Warning: Peleng 17mm lens on 5D won't work

sorry_no_photos

<p>It's a beautiful little lens. Built like a tank. And if you take off the rear filter element, the mirror won't hit it (but then the range of focus will only go from a few centimeters to a metre). The Peleng website says that it will fit on a 5D, but I suspect that any full frame EOS body will risk damage to the mirror. Unfortunately, I found this out only after ordering it and receiving it after 3 weeks. And the people back in Belorussia don't seem to answer their e-mails. I've added a couple of photos taken with it after I removed the rear element.</p><div>00ZuAd-435583584.JPG.87cbe9d705bea78d98dca61a5f00f5a7.JPG</div>

<blockquote>

<p>And if you take off the rear filter element, the mirror won't hit it (but then the range of focus will only go from a few centimeters to a metre).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The range of focus rarely matters on a 17mm lens on a full frame camera. I'm sure most of your shots would be sharp with the focus left at the 1 metre setting. I know what you're saying though, it would be nice if you didn't have to mess around with this junk. It should perform as described.</p>

<p>A follow-up note: eastwavelens.com wrote to say that it should work with an M42 to Peleng adapter, as well as an M42 to EOS adapter. So I'll try that and update this thread when it arrives.<br /> Thanks for the reply Jamie, but this is what I got when I moved 2 metres away from the subject (cropped down to 700 pixels wide). I focused as best I could with a Brightscreen Accurfocus device, but the result was terrible. With the Accurfocus, I can immediately tell whether I'm going to get a decent focus or not.</p><div>00ZuMN-435769584.jpg.297ef4030f2d7ef4bed3105bdaf8026d.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Most recent update: eastwavelens.com says that my fotodiox M42 adapter is the wrong thickness (1.35mm's versus their adapter's 1.53mm's). So I've ordered theirs. And peleng8.com says that the rear filter that was attached to the lens they sent me is wrong (they asked me to send a photo of the filter to confirm). So now they're working on getting the supposedly correct filter. Sheesh!</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Another update: the 1.53mm adapter doesn't work either. peleng8.com and eastwavelens.com are (supposedly) still looking into the issue. I guess I have a few choices:<br>

--sell the lens on e-bay<br>

--buy a non-full-frame body<br>

--keep the lens for my 5D, but just use it as a macro lens (it does produce some neat results)<br>

--keep waiting for the so-called experts to find out what is wrong</p><div>00a1Z2-442983584.JPG.00e89593835c499d6311ce58ade94203.JPG</div>

• 7 months later...