will I regret a 5D MK 2?

rdavis

<p>I agree with many of the posters here that file size should not be deal breaker here. After all, image quality is what really counts. Get the MK II. I have seen so many amazing images from this body, and I wished I could have afforded one, but I had to settle for the 5D MK I, and sold my 40D. Yes, that is right....I bought older technolgy, which many may say is crazy, but I am into prints, and the prints I am getting from my 5D have put a smile on my face. Maybe wait until the MK III comes out so prices on the MK II come down, and then get a MK II. Good luck.</p>

<p>I must respectfully disagree with John Crowe. The 36MP resolution of the upcoming D800 is a technical marvel, to be sure; but it achieves those megapixels at the cost of low-light performance (6400 ISO native). It is rumoured that a 5DmkIII will be released within weeks, with a speculated 22MP sensor, capable of 25k ISO native (expandable to 100k). You'll rarely regret having not enough pixels with a 5D Mark II(I), but there will be many times you'll wish you had a couple of stops more ISO performance. :)<br /><br />The high resolution of the D800 will come at another cost in terms of IQ: it's very likely that the sensor will out-perform current lenses, so that cropping well into the image will simply resolve more lens aberrations. This was a known issue with the 5DmkII - on its release, lens defects that weren't visible with lower resolution sensors became visible at 100%.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>This was a known issue with the 5DmkII - on its release, lens defects that weren't visible with lower resolution sensors became visible at 100%.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is nothing new, there always was film that could out resolve lenses, otherwise how could you use a test chart to determine the resolution of a lens?</p>

<p>Edit: It's only been since the retail marketing of electronic image capture devices that the resolution of the device was less than current optical technology or film. </p>

<p>I owned a pair of 40D's back in 2008 and sold the bodies and lenses to buy a D700 which I liked so much that I bought a second body the following year. Recently with the price drop, I bought a new 5Dmkii and a refurbished 35mm f1.4 L (the focal length not covered by my Nikon lenses) - $1,000 less than a new D700 & 35mm 1.4 G would have cost. As a former owner of a 40D and current owner of a D700, I am amazed at the 5Dmkii's resolution and low light performance; I post process minimally in LR3, reduce the noise a bit and with the 135mm f2 L focusing is quite fast.</p>

<p>Yes, you will probably regret buying a 5DII right now. In a few weeks/months when the 5DIII is released you will either decide you should have waited to buy the new camera, or waited until the price dropped on the old one. </p>

<p>Since you have a camera that's been getting you by, there's no rush, and there's good reasons to wait a bit.</p>

<p>I was at the WPPI convention this week and saw a presentation by Nikon on the D4 and the D800. The presenter showed beyond 100% crops of photos he had taken the day before with the D800 and they were still quite sharp. They were shot in RAW with no post processing. The crops were sharp and did not seem to out resolve the lens. He was showing them on a very large monitor (over 60"). He also showed shots at ISO 12,800 that seemed to be usable. The point of all this is, that the little bit that I saw during the presentation would be enough to make me pause before rushing out to by a new camera system. There will be comparison tests in the next few months between the 5D Mk2 and the Nikon D800 and it will be interesting to see the results. I would be willing to wait. The presenter had been using the camera since late last year so he had a good feel for what the camera was capable of.</p>

<p>Thanks for sharing your WPPI experience John - that's interesting. It would be interesting to see 100% crops across a number of commonly used Nikon lenses; if I was a Nikon presenter, familiar with this particular body, and had several months to try different lenses, I'd probably choose crop samples using only the very best lens I could put on it. :)<br /><br />It will be interesting to see some of the inevitable future tests of the D800 with a variety of different lenses and lighting situations; and to see what the 5D Mark III brings!</p>