Nikon Wednesday 2012: #12

Matt Laur

<blockquote>

<p><strong><em>Important:</em></strong> please keep your image under 700 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and <em><strong>please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</strong></em>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site</strong> (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).<br /><br />Are you <strong>new to this thread?</strong> The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are <strong><a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00W7km" rel="nofollow">right here</a></strong>: <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00W7km" rel="nofollow">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km</a>. Remember: only one image each week!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Less than 24 hours ago, as I type this, we tipped our way from winter into spring (earth-axis-wise, here in the northern hemisphere at least). The local flora and fauna were, courtesy of a warm winter, <em>well</em> ahead of the game. One of our favorite local orchards was well in bloom the other evening, and I waited by a very mature fruit tree to watch the setting sun paint its blossoms. The bees were buzzing, the pollen was making me sneeze - spring! Had your Nikon gear out to mark the occasion? Share a photo, and a Happy Nikon Wednesday, everybody!</p><div>00aASl-451721584.jpg.c774b373299eb5d157015c31224269c2.jpg</div>

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<p>Another Wednesday. So looking forward to everyone's contribution. My contribution comes from the photos of my girls on our walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. I used the wide angle to capture them sitting on the bench, downtown skyline, and the Manhattan side arch of the Bridge. Slightly saturated the colors.</p><div>00aASn-451723684.jpg.062dfaa16ee972cf70f5e8eac6d58827.jpg</div>

<p>We have had many a foggy morning this past week. The wet mist makes for some wonderful finds.<br>

While I am not a fan of spiders, the webs create the most wonderful canvas for mist and dew.<br>

Hope you enjoy.<br>

D 7000 105 mm macro .</p>

<p> </p><div>00aAT4-451731584.jpg.42e8a6ffed26652760db7a097e70c5d2.jpg</div>

<p>2 weeks ago, I attended my first-ever set of photography workshops. It was sort of prompted by all the comments I read over here to focus less on gear, more on training (and shooting). </p>

<p>Being currently on a long-term assignment in the deserts of the Middle East, I don't have many options around me so I jumped on a week-long set of workshops in Dubai named Gulf Photo Plus with the likes of Joe McNally, David "strobist" Hobby, Bobbi Lane, etc.</p>

<p>One of the classes was called The Beauty Shot, by Claire Rosen. Goal was to imagine, design and execute a themed shot from A-to-Z. It was more fashion-oriented than what I had in mind (portraiture) but I ended up really enjoying it. </p>

<p>I went for "Odalisque"-kind of look (you can easily google it to get to the original painting by Ingres but this being held in Dubai, my shot couldn't have nudity) and this is one of the resulting shots. </p>

<p>Fairly simple set-up: a 3x4 softbox on camera left, a gridded side light on the back curtain (-2 f-stops I think), no reflector (I am still doubting the wisdom of that last decision).</p>

<p>Nikon D7000 + Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 @ f/8, 1/250, 100 ISO</p>

<div>00aATH-451735584.jpg.821593e623219b4eff156b19fc6ff929.jpg</div>

<p>Beautiful start, Matt! We're still a ways behind in New England, but it's been really nice. Beauty of a classic winter landscape, Bogdan! Utterly captivating. I've continued my obsession with the Wood Ducks, this week featuring the lovely female "hen" (I'm sure she'd be insulted at that), who is a real sweetheart. Cheers!</p><div>00aATc-451739584.jpg.9459253c106cc5e369f476e0a06eb78b.jpg</div>

<p>When it is Springtime in Western Kentucky it is planting time. This is me doing what I love to do in the spring, plowing the fields. My neighbor is showing his single plow that was intended to be pulled by a Mule.<br /> phil b<br /> benton, ky</p><div>00aAU1-451747584.jpg.51e5d6a8f60188037d7283df514a5e93.jpg</div>