Cant use pre 1981 lenses on newer Hasselblad bodies

jim_gardner4

<p>On page 131 of The Hasselblad Manual by Ernst Wildi, it states that up to 1981 C lenses had a unique barrel design with interlocked aperture and shutter speed rings with automatic depth of field scales, M and X flash sznc, and the built in self timer.</p>

<p>He goes onto say "It is not recommended to use these lenses on newer camera models."</p>

<p>Can anyone tell me why this is?</p>

One reason only:<br><br>The single biggest competitor of Hasselblad in the market was Hasselblad. Used Hasselblads sold very well, for lots of money, cutting into the sales of new Hasselblads.<br>They tried several times to take used equipment out of the market, so people had to buy new equipment instead and they could earn some money.<br><br>Wildi's recommendation is part of that effort. There is no more to it than that.<br>Hasselblad even used the compatibility of everything (post-1957) with their latest cameras in advertisements themselves.<br>None of it worked either: people knew very well that everything - old and new - went together perfectly.

<p>Well, it seems Q.G. and I are in complete agreement for once. ;-)</p>

<p>The shutter speed/aperture interlock was a standard feature (EV system) of Compur shutters of that era, not unique to Hasselblad. The interlock is easily disengaged by pressing a lever, allowing either parameter to be set independently.</p>

<p>The Prontor shutter, used in the CF and later lenses, has the same interlock available, but it is disengaged by default and must be manually engaged when desired.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There are many valid reasons to avoid using older "C" lenses, including stiff focusing, narrow, sharp focusing rings, poor ergonomics and (most important) age and availability of repair parts. Compatibility, however, is not an issue. Even the optics are largely unchanged.</p>

<p>The only admonition I recall from the Wildi book regarded using "C" lenses with 200 cameras - a potential timing issue with the focal plane shutter. I did not find this to be the case.</p>

<p>Thanks all. The reason for asking is that I have a 2-3 year old 503 and 3 CFi lenses. I am quite precious (some would say far too much) about taking them out on a motorbike, walking through London streets at night etc with them (I had to work very hard to get them) and one day I would like to get a beaten up 500 or 501 with a couple of old lenses for this perpose.</p>

<p>I wanted to be sure lenses and bodies were interchangable.</p>