?<br>

2. If not, where can I get realistic pricing info?<br>

3. Why have the lenses appreciated so much more than the bodies?<br>

4. Any recommendations for the best way to sell, considering both convenience and price?</p>

<p>Thanks so much!</p>

<p>I didn't look up your link, as the places I follow I think are quite up to date and realistic for used Leica gear: KEH, the big auction site (under completed auctions, not asking prices), and the L-Camera forum (run out of Germany and sort-of overseen or partially funded by Leica). Lenses appreciated because they can be used on micro 4/3 bodies as well as the digital Leica bodies...plain and simple, supply and demand. The best way to sell, IMHO, is to sell the items independently rather than as a package. I prefer to use the big auction site, but that's because I've been an active Leica buyer and seller for over 10 years there. You could also use PN's classifieds, or the L-Camera forum's classifieds. Or, you could sell thru a dealer, such as KEH, but expect a steep discount from what you see as asking prices.</p>

<p>Most serious amateur photographers, like me, have "seller regret" once they have sold a Leica. The only time this may not happen is if you acquire a Leica for small money, realize that it seems to work, looks good and you have no intention of using it, then selling the camera, hoping to realize a gain. My problem is selling a Leica and then regretting the transaction, you may have to spend serious money to buy another one. The growing economy has produced a hunger for Leicas in the far east, again as before. This accounts for higher prices along with vintage optics useful on current mirrorless digicams.</p>

<p>KEH's offerings are good for a decent retail price. A better idea of a 'seller's' price can be got by doing searches on eBay for "completed listings" over a couple of months to even out other variables. KEH or others of their kind catering to collectors can only buy it <em>from</em> you at a wholesale price. </p>

<p> On eBay you <em>can</em> get more, but do incur a risk that no one wants to pay much for it at the specific moment you offer it... You might look for Leica-oriented sites, some may have on-site listings catering to the collecting 'elite'.<br>

Only a relatively inexpensive lens should be offered with the body (where it may help bring a larger customer base). Otherwise, it's almost always better at places like eBay to sell separately.</p>

<p>Note that KEH pays about half of what they sell stuff for.<br /> The eBay market price for a reputable seller is typically 60-75% of the KEH sales price. When studying eBay prices, remember that the only ones that matter are the closed auctions where a sale actually happened. There are lots of sharks with Buy-It-Now prices on eBay that are 30% or more above KEH's retail prices, looking for a fool who is easily parted from his money.<br /> The prices on Don Colluci's page are pretty reasonable, for a while he was behind the times (low) on prices, but I think he's caught up.<br /> There is a very strong upward pressure on used Leica-mount lenses due to the success of the M8 and M9 cameras.<br>

Realize also that there's a large opportunity cost to <em>selling</em> a Leica lens. The prices only go up over time. They are not only tools, they are a good investment. It could be like selling Apple or IBM stock a year ago, instead of holding it.</p>

I caught the Leica bug in 1983 when I purchased am M4-2, a 35 cron, 50 cron, and 90 elmar, all new for less than 1800, tax included. I still have the gems, all in perfect condition, all in use. In that time I have added 4 more M bodies from M3s to M6s, and several more lenses. I have no intention of ever, for any reason, selling any of these remarkable instruments. As a matter of fact I will probably have them join me six feet under when I go.

<blockquote>

<p>The eBay market price for a reputable seller is typically 60-75% of the KEH sales price.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sometimes. There have been many occasions on which realized eBay prices have exceeded the prices charged for the same items by KEH, B&H, and Adorama. People more often than you'd think, get carried away in bidding, and fail to check what "retail" is.</p>

<p>John, as I am late to this thread I only intend to answer question 4: don't sell the lenses!</p>

<p>Both of them are only getting even more sought after. So if you liked them in the past, have liked them for what you shot over Easter, then just keep them. Rebuying in the future will surely cost you extra. The same is true for the M6TTL.</p>

<p>Both lenses are optically absolute first class (as of 2012!). Fully digital-able and all. Also way more easy on your shoulders than the 1.4/2.0 ASPH versions. </p>

<p>In your digital future: it is _very_ rewarding to go on trips with color(digital) plus b+w(film). If you drop some color negative film into your bag, you also carry the most economical and lightweight backup to an M8/9/10 there is.</p>

<p>It is never wise to sell such gear for purely speculative reasons (seller's remorse and worse). Try to remember why you bought it in the first place, then shoot a lot, shoot even more (daily, just a couple of pictures) and you'll see that owning and using that rig is so much better than having the money (minus the hefty paypal fees!...).</p>

<p>Have fun<br>

Pete</p>

<p>Leica is an expensive hobby, assuming it is a hobby. I'm 55 now with back problems and the Leica M's are a bit lighter to carry around than some other cameras so I used Leica M2s for quite a while (couldn't afford an M6 at the time). I bought an M8 when the M9's came out for a relatively decent price -- overpriced relative to similar digital capability, but a nice camera nonetheless with nice IR capability as well.</p>

<p>Now I'd like to get an M9 but even though I have more money than I used to, $7000 is a bit too much. I was hoping Leica would put out the M10 so I can pick up an M9 for something less than that, maybe $5K. The Sony NEX-7 is an attractive prospect, but I want to use my 35mm lens as a wideangle, not a telephoto and my 50mm as a normal. The M8 doesn't do that, but at least the 35mm is a normal on the M8.</p>

<p>With Leica though everything is just SO expensive. I'm not saying it's not worth it, but you have to have the money to buy the stuff and it is hard to justify.</p>

<p>If you're picking up an M3, make sure the reason you are doing it is that you like the 50-90-135 lenses the best. If you're more a 35-50-90 man, buy a servicable M2 instead. I have one older button rewind and a late model lever rewind that actually turns out to be a KS-15R (an M2 with the M4 loading system). The mechanical M's will probably outlast film, especially with Kodak going under. My M8 may go the way of my Contax RTS I (Kyocera/Yashica) which is unservicable due to unavailable electronics (and my RTSIII too).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It is never wise to sell such gear for purely speculative reasons</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />I agree.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I may not be able to afford the opportunity cost of keeping my M6TTL, 35/2 ASPH, and 90/2.8 Elmarit-M.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> I don't understand this. If you weren't thinking about selling them before you knew their value then there is no need to sell now.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p><strong>What I decided</strong>:<br>

The anti-sale people raised some good points. I decided to sell the M6 TTL body on the big auction site, along with the 90mm Elmarit-M. I'm keeping my 35 Summicron ASPH, CV 50 1.5, and CV 21.<br>

Reasons? Too hard to get film locally, and think that the next shoe to drop will be declining availability of minilab processing. No inclination to do my own darkroom work. Never been completely down with using telephotos on rangefinder; prefer SLR.<br>

OTOH, I can't bear to part with the Summicron, and it and the CV lenses will be very useful to put on a digital body.</p>

<p>Thanks for the ideas.</p>