storage of undeveloped film?

<p> Cold temps will slow the continued slow fogging that occurs to exposed films. Silver based B&W stores better than any color film. Color films can have shifting in their dyes. It is always best to process ASAP. That said, either color or B&W exposed films will keep fine for a few months in the freezer.</p>

<p>The best latent image image keeping I have seen was with Agfapan 400 (pre-APX). The worst was Ilford Pan F+. A few years ago I developed a number of rolls of old b&w film for a family friend. They were shot in the 1970s. The 400 speed ORWO film was badly fogged. The Tri-X was fogged but not as much. The Plus-X was surprisingly good. I have used 5069 (HIgh Contrast Copy) many years past its expiration date and also have developed 5069 many years after it was shot. In both cases there was no visible fog. As long as the film is kept dry and cool it can withstrand some wait between being exposed and being developed. </p>

<p>There are two factors at work with latent image keeping. Fog continues to build up in unexposed grains just as it does with unexposed film (The unexposed grains don't know that some of their neighbors have been exposed.) The fogging that comes from chemical reactions can be slowed down by storing the film at low temperatures. In a freezer, it almost stops. The fogging that comes from background radiation will continue. </p>

<p>The other factor is the fading of the latent image A latent image spec with 4 or more atoms of metallic silver is fairly stable, but some of them will be oxidized back to silver ions as the film ages. The result is an apparent speed loss in the film. This effect also responds to temperature.<br /><br />If you want to store exposed film for years, it would be best to put the film in a moisture resistant package and store in your freezer. With high speed film (ISO 400 or greater), don't wait for more than a year or two. B&W film can be very forgiving. You will still get acceptable prints after many years of storage, but for the best results, process promptly. </p>

<p>I store unexposed but sealed film in the fridge. </p>

<p>Isn't there a possible issue with exposed film being stored in the fridge in that the moisture could wreck it?</p>

<p>I keep my exposed film in a cool, dark and dry place until I have time to develop. Would the fridge be better? (we're talking 2-4 weeks exposed/undeveloped)</p>