FD lock ring stuck

bill_force

<p>I mounted an 80-200mm lock ring lens on my AE-1 Program and it seemed ok but then when I tried to remove the lens the lock ring stops about 3/8 of an inch short of the 'red dot' position and I can't budge the lens? I tried all the buttons etc. but it won't move past that point. Is there a reason it becomes locked and how do I remove the lens?</p>

<p>Well FD fans, I have good news. There is a small screw (single) on the side of the lock ring, I removed the screw and it immediately turned the ring to the unlock position and I was able to extract the lens. I then reinstalled the screw and attached several lenses and all seems to be O.K. I still can't figure out how it got installed incorrectly in the beginning?<br>

Something to remember in the future if it ever happens to you, just remove the screw and the ring will turn.<br>

Thanks<br>

Bill</p>

<p>Normally, there are <em>two</em> screws on the breech ring about 14mm apart. Their purpose is to locate a small bracket that prevents the breech ring from unscrewing past the red index mark. Bill, was the second screw missing on your lens? If so, it's probably the source of your original problem. The small bracket would have loosened, jamming the lens mount.</p>

<p>Absolutely Canon 80-200 FD BL. I bought the lens used off the net and evidently one of the screws was missing and it had cocked the stop piece under the ring. When I released the only screw left it released the ring and it's O.K. now. I tried several other lenses and all seems O.K.<br>

I suspected something wasn't right when I bought the lens. When I opened the package the front lens element had come loose with the retaining ring and was lying separate. I live in South America with virtually no repair service and the trip here evidently vibrated it a bit. I had fun reassembling it and calibrating the focus but O.K. now. Whomever had the lens before I'm sure dissasembled it or maybe a service company but several things were loose. I put it back with "lock tite" on the screws and seems to be O.K, for $45. I'm not going to anguish about it. One of the problems with ordering items off the net is the return freight both ways costs more than the item, I never have returned an item, I just eat them.</p>